CA-1 year coming up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beck928

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there as excited as I am for CA-1 year? Prelim medicine is soon to be a distant memory (hopefully) and I will never swear at my pager again at 3am when I see the ER's number on the screen indicating that I have a new admission!

Also, do the Anesthesia residents out there recommend reading up for the in-service exam? Any thoughts/advice/etc on how to transition in July?

Members don't see this ad.

I am also eagerly looking forward to the day where I don't have to worry about the ER number showing up on the pager for another train-wreck admission at 3am. It will be great to finish Prelim-Medicine!!!

I can't wait to get into the OR's and away from H & P's, H & P's.......

Here we come Anesthesiology!!!

Its so friken tough to readd though...im tryin but its tough. guess ill just have hit it in July.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who's taking step III before CA1 year? I don't have to, but I'm worried that I'll be doing lots of anesthesia reading next year and forget all the other stuff. I'm trying to talk myself into signing up for it so I'll be forced to study and get it over with.

I would reccommend doing it. I just took it about 3 weeks ago and am EXTREMELY glad its behind me. If you have a light month in June just do it so you can forget about it.

I am so excited about CA-1!!! I have enjoyed intern year though, been hard work but worked with a lot of great people and learned a ton (not that I would want to be an intern ever again:p ). I hope i'll be able to take step 3 before CA-1, but I'm ending with some hard months, and with a MICU month last, it'll be hard to even find 2 days in a row to schedule the exam for. I suppose i'll just take it during vacation time CA-1 (I requested some vac time for early on). I doubt I'll forget so easily. . .;)

Now youll be swearing at your pager when those Level 1's get posted at 3 AM

;)

Anyone out there as excited as I am for CA-1 year? Prelim medicine is soon to be a distant memory (hopefully) and I will never swear at my pager again at 3am when I see the ER's number on the screen indicating that I have a new admission!

Also, do the Anesthesia residents out there recommend reading up for the in-service exam? Any thoughts/advice/etc on how to transition in July?

Congrats.

Get through the basic science stuff in baby miller. the new edition is way slicker than the last ed. Its like the first 10 chapters. Do that and you should be fine.

If you have that NMS handbook cruise through that thing to crank yer score up a bit more. I havent read it but i've flipped through it.

Take Step III!

Get i done and over with! Its really not that bad, did USMLEWORLD and First Aid/Crash.Was way overkill but being neurotic....the sooner its done the better.

INTERNSHIP.
The pain will end, walking out of the hospital your last day...priceless. I missed my patients form clinic but there is always pain to satisfy that aspect. No more3am pages about the patient having a BP of 145/85 (Dear Nurse George, he has had that for the past 10 years!!!!).

CA-1
Exited to start. Finally what you want to do. And postcall off to Bed at 8AM , not upto 5pm (like Medicine)

Congrats.

Get through the basic science stuff in baby miller. the new edition is way slicker than the last ed. Its like the first 10 chapters. Do that and you should be fine.

If you have that NMS handbook cruise through that thing to crank yer score up a bit more. I havent read it but i've flipped through it.

Vent, do you have the title of that one (NMS) . Couldnt find it on Amazon. Thanks.

I am scheduled to take Step III on the last week of medicine when I'm on elective. I figure, especially for those of us doing a medicine year, that the info will be never more solid than now.

Thanks for the advice Vent, I will try to check out the baby Miller. I have M and M at home, so I might start reading that more too.

I agree with Ol Skool Prince... I mean Vent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm excited but a little scared. Am reading a bit...will try to get through the first 10-12 chapters of M+M....I have a clinic month coming up, so hopefully I will have time to read.

Also I STRONGLY encourage people to get step III out of the way....it is a pain to do, and you just have to pass. Why spend a month of anesthesia stressing out about it?

I can't wait to start residency next to a beach!

3280...our ER extension. I can't tell you the grimmace that comes over my face when I see this pop onto my pager. I just love it when I call back and they say...oh by the way...we have another one on the way too.

I just wanna do my thing in the OR.

just to clarify a few misconceptions here...

the downside:

