C in Orgo I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desibeats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I studied a lot..harder than I've ever studied before, but screwed up my first exam. I passed and will continue to take Orgo II, but should I retake Orgo I over the summer or in the Fall to "prove" to med schools that I can do better? My GPA will go down, but I don't want this "C" to narrow my options down.

Members don't see this ad.

Not if you're solely going MD.

And there have been about 100 of theses grade threads since the semester ended 8/

That would seem risky, what if you got another C or an only slightly better grade like a B-?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake unless you are applying to DO programs. One C will not hurt you that much, if AT ALL. Do well from here on out and you will have plenty of options.

So I studied a lot..harder than I've ever studied before, but screwed up my first exam. I passed and will continue to take Orgo II, but should I retake Orgo I over the summer or in the Fall to "prove" to med schools that I can do better? My GPA will go down, but I don't want this "C" to narrow my options down.

you're gonna be fine. i got a c+ in orgo 1, a c in orgo 2 and I got into my top choice medical school (highest ranked med school in my state). I got 3 other interviews before withdrawing my other applications after I got my acceptance. None of the schools ever asked about my c's in orgo.

1 C isn't a problem, but I think you need to analyze your study habits. If you studied "harder than [you] ever have before" and got a C, then you're just doing something wrong. There are tons of resources out there to help you. Everybody needs help sometimes! :)

1 C isn't a problem, but I think you need to analyze your study habits. If you studied "harder than [you] ever have before" and got a C, then you're just doing something wrong. There are tons of resources out there to help you. Everybody needs help sometimes! :)

+1

Something clearly wasn't working that great in terms of how you studied... don't just repeat the same thing for Orgo II. Talk to other people who did well in the class and see what kind of habits/resources they utilized. Talk to the professor and see if they have any suggestions. Remember that orgo is a bit different than other classes... it's not the same as a general chemistry or biology class, so you may need to do things a bit differently. Good luck!