Bye med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiringdoctor_56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I failed a class first semester got a 1.8 gpa. They say you can say that the failing grade was a fluke by doing REALLY well on the retake. However this class is just terrible. I'm gonna get a B- probably after failing it. IF I get a C- or a C or even a D(worst case scenario) am I doomed since I didn't get an A or B on the retake? I'm doing well in my other classes it's just this one class. I feel like i could get an A in my other classes after I pass this class. Would a gpa of 3.8 help my chances? I'm trying as hard as I can but all I can get is a C. I hate myself so much rn. Someone plz give me hope and tell me I'm going to be ok. I'm crying.

Members don't see this ad.

Which class is this? Is it a pre-req?

What do you want us to do? Pat you on the back and feel sorry for you? That won't change anything. You ****ed up. You know what you have to do to dig yourself out of this hole.

This isn't a pity party.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Chill dude, it's just grades.

Reactions: 3 users
Gen chem 1

Sorry, but if you end up with a D during a retake of gen chem, you have bigger issues than just one bad grade. Come back when you actually have a grade and then maybe we can give you more meaningful advice. A D in a retake is a lot different than a B in a retake.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you want us to do? Pat you on the back and feel sorry for you? That won't change anything. You ****ed up. You know what you have to do to dig yourself out of this hole.

This isn't a pity party.

No way. I was just saying someone who has been through something like this could say how to boost my app/motivate me with their story of how they overcame something/bring positive thoughts. Thanks for encouraging me to keep going no matter what happens! I totally appreciate it.

Sorry, but if you end up with a D during a retake of gen chem, you have bigger issues than just one bad grade. Come back when you actually have a grade and then maybe we can give you more meaningful advice. A D in a retake is a lot different than a B in a retake.

I'm probably not gonna have a D I'm most likely gonna have a C+/B- is this gonna be a deal breaker if I have a high gpa at the end

Drop the course and go see your school's learning or education center, STAT.

Ok so I failed a class first semester got a 1.8 gpa. They say you can say that the failing grade was a fluke by doing REALLY well on the retake. However this class is just terrible. I'm gonna get a B- probably after failing it. IF I get a C- or a C or even a D(worst case scenario) am I doomed since I didn't get an A or B on the retake? I'm doing well in my other classes it's just this one class. I feel like i could get an A in my other classes after I pass this class. Would a gpa of 3.8 help my chances? I'm trying as hard as I can but all I can get is a C. I hate myself so much rn. Someone plz give me hope and tell me I'm going to be ok. I'm crying.

Reactions: 10 users
No way. I was just saying someone who has been through something like this could say how to boost my app/motivate me with their story of how they overcame something/bring positive thoughts. Thanks for encouraging me to keep going no matter what happens! I totally appreciate it.

You can boost your app by actually learning the material.

Reactions: 5 users
Ok guys I'm NOT gonna get a D. Would a C+/B- be okay in a retake? I'm trying as much as I can

A C+ in a pre-req the first time around isn't good. What is your plan for gen chem 2? O chem? Biochem? Because if you can't do well in gen chem 1, how are you going to do well in a class that builds off of gen chem 1?

Reactions: 1 users
Okay so here's the deal with gen chem 1 for most freshman:

1. you want to memorize and barf out answers using the formulas you know BUT ... you failed to realize college is not = high school
2. instead of a simple problem using the compounds you're used to seeing, you got some wacky-@#$ junk that spun your head
3. you want to just memorize things instead of understand (1s2, 2p6, 3s1, etc)

Here's how to ACE gen chem:

Understand how to get ALL variables in an equation... all of them... what different ways can you get P or n or T or V if not implicitly given the variables?

IF you can do that for ALL equations, my hunch is that you will ACE gen chem (and orgo, and physics, and biochem, and ... ).

So what did I do? I drew a process map. AND ... I did EVERY assigned book problem AT LEAST once... many of them twice. Just to make sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
A C+ in a pre-req the first time around isn't good. What is your plan for gen chem 2? O chem? Biochem? Because if you can't do well in gen chem 1, how are you going to do well in a class that builds off of gen chem 1?

