C/O 2021 HPSP Thread (Army/AF/Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was unofficially selected for the Army 4 year HPSP, pending scroll from Congress. This is a great opportunity, however, I have 12 months left of post 9/11 GI bill that I could use to pay for 1 year of IS tuitions. When I applied for the scholarship, it was not clear whether I can get a 3 year or a 4 year HPSP. As far as I understand now, I either take the 4 year HPSP or wait until October when the board for the 3 year Army scholarship meets and I may not end up being selected. Does anyone know what my options could be? Thank you for any advise.

Members don't see this ad.

I was unofficially selected for the Army 4 year HPSP, pending scroll from Congress. This is a great opportunity, however, I have 12 months left of post 9/11 GI bill that I could use to pay for 1 year of IS tuitions. When I applied for the scholarship, it was not clear whether I can get a 3 year or a 4 year HPSP. As far as I understand now, I either take the 4 year HPSP or wait until October when the board for the 3 year Army scholarship meets and I may not end up being selected. Does anyone know what my options could be? Thank you for any advise.

Indicate in your personal statement that you were selected the previous year for the 4 year. The 3 year is generally less competitive so Id say your odds are good, especially if you indicate you were prior selected. Or you could just take the 4 year and use the 12 months for something else...

But you would definitely have to reapply and the 3 year application is slightly different. Mostly the sources of your LORs would be different; you'd need one from a professor at your dental school I think.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
the "board" is a new set of people for the most part, rotating. They wouldn't know if you applied for the 4 year and weren't selected unless you indicated that somehow. TBH its impossible to predict what next year will look like until the projection meeting occurs and they decide how many dentists they want; I can tell you the Army is growing the force as of 1 FEB 17.
I'm not so sure about that, I think they prioritize it for previous applicants that didn't get 4Year

I'm not so sure about that, I think they prioritize it for previous applicants that didn't get 4Year

3 year less competitive? No it's more competitive. The Army did not roll over 4 year applicants this year automatically but 3 year is competing for fewer spots because the Army would much rather have you for 4 years than three because it is more efficient. for ex. 15 spots in the whole US for Army 3 year HPSP.

3 year less competitive? No it's more competitive. The Army did not roll over 4 year applicants this year automatically but 3 year is competing for fewer spots because the Army would much rather have you for 4 years than three because it is more efficient. for ex. 15 spots in the whole US for Army 3 year HPSP.

I didn't say it was less competitive, totally with you on that standpoint. @EllyC You should take the 4-year award

Thank you guys so much for your responses. My recruiter told me that there are many more 4 year army scholarships than the 3 year ones. If I turned it down, it would be the hardest NO I have ever said...

Anyone receive any other news from the Navy in terms of their 4-year scholarship? I was notified by phone on Jan. 25th and was told that I'd receive more information at a future date.

Anyone receive any other news from the Navy in terms of their 4-year scholarship? I was notified by phone on Jan. 25th and was told that I'd receive more information at a future date.
I was told last week that board was on the 17th so I'd receive word back the week after that. What did they say when they called you? I didn't get a call lol

I was told last week that board was on the 17th so I'd receive word back the week after that. What did they say when they called you? I didn't get a call lol
I was awarded the scholarship on Jan 25th as I was on the January board. My recruiter told me congratulations and that he would send additional information at a future date. It's been almost three weeks so I was just curious what additional information others heard from besides just a congratulatory phone call.

Reactions: 1 user
I was awarded the scholarship on Jan 25th as I was on the January board. My recruiter told me congratulations and that he would send additional information at a future date. It's been almost three weeks so I was just curious what additional information others heard from besides just a congratulatory phone call.
I was selected from the November board. After the selection, they had me and my school fill out the AYS and then I was commissioned like 2 weeks after my AYS submission. Once you are commissioned, you will eventually receive an e-mail from the Accessions Department regarding how this whole HPSP works, including the contact information, reimbursements, military ID's, and many more.

Reactions: 2 users
I was selected from the November board. After the selection, they had me and my school fill out the AYS and then I was commissioned like 2 weeks after my AYS submission. Once you are commissioned, you will eventually receive an e-mail from the Accessions Department regarding how this whole HPSP works, including the contact information, reimbursements, military ID's, and many more.
How soon did they contact you to begin filling out the AYS?

when do people who were selected sign up for the officer camp this summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the chances of getting a 3-year scholarship with the army if you were OML for the 4-year? Does the army take new applicants for the 3-year or do they exclusively draw from the previous year's OML?

Does anyone know the chances of getting a 3-year scholarship with the army if you were OML for the 4-year? Does the army take new applicants for the 3-year or do they exclusively draw from the previous year's OML?

