C+ in Gen Chem 1.......what now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs0147

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took my Gen Chem 1 on Saturday and got an 80%. After adding up all the points I've earned this semester, I learned that I have earned a C+ in the class. I'm worried for a few reasons.

1) My BCMP GPA suffers. I used an AMCAS calculator to figure it out. It is currently a 3.33 (I got an A in Calc 1, and I will probably get an A- in Chem 1 Lab), while my overall is a 3.55.

2) It's the lowest final grade that I have ever gotten for a course in my life, and I'm worried about having this "blemish" on my transcript when I apply for medical school, as Chem 1, although a weed-out course, should theoretically be the easiest of the 5-semester sequence of general/organic/bio chemistry that I'm going to take. So I'm worried that if I didn't have much success in this course, I won't do much better in future, more difficult chem courses.

3) I have to tell my parents, who have oblivious to my struggles in Chem 1 and my grades in general. So I will be taking a lot of crap from them.

I know that I can learn from my mistakes this semester, at least to a certain extent, and I'm going to work insanely hard from the get-go next semester and aim for an A or A-. But even after dealing with my own disappointment (in addition to that of my parents), I'm still worried about the long-run impact of this mistake.

So, any information or advice would help.

PS: I'm a college freshman, biology major, pre-med, and I finish my first semester tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of applicants have bounced back from even worse freshman GPAs than yours and have managed to get accepted into an MD school. Just figure out how you can improve and go on from there. Since you're still a freshman, you have lots of time to increase your gpa. As for the parental thing, that's a personal issue that you have to find out how to handle. But as for your grades, there is lots of time!

As long as you stay the course, you'll be a doctor. Now whether or not you take a vacation in the Caribbean for 4 years is up to you :thumbup:

It's not a bad freshman semester. You just need to figure out what worked and what didn't with studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have lots of time to bring your GPA up. Speaking based off what other people have generally said on the forums, as long as you show an upward trend and can pull off a 3.6/3.7+ and secure a solid MCAT score 30+, then its unlikely that a C+ will hold you back. You just need to show that you can handle difficult coursework, taking upper level classes that are more difficult than general chem and getting A's in them should be able to show that.

Plus you're a freshman, adcom's may be more understanding since its your first semester and you can easily say that you were still getting adjusted to college life.

1st semester freshman worrying about a 3.3......-_-

wtf dude, you haven't soiled your chances of med school, or even MD school. Just rebound next semester, you'll be alright!

2) It's the lowest final grade that I have ever gotten for a course in my life, and I'm worried about having this "blemish" on my transcript when I apply for medical school

..welcome to college? You should probably know by now that college courses are way harder than what you've taken in high school. Everyone else is also a lot more competitive. You need to realize that you have to try much harder to get those As, but that being said, this one bad grade is definitely not going to keep you out of medical school. Calm down..

1) Figure out what you did wrong and fix it.
2) Try to get As from now on. Usually try to better plan your semester, so that you're not overwhelmed.

Relax, you're only a freshman with one semester's worth of grades. You still have plenty of time to rebound. Take it as a harsh learning experience and figure out the most efficient way of studying. Better to learn this at the beginning of your college career than in the middle with O-Chem. Trust me.

I take it you'll be doing Chem II next semester? I found that doing loads of practice problems was the most helpful for Gen Chem. The conceptual stuff isn't all that bad, but working tons of problems is a must.

I don't think that you should lose too much sleep over this. It's only your first semester, you're getting used to how it all works. The fact that you got an A in calc I should be a testament to your intelligence. Just make sure to give it your all next semester and I'm sure you'll do great.

As for your parents... Just tell them the truth. It's going to be hard to break the news but explain the situation to them and how you probably feel worse about the C+ than they do.