C/O 2021 HPSP Thread (Army/AF/Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My recruiter told me three things must happen after being "Professionally Recommended." First your security clearance must be updated. Not sure what that means, but it's something he will do. Second the scroll needs to be signed. And the last thing is you must contact the school you will attend and have them fill out the Academic Year Statement and then send that back to your recruiter. After all of this is done you will Receive a final select after a period of time. I am soley repeating what my recruiter said so if someone can correct that or add to it that would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when we will start to receive our stipend (~2.2k)? Will it be a month before school starts, the month school starts, or after school starts? For me, I believe UCLA will start Sept. 25th. I'm mostly curious because I'm planning on renting an apartment and need to know how much I should save for deposit money and first month rent.

Anyone know when we will start to receive our stipend (~2.2k)? Will it be a month before school starts, the month school starts, or after school starts? For me, I believe UCLA will start Sept. 25th. I'm mostly curious because I'm planning on renting an apartment and need to know how much I should save for deposit money and first month rent.
Current HPSP students have told me a week or two after school starts. Same with the signing bonus. Definitely save money for a deposit and your first month of rent. Stipend is around 1.9-2k after tax depending on the area you go to school.

The monthly stipend also comes in two separate payments two weeks apart. So you get around 1k per payment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this site pretty helpful. It explains how stipends work and how they are paid.
http://www.med.navy.mil/Accessions/Pages/Pay.aspx

Determination of the Benefit Start Date (BSD): The benefit start date is the date that benefits begin for participants. The benefit start date is the latter of three dates listed below:
· The date the Acceptance of Office/Oath of Office was signed.
· The date the HPSP Service Agreement was signed.
· The first day of the academic year (not including orientation).

Current HPSP students have told me a week or two after school starts. Same with the signing bonus. Definitely save money for a deposit and your first month of rent. Stipend is around 1.9-2k after tax depending on the area you go to school.

The monthly stipend also comes in two separate payments two weeks apart. So you get around 1k per payment.
Do they take the taxes directly out of the biweekly payment?

Hello! I received the HSPS 4 year Navy scholarship, and I am wondering if anyone from the earlier board has signed the forms yet? How long does it take after you receive the scholarship for them to contact you to sign the paperwork?
I am making plans to go out of the country and would love some kind of timeline.

Hello! I received the HSPS 4 year Navy scholarship, and I am wondering if anyone from the earlier board has signed the forms yet? How long does it take after you receive the scholarship for them to contact you to sign the paperwork?
I am making plans to go out of the country and would love some kind of timeline.
When you say received the scholarship, do you mean Professionaly recommended?

Did anyone apply for the army hpsp hear back from their recruiter. My recruiter said the official scroll has not come back yet

For those who have been 'Professionally Recommend' for the Navy HPSP in the past month or so hear any more news? My recruiter told me that I was professionally recommend and I submitted the AYS about three weeks ago, but I haven't heard anything back since. Anyone have any idea how long I have to wait to hear something back and to move onto the next steps?

Recruiter asked for my AYS before i was accepted. Is this a good sign or is it pretty standard? Also for those that had to give up dual citizenship, did you do it before or after your acceptance for the scholarship? Afraid that i'll give up my citizenship and then not get selected for HPSP.

Any news regarding the army's scrolling timeline? As is is I'm holding two acceptances but would really like to let the fall back school know I'm not attending as soon as possible. I've just been a little hesitant to back out there before it's all totally official with the Army.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just swore in to the Navy today for HPSP!

Reactions: 2 users
I just swore in to the Navy today for HPSP!
Congrats!!!!!! When were you notified of being professionally recommended? And how long did you have to wait to receive a final select?

Congrats!!!!!! When were you notified of being professionally recommended? And how long did you have to wait to receive a final select?
I was notified January 24th and was notified of the final select on March 13th.

Last edited:
Any news regarding the army's scrolling timeline? As is is I'm holding two acceptances but would really like to let the fall back school know I'm not attending as soon as possible. I've just been a little hesitant to back out there before it's all totally official with the Army.

Expect mid/late April

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those who received a final select letter from the Navy, did you have to show proof that you will be receiving/ or have received your bachelors degree? I will not be awarded my Bachelors degree until June 8th. I was wondering if this will hold up the process of receiving a final selection or if it will only hold up my commission date? Do I just get a letter from my school stating that I will receive my bachelors degree and ____ is the exact date I will receive it?

Hey Gang,

I just started the application process for a 3 yr AF HPSP and had a question. I interned at a local office for a US congressman about 4 years ago and only met the guy a couple times but I believe I can get a LOR from him (probably written by staff but in his name). Would getting a shorter, probably generic LOR from him be more advantageous than one from a science professor who knows me a little better (aced three classes with him at a smaller university)?

Thanks!

Hello everyone ! Congratulations to those who have already received their scholarships and to those still waiting, best of luck! Would any of you mind posting your stats ? I'm a junior Bio major & I'm strongly leaning towards hpsp. Thank you !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

-Navy 4- year HPSP
-Biology major
-3.5 gpa
-22AA

Edit

Last edited:
I saw my Navy interviewers' scores. They were on a scale of 1-10 and are entered onto the Navy app that had your personal statement on it. The recruiter should be able to tell you how you did.
Same

I saw my Navy interviewers' scores. They were on a scale of 1-10 and are entered onto the Navy app that had your personal statement on it. The recruiter should be able to tell you how you did.
This proves how terrible my recruiter was lol

-Navy 4- year HPSP
-Biology major
-3.5 gpa
-22AA
Have you received a final select? And if so, how long did it take to go from 'Professionally Recommended' to receiving the final selection?