As far as I understand it's a whole new cycle. Being on the OML for the four year scholarship doesn't translate into a better position for the three year scholarship (at least not for the Army or the Air Force). You have to go through the whole process again unfortunately.

I was commissioned like 2 weeks after my AYS submission
I was told I couldn't commission until May and that was early since my school starts in June. Do you need to do anything else after the AYS is submitted?

I was told I couldn't commission until May and that was early since my school starts in June. Do you need to do anything else after the AYS is submitted?
After my official selection, I was requested to renounce my foreign citizenship and get my AYS completed by the dental school... and...... I think that was it, those two. A couple weeks later I was commissioned and also signed like 100 papers on the same day. Initially what I heard was that I am not allowed to commission until like a month before I matriculate, but I guess that wasn't quite true.

After my official selection, I was requested to renounce my foreign citizenship and get my AYS completed by the dental school... and...... I think that was it, those two. A couple weeks later I was commissioned and also signed like 100 papers on the same day. Initially what I heard was that I am not allowed to commission until like a month before I matriculate, but I guess that wasn't quite true.

I also had to do these first two steps... I have yet to commission given that I am still in school-MBS program. From my understanding, for those of us actively
in masters/undergraduate programs, commissioning will not commence until after final grades/degrees have been conferred.

I also had to do these first two steps... I have yet to commission given that I am still in school-MBS program. From my understanding, for those of us actively
in masters/undergraduate programs, commissioning will not commence until after final grades/degrees have been conferred.
Did I get scammed? I am currently in my M.S., finishing up my final semester and I am already commissioned. They have never mentioned anything about my final grades/degree.

EDIT: I did e-mail the department to ask if they need my final grades and stuff. I'll let you know what they say.

Last edited:
Did I get scammed? I am currently in my M.S., finishing up my final semester and I am already commissioned. They have never mentioned anything about my final grades/degree.

EDIT: I did e-mail the department to ask if they need my final grades and stuff. I'll let you know what they say.

What??? Let me know what happens! I would rather comission earlier than later if this is not the case! This is what my recruiter told my by phone today

What??? Let me know what happens! I would rather comission earlier than later if this is not the case! This is what my recruiter told my by phone today
Although it does make sense for the bachelor's degree, having a Master's degree is not required for the HPSP.. so I kinda doubt that you would have to complete your Master's in order to commission.

EDIT: This is what @Fets said in another thread.

"My recruiter was very particular with the fact that I can't commission as an officer until I have a college degree completed. I have to wait to commission until May when my undergrad degree is awarded."

Yea, I believe if you already have your bachelor's degree, I'm pretty sure you can commission now even before you complete your Master's as M.S. isn't a requirement for HPSP

Last edited:
Although it does make sense for the bachelor's degree, having a Master's degree is not required for the HPSP.. so I kinda doubt that you would have to complete your Master's in order to commission.

EDIT: This is what @Fets said in another thread.

"My recruiter was very particular with the fact that I can't commission as an officer until I have a college degree completed. I have to wait to commission until May when my undergrad degree is awarded."

Yea, I believe if you already have your bachelor's degree, I'm pretty sure you can commission now even before you complete your Master's as M.S. isn't a requirement for HPSP
Thanks for the confirmation! I also thought it was somewhat random. I will have to follow-up today

What exactly do you do to renounce your citizenship from another country? Is it a form you sign or something?

Depends on the country. Some ask for your passport, and hand you a form that says you are no longer a citizen. Some just hand you a letter stating you're no longer a citizen. Some ask that you appear at an embassy for an interview. Then there are a few who do not allow you to renounce. You mus provide proof that you made every attempt to renounce (certified letters and such) that the security office can look at and determine your true intention.

What exactly do you do to renounce your citizenship from another country? Is it a form you sign or something?
As far as the Navy goes, it is very simple process. You will just have to mail out a written statement via certified mail to the embassy saying that you are willing to renounce your citizenship, and submit the receipt you receive from the post office to the Navy, and also scan your written statement and submit that as well. Doing this will not really make you officially renounce your citizenship because I'm sure you will have to bring in a lot of documents to officially renounce. I think what the Navy wants is to see where your allegiances lie and by renouncing in the manner that they ask, that is good enough for them I believe. By following their instructions and writing that letter, you are demonstrating that your allegiances lie in the U.S.

As far as the Navy goes, it is very simple process. You will just have to mail out a written statement via certified mail to the embassy saying that you are willing to renounce your citizenship, and submit the receipt you receive from the post office to the Navy, and also scan your written statement and submit that as well. Doing this will not really make you officially renounce your citizenship because I'm sure you will have to bring in a lot of documents to officially renounce. I think what the Navy wants is to see where your allegiances lie and by renouncing in the manner that they ask, that is good enough for them I believe. By following their instructions and writing that letter, you are demonstrating that your allegiances lie in the U.S.
This is what I also had to do, word for word.

