C in Chemistry or Withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

One Fly Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

I also vote with withdraw. You've seen how many posts there are on this forum about people stressing out about having received 1 or 2 C's. They won't destroy your chance to get into medical school, as many people apparently think they will, but chances are that you'll stress out about them anyway.

efT4R.jpg

Withdraw and retake. One "C" on your transcript isn't killer, but you don't need it. Also, you should understand genchem on an "A" level for future classes and MCAT studying.

I'm in the same predicament for Bio 2. I screwed up the first exam (things came up and couldn't study much), and debating on if I should work hard really hard for a B, or change my grading option to "audit" so that I don't receive a letter grade, and just ace the class in the Spring. I'm leaning toward the audit option, because I'm confident I'll get an A after going through the class once. The likelihood of getting a C in a prereq like Bio doesn't sit well with me, especially since my only issue is the first exam.

If you're already at the point where you don't think you can get a grade higher then a C, you need to change the grading option for the class, or just withdraw. Look into your school's policy on changing to audit status. If you're a quarter system, it might be too late. Either way, the C can be a D, so that's another reason why you should drop and continue taking the class to be well prepared with the redo.

If you are anticipating a C and are past the drop date either withdraw or P/F the class if that is still an option at your school. I have one C on my transcript, but I was not expecting that grade and could not withdraw from the class because I would have lost full-time status. Just that one C has lowered my cGPA by 0.05, not necessarily killer but kind of a pain.

It won't kill you but it doesn't help. I got a C in gen chem. Didn't retake but made A's in both orgo and both biochems to make up for it. It got painful to enter that C into applications though over and over.

If you are anticipating a C and are past the drop date either withdraw or P/F the class if that is still an option at your school. I have one C on my transcript, but I was not expecting that grade and could not withdraw from the class because I would have lost full-time status. Just that one C has lowered my cGPA by 0.05, not necessarily killer but kind of a pain.
Full time status for what?
Also I think I'm going to be a non-science major, so I think a C will kill it for me.

definitely don't take a C

but make sure you can't pull your grade up first---

Cs may get degrees but they don't get MDs