Do you mean the second or the first time? Let's say I get a B- would that be okay? I'm not gonna take orgo gen chem cuz I'm changing majors

Do you mean the second or the first time? Let's say I get a B- would that be okay? I'm not gonna take orgo gen chem cuz I'm changing majors
Organic chemistry is a pre-requisite for the MCAT and for most medical schools.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Okay so here's the deal with gen chem 1 for most freshman:

1. you want to memorize and barf out answers using the formulas you know BUT ... you failed to realize college is not = high school
2. instead of a simple problem using the compounds you're used to seeing, you got some wacky-@#$ junk that spun your head
3. you want to just memorize things instead of understand (1s2, 2p6, 3s1, etc)

Here's how to ACE gen chem:

Understand how to get ALL variables in an equation... all of them... what different ways can you get P or n or T or V if not implicitly given the variables?

IF you can do that for ALL equations, my hunch is that you will ACE gen chem (and orgo, and physics, and biochem, and ... ).

So what did I do? I drew a process map. AND ... I did EVERY assigned book problem AT LEAST once... many of them twice. Just to make sure.
Glad I saw this. What would you recommend that I should do to prepare for this? I take environmental science 1 and taking the 2nd part to the class next year for highschool. When I get to college I probably won't even remember how to do basic highschool chemistry.

Organic chemistry is a pre-requisite for the MCAT and for most medical schools.

How would you guys think this would look to grad schools? Would retaking the course show determination since I'm not taking any chem courses after this one?

@Monkey.King - finish high school :)

you don't really have to remember gen chem from high school; you get taught everything again, just in more detail...

Glad I saw this. What would you recommend that I should do to prepare for this? I take environmental science 1 and taking the 2nd part to the class next year for highschool. When I get to college I probably won't even remember how to do basic highschool chemistry.

Well this answers the thread title :(

I'm proud to say goodbye to med school. Grad school?

How would you guys think this would look to grad schools? Would retaking the course show determination since I'm not taking any chem courses after this one?
I'm sure there's another website out there where you could get better advice concerning graduate school.

Reactions: 2 users
How would you guys think this would look to grad schools?
Lannister answered. We're premeds. Graduate school does not = medical school and most of us can't help you on that front.

As an aside, however, until you learn to study and learn more effectively, you'll be screwed for any type of graduate school as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Bluntly: you will NOT get into ANY medical school WITHOUT organic. None. Zip. Zilch. WITHOUT gen chem, you cannot take orgo.

It's that simple. Med schools do not look for or want students looking for the "easy" way ... sorry.
Like I said I'm not going to med school hahaha

Then good luck to you :) But as I stated AFTER I edited my post, you are screwed for graduate school as well until you learn to study effectively.

Good luck to you! :)

Lol f*** med school I'm done

TombstoneBye.gif

Reactions: 4 users
And I'm proud. why would I study for basically my whole life and drown in loans from med school? Not worth it for me at least. Good luck to you guys!!!!!

Thank you! I'm sure those of us on here are pretty darn excited about pursuing our dreams :)

Then good luck to you :) But as I stated AFTER I edited my post, you are screwed for graduate school as well until you learn to study effectively.

Good luck to you! :)
Lannister answered. We're premeds. Graduate school does not = medical school and most of us can't help you on that front.

As an aside, however, until you learn to study and learn more effectively, you'll be screwed for any type of graduate school as well.

I'm gonna get a B- on the retake and I have A's in my other classes. Gonna have a 2.8 after freshman year.

I'm proud to say goodbye to med school. Grad school?
Lol f*** med school I'm done
And I'm proud. why would I study for basically my whole life and drown in loans from med school? Not worth it for me at least. Good luck to you guys!!!!!

Regardless of what you pursue, you should address your deficits/setbacks and make sure you do well in future classes.

I work with freshman failing gc1 every day at work. See your schools learning center. Don't bother taking upper level sciences and be wary of Orgo until you make serious changes

lol. so in less than 51 minutes (time of your original post on this thread) to now:

1. you've gone from crying about a "C" in gen chem after retake
2. you've gone from worrying about medical school and getting in

to

screwing med school, getting a B- in gen chem and thinking grad school?

Reactions: 6 users
I work with freshman failing gc1 every day at work. See your schools learning center. Don't bother taking upper level sciences and be wary of Orgo until you make serious changes

Not going to. This Chem is killing me. Glad I'm changing majors

lol. so in less than 51 minutes (time of your original post on this thread) to now:

to

Lol I never said I got a C. I just said I think I'm gonna get a B- when final grades go in. Probably not a C just looking at the worst case. Yeah a bit dramatic. Funny how life goals can change in a matter of minutes. Screw med school. There I said it.