This proves how terrible my recruiter was lol
The exact scores are mean't to be confidential. All my recruiter could tell me is if I did bad or good and that's after my trying to pry it out of him haha

The exact scores are mean't to be confidential. All my recruiter could tell me is if I did bad or good and that's after my trying to pry it out of him haha

Haha really? I was shocked when mine sent me pdf of my exact scores and comments from the interviewer. None of it was confidential at all. I'm glad he did though!

My recruiter contacted me last friday around 6pm (he works even when he is home, he is the best). And he got my results.
I know you will be hearing soon! Good luck to all of you.!!!

Last edited:
My recruiter just called. I was awarded the 4 year Navy HPSP!

Navy recruiter called me about March board results today- said I do not "officially" have it but I am ranked as the top candidate for the next pro-board meeting in the next few weeks? Anyone know what that means?

Hello Everyone! I've been following this thread very closely, so I don't think this has been answered yet. If it has, please let me know. I just got results back as well. My recruiter called this morning, and told me that I don't officially have the scholarship, but I am ranked as a top candidate. He said that I am in a group of 50 people with this same classification. He said that they select from this list if anyone gives their scholarship up, and they also take the top 20 for some sort of 3.5 year scholarship starting in the second semester of the first year (not my words). He said that notifications for this go out around October. Has anyone had any experience with this? Specifically, what do you think my chances are of receiving the 4 year HPSP at this point? On top of that, he also said that I was accepted to the HSCP program. I'm honestly a bit confused about all of this. From a benefit perspective, what I should accept? Should I hold out for the Navy 4 year HPSP or just apply for the AF 3 year scholarship. If there is any information missing from the explanation of my question that would help you to answer, please let me know.

Stats
DAT: 22 AA
Science GPA: 3.66 (w+/-)

Hello Everyone! I've been following this thread very closely, so I don't think this has been answered yet. If it has, please let me know. I just got results back as well. My recruiter called this morning, and told me that I don't officially have the scholarship, but I am ranked as a top candidate. He said that I am in a group of 50 people with this same classification. He said that they select from this list if anyone gives their scholarship up, and they also take the top 20 for some sort of 3.5 year scholarship starting in the second semester of the first year (not my words). He said that notifications for this go out around October. Has anyone had any experience with this? Specifically, what do you think my chances are of receiving the 4 year HPSP at this point? On top of that, he also said that I was accepted to the HSCP program. I'm honestly a bit confused about all of this. From a benefit perspective, what I should accept? Should I hold out for the Navy 4 year HPSP or just apply for the AF 3 year scholarship. If there is any information missing from the explanation of my question that would help you to answer, please let me know.

Stats

It means you're on waitlist. If you don't get off the waitlist you'll be considered for the 3 year.

If they offered you HSCP and your school isn't too expensive it may be something to consider.

Also confused along with those above...

Got call from my recruiter who said that march boards were very competitive (had 50 applicants for 2 HPSP spots), and that I did not receive HPSP but was offered HSCP. I am planning to attend UoP so that wouldn't work out (taking out over 200k in loans to cover the rest, which wouldn't be able to get paid off on a military dentist salary). However, she said there's a possibility about them holding on to my app until next financial year (October) for HPSP. Does anyone know what's going on? What would my rough chances for HPSP be in October? And would we get funding immediately? Is the process any different because I'm attending a 3-year university? So confused...

Stats:
GPA - 3.85
DAT - 24 AA

Stats

I was in a similar boat as you 3 years ago. Decided to take the hscp since I was planning on attending my state school(total cost with living in the dorm is around 55k/year). So far it has been working out great. My net pay started out at $41-4,200 net a month and has increased to
$4,700 net per month now(pay increase Avery year and also significantly every two years) Also remember that we will be making more than our hpsp counterparts since our 4 year in school counts.

You need to calculate your total pay and pay attention to the BAH rate. Also if you have dependent your pay is higher. I personally know a few people attending Columbia and NYU that are on hscp and they said their monthly payment is pretty high due to the schools Zipcode.

Also confused along with those above...

Got call from my recruiter who said that march boards were very competitive (had 50 applicants for 2 HPSP spots), and that I did not receive HPSP but was offered HSCP. I am planning to attend UoP so that wouldn't work out (taking out over 200k in loans to cover the rest, which wouldn't be able to get paid off on a military dentist salary). However, she said there's a possibility about them holding on to my app until next financial year (October) for HPSP. Does anyone know what's going on? What would my rough chances for HPSP be in October? And would we get funding immediately? Is the process any different because I'm attending a 3-year university? So confused...

Stats:
GPA - 3.85
DAT - 24 AA

According to my recruiter there was 150 applicants for 50 spots. Maybe because you are going to a 3-yearn program instead of 4??
With that GPA and DAT, I am sure you will get it.
Good luck