Received the Navy 4 year HPSP! Thank god I didn't listen to my Army recruiter that told me I couldn't apply to multiple branches.
Wow. Although biased towards the Navy, I will say that your Army recruiter was either unethical or incompetent. But he is only 1 person and not representative of the entire branch. Similarly, we wouldn't let 1 crooked dentist represent the entire profession.

Big year for you! Congratulations on both your acceptance to dental school and selection for the Navy. Welcome aboard!

Anyone selected for the army have any news yet? My recruiter told me there's nothing I can do at this point until I have been scrolled, does this sound about right? Also, I've already graduated, I know that was a requirement to being commissioned.

Ummm, don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but, "professionally recommended” is not a term that the Army uses. You need to get with your recruiter and find out your exact status. Some of the terms that the Army uses are: Selected, Selected Pending Scroll, Selected Pending OML, OML. After you find out your status using the term the rest of the Army uses, we will be in a better position to offer advice.

So when they send out the professional recommendations, do they send it all out in one day from the board? I was suppose to be in this February Navy 4-year HPSP board, but haven't heard back...

Received the Navy 4 year HPSP! Thank god I didn't listen to my Army recruiter that told me I couldn't apply to multiple branches.

Congrats! Now you got me sweating. I seriously want to join the Navy... I'm worried now... What was your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, do you find out if you're "waitlisted" on the same day someone else finds out they got a professional recommendation/accepted to the 4-year HPSP Navy?

So when they send out the professional recommendations, do they send it all out in one day from the board? I was suppose to be in this February Navy 4-year HPSP board, but haven't heard back...
I don't think the results from the February board has been released

Haven't heard back either. I was supposed to be in the Feb board too

Did you also have to give up your foreign passport? I did and they tore my foreign passport in pieces in front of me :)

Is there any way to submit your kit without an acceptance letter if you don't have a 22+ DAT?

That's awesome? When did you find out? My recruiter told me the results wouldn't be posted until this week coming up. More info please!

Depends on the branch, do you have one in mind?

I have everything completed except an acceptance letter, and I am trying to apply for the Navy. I just wanted to make sure there isn't something that my recruiter might not know.

I have everything completed except an acceptance letter, and I am trying to apply for the Navy. I just wanted to make sure there isn't something that my recruiter might not know.
I'm pretty sure you need an acceptance letter without a 22+ DAT . Your recruiter can work on your kit and have everything ready but I don't believe it can be put up for boards without an official letter in your kit. That's what my recruiter told me but I'd double check!

Last edited:
My recruiter has went awol. It's been a month and haven't heard back. Other recruiters say they can only help me if I'm local. This process is so aggravating

I've contacted recruiters associated with other schools I thought I wanted to attend (UoP) and they had no problem providing me with assistance or help. I'd suggest contacting the military recruiter associated with Columbia

I've contacted recruiters associated with other schools I thought I wanted to attend (UoP) and they had no problem providing me with assistance or help. I'd suggest contacting the military recruiter associated with Columbia

I did, no response. Typical. The recruiter someone used at Columbia when they applied and was accepted said he cannot help me ( in terms of application processing) as I am not local. He has been great to speak with for "support" though

Yea it takes a while to get everything done. My whole application took about 3 months to complete

Too impatient. If you can't handle this wait you may want to reconsider. There's a reason the saying is "hurry up and wait"...
No offense meant but there are such things as less than competent recruiters, I had one (won't say the branch) who knew I was applying to another branch at the same time and he did everything in his power to ignore me. Didn't return my phone calls for weeks, left the office without informing me, etc.

And what do you know, when the time period to submit the kit for the last board runs up he calls me and says that I've run out of time but I can apply to be enlisted if I'm still interested. No thanks.

I'm not bitter about it, just disappointed that my chances of getting the scholarship were limited because one person didn't want to deal with me.

Reactions: 4 users
No offense meant but there are such things as less than competent recruiters, I had one (won't say the branch) who knew I was applying to another branch at the same time and he did everything in his power to ignore me. Didn't return my phone calls for weeks, left the office without informing me, etc.

And what do you know, when the time period to submit the kit for the last board runs up he calls me and says that I've run out of time but I can apply to be enlisted if I'm still interested. No thanks.

I'm not bitter about it, just disappointed that my chances of getting the scholarship were limited because one person didn't want to deal with me.

That's not an issue of competence.