C in Prereq

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KSU2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
So I am sure people have discussed this somewhere but I was wondering if I should retake Chem 1 because I got a C. I have improved my grades since and I asked the dean of admissions at the vet school I will be applying to and they advised me not to retake the class. Obviously there is much more that goes into an application besides grades but this process is very stressful! I just wanted advice from anyone else who may have been admitted to vet school with a C in a prereq. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a C in Orgo I. Lots of people have C's, D's, and even F's and manage to get in. If the rest of your grades (and application) is solid, don't sweat over it.

I got a D in Orgo 1 the first time (retook for a B). I got a C in Ochem 2 and I was accepted this year. I know several vets/vet students who have at least 1 C on their transcripts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a C in Orgo 1 and was accepted first try.

I don't think you need to retake it if you do really well in other prereqs.

I wouldn't worry a ton- I got a C+ in Ochem second semester and a C in my 4 credit physics and lab class. I still got accepted!!

I had a C in O Chem II and was only told by one school that I might want to retake it. But even they said it doesn't necessarily indicate whether or not you'll do well in vet school since students who did well in the class also struggle.

Based on my stats, they said raising my GRE score would have been the best choice and retaking O Chem would have been an option to consider after changing a few other things. This was also for a school who puts a great deal of weight on academics.

Hi there,

I also got a C in a couple of pre-reqs, and considered retaking them later on. Do you know what actually would look better? Take an upper division course (that builds upon the course you got a C in) and get an A. IMO anyone can take a do-over and do better than they originally did. It takes a little more effort to build upon that knowledge and apply it to a more difficult course. I think ad-coms can recognize this (especially if you get a chance to explain that...).

Good luck!

You've gotten some pretty solid advice here, and I encourage not to get bogged down with the details. Yes, it is important to do as best as you can in every one of your prereqs but remember that they aren't the only factors an adcom will take into consideration.

If I were you I'd keep moving forward and do well on the GRE. It seems like you're on your way to some well-rounded vet/animal experience, too.

My transcript contained it's fair share of the dreaded W's and a mega-low first year GPA. These details could have very easily derailed my application but I went into it just as if I had stellar stats. I took my time and explained why I had to take Chem I over five times and stated what I learned from the experience. Every subsequent semester I recalled the frustration and embarrassment of those W's and decided to kick ass instead.

You can do it, I promise!

I had more C's than I care to admit. Never re-took a class. Had fun in undergrad and got lots of vet experience and played with lots of ponies and drank lots of wine and got into vet school. Haven't failed a vet school class yet.

If its a C or 2 or 3 and the rest of your app is good, seriously do not freak out about it.

I think there's an overwhelming consensus that it is OK to get a C. :rolleyes:

Haha! Thank you for the advice everyone! The support on this site is amazing. This is such a journey. I am positive I will get there!

I never retook anything, either. Since I went to Virginia Tech for my undergad, the vet school there told us they take the first grade you get in the class (unless it is a C- or lower) so they don't average or replace them, so I never saw a reason to retake.

I wouldn't worry. I had a very rough semester once and got a D in a class freshman year, retook it got a B. It ended up not being a required class but it was still factored into my science GPA. But I ended up getting mainly As and some Bs for the rest of the many science classes I took and that helped balance it out. I still got accepted to vet school.

many people get bad grades here and there and still get accepted as long as you do better in future classes and improve, especially in the last couple years/semesters before applying.

I have multiple grades below a C in both organic 1 and 2. I was waitlisted last year, and I managed to get into three schools this year!