c3.9, s4.0, 330, chances for MD/Phd or just MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mozzinator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time reader, first time post-er. Just got the 'ol MCAT scores in and wanted the forum's opinion.

I am an Electrical Engineering and Biology Major at Valparaiso University(small lutheran school in northwest indiana.)

I am very interested in clinical research, and potentially doing an MD/Phd program, but also am drawn to being a research oreinted MD. MD/Phd programs I would be looking at specifically biomedical engineering but am not sure if I have enough research background.

MCAT: P:14 V:8 B:11 W:O

Cumulative GPA: 3.914
Science: 4.0

EC(non-clinical):
- Vice President of my fraternity(multiple other positions in previous years)
- Honor Council Member
- IEEE
- Tau Beta Pi recording secretary(engineering honors society)
- Eagle Scout
- 1 year of research at the university(may turn into a summer job) research is on effects of protein kinase c beta II on tumorogenesis of cancer cells.(could be published next year.)
- TA in the math department for a year

EC(clinical)
- 40 shadowing hours(10 ER, 30 Ortho Surgeon) can potentially get more this summer
- signed up to do clinical volunteering in ER this summer/next school year(i know its a little late)

lots of volunteering hours outside of hospital through the fraternity(soup kitchens, philanthropies etc.)

possible school list:
University of MD
Georgetown
Case Western
Loyola
OHSU
Indiana U
University of Rochester
Washington U
Rush
......need to look at more
Just wanted an idea of how competitive i am and what I can improve on. I know I need more clinical experience, just not sure how much, and if anyone had more insight into what MD/Phd programs want(will probably be calling around to schools now that scores are back. Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

The main thing that sticks out to me is the apparent lack of any clinical experience. The shadowing is good, but without any direct patient contact, most medical schools will be wary. Stats wise, you should be good to go. I would focus on getting a lot of direct patient contact in the coming year. In terms of MD vs. MD/PhD, it depends on your specific research experience. If you were very involved in research, know if it's something you're interested in, and can show your passion in an interview, you shouldn't have any problem getting a MD/PhD position over an MD spot, especially if you get published. I would mainly focus on the clinical aspect as you have to be accepted to an MD program in order to be considered for MD/PhD.

you'd have a hard time convincing md/phd adcoms of the dual degree wanting to do only clinical research. you don't need a phd for that. also, one year in a non-related field is a little weak. bme.is a broad field and technically quite different from molec bio/biochem work. my 2 cents.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk