MD [deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted971841

[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
UMass, UNC accept few non residents with no connection to the state. Otherwise your list is good and you should receive several interviews.

UMass, UNC accept few non residents with no connection to the state. Otherwise your list is good and you should receive several interviews.
I've heard about UNC being tough for OOS students, but my husband is a big fan of the area and insists that I throw my hat in the ring. In my opinion, the $100 it will cost to apply there is worth keeping him happy. I have almost no expectation of hearing back from them. Thank you so much for your reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my MCAT score back yesterday, so it's time to start getting serious I guess!
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.62
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 514 (127/130/128/129)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): New York
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White Female
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: State School, nothing fancy
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1500 hours (and counting) as a patient care associate in the pediatric ICU. Regularly perform suicide and eating disorder protocol 1:1 sits across both pediatric and adult units. Primarily responsible for maintaining unit stock of supplies and activities of daily living, such as changing diapers, feeding babies, and ambulating patients post-operation.
  7. Research experience and productivity: 500 hours in a molecular biology lab, running PCR and western blots for PhD students’ experiments. I do some minor work manipulating plasmids to produce different isoforms of transcriptional regulation proteins, mostly to set up future experiments for the PI and future PhD students because I'm running out of time to accomplish anything significant with them. Also responsible for maintaining lab supply stock, ordering necessary equipment and some general housekeeping.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 10 hours with an endocrinologist, 15 hours with a pediatric oncologist, soon to be shadowing one of my ICU attendings while she is doing clinic and off-site duties this semester.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours (and counting) with the Crisis Text Line, 100 hours with a local program that offers homework assistance and healthy dinners to inner city elementary children and their families during the school week. On Fridays, when the children didn’t have homework, I taught them how to bake healthy desserts and led arts and crafts activities. 50 hours with my club, sporadically going to the food bank to sort donations or to the city mission to cook meals.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Was on the board of a pre-health organization for one academic year, junior board for a year prior to that. As a fundraising and social media chair I organized multiple events throughout the year, including bake sales and clothing collections to benefit local organizations, as well as promoting monthly informational meetings and our twice-annual Dinner with Doctors programs. Currently a paid tutor for the biology department, tutoring students taking General Biology I/II, 60 hours anticipated.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Phi Beta Kappa member, Psi Chi member, Tau Sigma member, Phi Theta Kappa member
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: My first degree is in culinary arts, primarily Baking and Pastry Arts and Hotel/Restaurant Management. I later transferred to my state school to major in biology and minor in psychology. Throughout my culinary school career, as well as my first year at my state school, I worked part-time as a waitress at a family-owned restaurant that is now closed. Because the restaurant was very small and had limited staff, I often held manager duties and was responsible for handling customer complaints, opening and closing procedures, and balancing the cash registers at the end of the night. So roughly 1000 hours as a bartender and server, as well.

School List:
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Buffalo
Columbia (reaching pretty hard)
Cornell (again, with the reaching)
Dartmouth (slightly less of a reach, I think)
Drexel
Florida International
George Washington
Georgetown
Hofstra
Kaiser Permamente (because why not?)
New York Medical
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Sidney Kimmel
Sinai (reaching)
Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Temple
Tufts
UMASS
UNC Chapel Hill
University Central Florida
University of Maryland
University of Miami
University of Southern Florida
University of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Warren Alpert (slight reach)

Excellent list. Why not Harvard?

I suggest the following:

Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe )
U VM
U IA
U Toledo
USF Morsani
OH State
UCF
U Cincy
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
All SUNYs

And as an FYI "because why not?" is a lousy reason to to submit an app. This isn't like going out for your school's baseball team.

It will be a donation, and Kaiser doesn't need the money. Take your SO out for dinner instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.