I got a D the first time I took physics (with calculus). I retook it and got an A a couple of years later and beat out all the engineers as a non-engineer. Even got invited to some special course that like 10 people out of a 200 person lecture hall class got invited to. You aren't dumb, you just need to learn how to study.

I got a D the first time I took physics (with calculus). I retook it and got an A a couple of years later and beat out all the engineers as a non-engineer. Even got invited to some special course that like 10 people out of a 200 person lecture hall class got invited to. You aren't dumb, you just need to learn how to study.

Yeah but I'm retaking it and gonna get a C+/B- not an A im just not made for being a science major I guess

Thanks for the support man

Yeah but I'm retaking it and gonna get a C+/B- not an A im just not made for being a science major I guess
It's an improvement. You don't go from being an F student to an A student overnight. It's all how badly you want it and whether or not you are willing to keep trying harder to improve. You have to put in the hours in order to get the grade. For chemistry, read the chapters, do the in-chapter sample problems, and then do all of the assigned homework problems and any practice tests the professor may have. If you haven't done all of these things, then it's your willpower/work-ethic to blame for your bad grade, not your intelligence.

@Ad2b "Bluntly: you will NOT get into ANY medical school WITHOUT organic. None. Zip. Zilch. WITHOUT gen chem, you cannot take orgo."

There is no medical school that does not require organic chemistry?

@Ad2b "Bluntly: you will NOT get into ANY medical school WITHOUT organic. None. Zip. Zilch. WITHOUT gen chem, you cannot take orgo."

There is no medical school that does not require organic chemistry?
I'm pretty sure all med schools require at least orgo 1. Some let you take biochem in place of orgo 2.

Is this a " grade deflating " school ?Is it a top" very competitive" school? If so , you might need to take some easy courses, get your GPA up ( you can't transfer to a decent school now), and transfer to an easier school. The work only gets harder. I know people may say that transferring is not the answer, but some schools are way easier than others and GPA trumps everything. Just my opinion.

I'll be honest, it ain't easy to climb out of the hole but it is possible. I had a 1.93 my first semester after getting a D in gen chem and D in Bio I, second semester I had straight B+s except for the W when I dropped gen chem II, retook gen chem II over the summer so I could take orgo. After that I had a 3.8-4.0 every single semester after that. Fing up is not good, but you can recover if you put the work in. For me, I just couldn't understand gen chem for my life no matter how hard I tried, my retake of gen chem I got B+s after literally spending every waking minute of my life working on it.

This thread has literally made my head spin.

Reactions: 4 users
@Link2 - well, the caveat is that many are moving to a morphed requirements list with nothing specific but a STRONG recommendation for biochem ... and AFAIK, biochem required orgo

But if you take a gander through the MSAR, it is VERY difficult to find any med school that does not require orgo. Moreover, I wonder how well the MCAT will go without it...

Figuratively!!!!

But at this point ... I am certain this OP can't be for real.

Right?

o_O

You're kidding right? This kind of thing happens every day. There's a reason they call them "weed out" classes. Only 12 people made it through my 50-person biology sequence at a community college; even fewer of them were pre-med. This does not surprise me one bit.

to

Unfortunately, that's how the weeding out process for many pre-meds goes.
Is this a " grade deflating " school ?Is it a top" very competitive" school? If so , you might need to take some easy courses, get your GPA up ( you can't transfer to a decent school now), and transfer to an easier school. The work only gets harder. I know people may say that transferring is not the answer, but some schools are way easier than others and GPA trumps everything. Just my opinion.
Running away from a problem never solves it. He's gotta hit it head-on, or else he's just kicking the can down he road. It's probably harder to do well at any U.S. medical school than even the hardest undergrad schools. Med schools have the straight A student's FROM those tough undergrad schools.
You're kidding right? This kind of thing happens every day. There's a reason they call them "weed out" classes. Only 12 people made it through my 50-person biology sequence at a community college; even fewer of them were pre-med. This does not surprise me one bit.
Sometimes you have to be a stubborn weed and tell that gardener "**** you, I'm staying right here!"