℅ 2023. Thoughts on taking Step 1 after M2 vs after M3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subdermallight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is letting us decide. Essentially this is letting me pick whether I want to take a scored Step 1 in 2021 vs a P/F Step 1 in 2022 (assuming the USMLE instates the policy by April 2022).

I'm honestly a bit torn here. I could rise to the occasion and try and knock Step 1 out of the park with a great scored test, but also there is risk there that I might not get a great score and tank my app.

I tend to be less risk aversive and I do wonder if a P/F Step 1 is something I'd be more comfortable with. Step 2 will then be my scored test but I would have had an additional year to prepare for it, as well clinical experiences to tie it all together.

What other factors should I consider here? I will be applying to residency with other people who have scored Step 1s, I'm only from a mid-tier school. So I suppose it may be disadvantage but I guess it depends on my Step 2 and evaluations etc.

Any thoughts about this appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you did take it, what month would you do it? Figure that out then walk back 6 months and take a practice exam then to see if you're on target. If so, schedule the exam.

That's my thought anyway, but I'm not an expert in such things.

If you did take it, what month would you do it? Figure that out then walk back 6 months and take a practice exam then to see if you're on target. If so, schedule the exam.

That's my thought anyway, but I'm not an expert in such things.

Thanks. I would actually be taking it in 7 months from now. And I and very very not ready I will say

Members don't see this ad :)
what speciality are you interested in? It depends on what you may be aiming for

Depends on your med school imo. If you go to a top med school, p/f is probably good enough to get in a top 20 im program. If you’re in a low tier med school, I would take it scored. Keep in mind you’ll be competing against people who would have taken it scored.

Say you get a pass and you go to a lower tier school, everyone from top 20 schools will be ranked above you. The only way to traditionally to overcome this was to get a high step 1 score. Ontop of that, other lower tier school students that score well will also be ranked higher than you. So I would take it scored if I were you.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want:
Competitive specialty + high ranked program=scored
Competitive specialty + low ranked program=scored
Noncompetitive specialty + high ranked program=scored
Noncompetitive specialty + low ranked program=p/f

Reactions: 1 users
I mean this isn't really set in stone yet, who knows if anyone from c/o 2023 will p/f step 1. If you plan on taking it later, don't count on just passing until it's clear.
Edit: whoops youre assuming they do instate that as policy. Nevermind then.
What commander clown said above is true, unless you're at a top program. You will not need it scored, if you have the choice anyway. Most top programs take it after clerkships.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
IMO

The best thing I did was take step after family medicine and OBGYN. Currently in internal and took a day off to take step. I studied like crazy, but kept up w/ and learning from everything else.

It was amazing how much you can do on step, w/ clinical experience. The OBGYN ?s were simple as could be, even experimental what-to-do-next were easy, b/c I was in the hospital already.

But you do you. It was hard studying for both.