C4 course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jb54ram

DDS 2008, US ARMY
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when and where the combat casualty care course is offered? I am interested in taking it.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually it is out at Camp Bullis in NW San Antonio. Free snakes, scorpions and fire ants to the first 500 visitors--and with the "communal living accomadations" you can't beat it!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
My bad. You are correct. Camp Bullis is considered an annex of Ft. Sam and some of the courses (ATLS, NTLS) now take place over on Ft. Sam, but the main portion is on Camp Bullis

not sure if it runs year-round or not, but i went at the end of march. there were a bunch of AF and Navy aegd residents there at the same time i went. i think the army aegd residents all go in the march-april time-frame.

I took it as part of my Air Guard training.

It was great fun! I suggest doing it in Oct. or March if you have a choice, as the weather is not so damn hot then.

I have to tell a story......
So after we finish this training, my squad of 3 MD's an ER RN, an ICU RN, an orthopedic intern, and me the dentist, go downtown San Antonio for a farewell Mexican dinner to cap the C4 experience. As we are walking along we witness a hit and run auto accident with one guy injured. So we all jump in and start dealing with the "wounded" guy. So as the dentist my job is crowd control. This guy comes up and says "I'm a EMT! Can I help?" As we look in on the team working on this guy I say to him, "Well considering, that guy is a doctor, that guy is a doctor, that guy is a doctor and that girl is and ER nurse and that girl is an ICU nurse. Do you think you can help?" At this point my volunteer decided maybe he couldn't help, looked down cast and walked away.

i would agree that you should try to take it as the seasons change, rather than the height of fall or spring. the Army doenst even offer the course for 3 months out of the year because it get so hot down in Texas.

it is good times, though. nothing like living in a 12-man (and woman) hutment to make one greatful for the comforts of my two-man stateroom on my carrier! i really did have a pretty good time getting to know some other guys from around the armed services. marching around in the field with a ruck sack and a gas mask was made all the better by some of the great moulage done for the different mass casualty exercises.

getting to go into downtown San Antonio and enjoying the riverwalk after a good long week of being in the great outdoors is a sweet end. plus you get taught by some solid Navy Corpsman (along with some AF and Army medics), so you cnat go wrong there.

i would agree that you should try to take it as the seasons change, rather than the height of fall or spring. the Army doenst even offer the course for 3 months out of the year because it get so hot down in Texas.

it is good times, though. nothing like living in a 12-man (and woman) hutment to make one greatful for the comforts of my two-man stateroom on my carrier! i really did have a pretty good time getting to know some other guys from around the armed services. marching around in the field with a ruck sack and a gas mask was made all the better by some of the great moulage done for the different mass casualty exercises.

getting to go into downtown San Antonio and enjoying the riverwalk after a good long week of being in the great outdoors is a sweet end. plus you get taught by some solid Navy Corpsman (along with some AF and Army medics), so you cnat go wrong there.

Are all Navy dentists required to go or is it just part of AEGD? I'm looking forward to it and don't want to miss the opportunity.

Are all Navy dentists required to go or is it just part of AEGD? I'm looking forward to it and don't want to miss the opportunity.

i dont know if everyone who isnt in a residency goes or not. all the Navy dentists who were there with me were either GPRs or AEGDers. i would think everyone gets to go though. i actually have used most of that field medicine knowlege onboard my carrier in general quarter drills and at my battle dressing station. you never know when you might need to properly care for a sucking chest wound...

Non-sarcastically, can someone please tell me how dentists are allowed to take this course, and what they have you do? I have significant personal interest in something like this.

As military training goes, it's actually pretty fun. It's usually put on by combined armed forces. If you are in the AGD, you may be required to go as part of the course work. Otherwise it is up to your individual unit to write the orders and fund your trip. For Army dental on the HRC website this used to be under courses, next to airborne etc. (not sure why a dentist needs to go airborne, but hey jumping out of a perfectly good airplane on someone elses dime is not always a bad idea).

Do they still put chest tubes in Goats, or is that not PC anymore?

A good experience, if you have the opportunity you should definately do it.

As military training goes, it's actually pretty fun. It's usually put on by combined armed forces. If you are in the AGD, you may be required to go as part of the course work. Otherwise it is up to your individual unit to write the orders and fund your trip. For Army dental on the HRC website this used to be under courses, next to airborne etc. (not sure why a dentist needs to go airborne, but hey jumping out of a perfectly good airplane on someone elses dime is not always a bad idea).

Do they still put chest tubes in Goats, or is that not PC anymore?

A good experience, if you have the opportunity you should definately do it.

I wish we had the opportunity to get our jump wings in the Navy.

no more goats down at old Camp Bullis. it probably made PETA mad or something.

jim, you can get your surface warfare pin along with a host of cool PQSs allowing you to ride in helos and the backseat of hornets and prowlers, so all is not lost...

no more goats down at old Camp Bullis. it probably made PETA mad or something.

jim, you can get your surface warfare pin along with a host of cool PQSs allowing you to ride in helos and the backseat of hornets and prowlers, so all is not lost...

PQS's??

sorry. floating around a ship is getting to me...

personnel qualification standards. essentially, check-off lists that allow you to perform certain tasks. we have them for EVERYTHING. seriously, everything.

Well, I am not a SD, but I am a BSN, finishing up my ARNP and just finished this course last week. Since this seems to be one of the main sites that keeps popping up in google searches for C4 I thought I would share my experiences there by putting my blog up in herrrre lol BTW - who ever said don't go in the summer or winter they are not kidding- it gets brutal. The main portion of the course is at Camp Bullis and that is where you will "stay." Docs you will be bused out to Ft. Sam for 3 days for ATLS and at one point the entire Company will go out to Ft. Sam for a grueling 4 hour power point about burns.

no more goats down at old Camp Bullis.- If you want to play with goats sts ;) you should take the Emergency War Surgery Course- it is offered to all health care providers, even though it looks like it would only be for surgeons. Plus no hutments- you get to stay in a hotel and it is only 4 days long.

Non-sarcastically, can someone please tell me how dentists are allowed to take this course, and what they have you do? It is my understanding that all ARMY dentists HAVE to take this. Most likely this is because if and when they deploy the may be the only person with medical knowledge around. One of the LTC's (nurse) who has deployed serveral times said that the dentists either did one of two things while out there- LEARN during down time so that they could be of assistance during a mass cal or a trauma situation OR went into their office and locked the door. Your choice really.

Here is the blog- for all those thinking of attending I highly reccomend it..
http://combatcasualtycarecourse.blogspot.com/

Dentists go because they play a valuable part in triage. They take PHTLS(Pre-hospital trauma life support). They do have a role in mass casualties. The nurses take another trauma course. The physicians and Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons/residents take ATLS.