C- ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lastbastion

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Must you retake classes you got a C- in? I thought as long as you didn't go into the D range you weren't required to retake. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

well, it may be wise to retake the class, especially if it is a requirement for med-school entrance.

If you decide not to retake it (which I don't think is too big a deal)then be ready to explain why you got that grade to ADCOM's and interviewers :horns:

hi
i think it depends on some specific schools. i got a C- my gen Chem I....and have been able to use that as a premed requirement when applying this year. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a C- in one of my biology classes which i retook and got an A in. I think it would be better if you did the course again. Expecially if its a science course.

As another post said, quite a few schools require that you earn a grade of C or higher in prerequisite classes. I know most of the University of Texas schools do this.

It's up to you to do the background checks with schools you think you might apply to and see what the case is. I wouldn't let it hold you back from applying at all, but keep in mind that some schools might not accept a C-. School websites usually have this kind of information.

thanks, i appreciate the input. ya'll are better than my crappy pre-med advisor.

I don't think you have to retake the class, just as long as you can do better in upperlevel courses (i.e., make A's!) That way, you can just explain to any adcoms who may question your performance as being some sort of fluke that you were able to make up for in more advanced courses.

I had a C in bio and calculus. i didn't retake, but instead took higher level classes and got A's.

just do better on some other upper level classes. that would look much better to me than just doing well in a class the second time around. I don't think they'd expect you to re-take a class just because you got a C- in it.

That would be sort of crap for people on +/- grading systems if med schools wouldn't take a C-...having to have a "C" and all. Are we sure that that's the case? I would think that med schools would consider a C- acceptable...no?

What class was your C- in? Make your own decision on whether or not to retake, it isn't always necessary contrary to popular belief. :)

I got a C- in Calc 1. Its my only bad grade thus far.

I got a C- in calc 3 and got into med school...im not sure if it is going to make a huge difference as long as you dont do it again...

I got a C- in physics. Because I HATE physics. I truly do. My friends convinced me that it was better to play Counterstrike than go to class.. not that it took much convincing.

If I'm ever asked on that C-, this is what I'll tell them: "See that class called Action Potentials and Membranes? yeeah.. and what do you THINK that class was all about? So eat my shorts."

I got a C- in Calc 1. Its my only bad grade thus far.

Yeah, i definately would move on and not retake. Calc sucks! :)

One bad grade isn't going to make or break you. 2 or 3 bad grades aren't either if you make up for them someplace else (retake, upper division courses, mcat), you have a decent excuse for the bad grade ("it was my first semester/year of college") or if overall you end up with a competitive GPA and a nice looking upward trend. A 3.5 is a 3.5 regardless of whether or not it has a couple C's thrown in.

Just for the record, most medical schools do not take +/- grades into account. Of the 8 schools in Texas, only 1 counts them. This is because most schools do not grade on a +/- basis, so by averaging or using these extra scores some students may unfairly be ranked higher than others. Ex.- If I scored an 80 in a school without +/- I would receive a B. While another student may get an 83 and receive a B-. Do not worry about your C- because almost all schools consider it a C.

Columbia's premed tutorial says retake anything "D" or lower. Seems like they mean it because while I didn't retake the class I got a C- in, I retook the D and got an interview.

eh, I got a C- in Biochemistry and never retook it. I still got into med school.

well how about this, C in chem 1, C- in chem 2, C in physics 1 (it was actually an 84% but my stupid prof had a messed up grading system). now how pathetic are those grades? I wonder if it would be stupid to go ahead and apply with them.

i guess i'm pretty hopeless, huh?

Not hopeless at all!!! I had 2 C+'s in gen chem and a D in calc II!! granted i haven't applied yet but when I do i should have a competitive gpa and a good upward trend...hope is never lost!! :)

ive gotten plenty of Cs and am getting interviews and acceptances so dont fret.

just make sure the other parts of your app are strong and that your grades show an overall upward climb.