you will get paged at 3 am. you will get paged to and have to go to the ER to do anesthesia H&P's for emergent cases. you will sit in the OR from 2 am to 5 am doing some crap ortho case using toothpicks to prop your eyelids open. you will get stupid calls from nurses on various floors at all hours of the night asking you to come evaluate a patient's perfectly well-functioning epidural. you will have to go to the OB ward and put an epidural in a patient at 4 am, then go try to lay your head down for a few minutes only to get paged back for a stat c-section on that same patient for "non-reassuring fetal heart rhythm"... and you will get blamed for causing that. you will get blamed for causing a host of bad things that happen to the patient from RTA (because the BP dipped to 80/50 for less than 5 minutes during a 3-hour case) to post-op ileus to you-name-it. you will still be expected to act like a doctor, see patients in follow-up, treat patients in the SICU (or elsewhere when, for example, called to codes, airway emergencies, etc.). you will still have to remember medicine, surgery, and OB that you learned in school, and this will be what separates you from being other than just a techician. you will have to learn to speak-up and make decisions in the OR, sometimes that cause disagreements with the surgeon. you will have stressful cases that will test the limits of your ability, and you will go home exhausted after a 10-hour day more than you can possibly imagine now. you will learn to appreciate the "down time" in between seeing patients on the wards that will not be afforded to you as you bust your hump trying to get cases done everyday, especially if you are in a busy program. you will be seen by many as nothing more than a tube-jockey by most other departments in the hospital, and they will look at any of your suggestions or ideas about the patient's care with a sideways glance and/or probably ignore them.

the upside:

you don't have to pre-round, round, post-round, run around... you don't have to do exhaustive H&P's or write admission orders. you don't have to sit through 35 minutes of bedside teaching about 937 differential diagnoses that the patient could have (but clearly doesn't). you will be able to have meds at your disposal, draw them up, and administer them without having to justify your decision or thought process to some nurse who "has never done it that way before" and wants to question everything you do.

and that's just scratching the surface, kids.

m&m is a rocken book for sure. At this point, with about 5 weeks to go till fun time, I'd skip it if you haven't hit it already IF you have baby miller. Why? Because you'll feel overwhelmed. Well at least I did. You'll start flipping through the whole thing and be like "how the %&^( am I supposed to know all this?"

Baby miller is the way to go yall. And you DON'T need to read the whole thing before your ITE as a CA-0. Just the basic science stuff.

Started on baby miller last week - feel extremely unprepared and nervous....but at least this prelim year is almost done and I have long since taken step 3. It is great to move on to a whole new set of things to worry about - I am so over getting in early enough to preround at 6am! 34 more days....not that I am counting.

BID sent us baby Miller back in February, suggesting that we read chapters 1-24 before starting in July, since the initial introductary lectures are going to be covering this material.
I had wonderful intentions of starting early, but internship has been really hectic and this hasn't happened. I'm on elective/vacation next month and will try and read what I can.

I'm so happy internship is over. Soon, admitting 84 year old demented pt's with UTI's at 4am will become a distant memory.

just to clarify a few misconceptions here...

the downside:

you will get paged at 3 am. you will get paged to and have to go to the ER to do anesthesia H&P's for emergent cases. you will sit in the OR from 2 am to 5 am doing some crap ortho case using toothpicks to prop your eyelids open. you will get stupid calls from nurses on various floors at all hours of the night asking you to come evaluate a patient's perfectly well-functioning epidural. you will have to go to the OB ward and put an epidural in a patient at 4 am, then go try to lay your head down for a few minutes only to get paged back for a stat c-section on that same patient for "non-reassuring fetal heart rhythm"... and you will get blamed for causing that. you will get blamed for causing a host of bad things that happen to the patient from RTA (because the BP dipped to 80/50 for less than 5 minutes during a 3-hour case) to post-op ileus to you-name-it. you will still be expected to act like a doctor, see patients in follow-up, treat patients in the SICU (or elsewhere when, for example, called to codes, airway emergencies, etc.). you will still have to remember medicine, surgery, and OB that you learned in school, and this will be what separates you from being other than just a techician. you will have to learn to speak-up and make decisions in the OR, sometimes that cause disagreements with the surgeon. you will have stressful cases that will test the limits of your ability, and you will go home exhausted after a 10-hour day more than you can possibly imagine now. you will learn to appreciate the "down time" in between seeing patients on the wards that will not be afforded to you as you bust your hump trying to get cases done everyday, especially if you are in a busy program. you will be seen by many as nothing more than a tube-jockey by most other departments in the hospital, and they will look at any of your suggestions or ideas about the patient's care with a sideways glance and/or probably ignore them.

Well, even if all these above statements are about to burst my bubble, there's a thought or two that keeps me motivated today:
1. All the Anesthesia residents I see at my institution (the ones that did prelim medicine like me) keep telling me that life is about to get significantly better. And the reason I think that .....
2. ....is because I have chosen Anesthesiology as a career and not internal medicine, and everyday when I wake up I won't have to dread what I do day in and day out, and that makes all the crappy stuff bearable!

you will get paged at 3 am.

Yeah, but the worst day of call I've ever had as an anesthesia resident was still better than the best day of call I ever pulled on medicine wards.

Life as an intern
Paged all day and all night to go down to Dante's ER to admit CHF and COPD exacerbations. Freakishly painful encounters only outdone by the ghastly spectre of the endless rounding and social work this admission will generate over the next days ... or weeks.

Usual outcome: a mere "tuneup" of the patient's disease.

Life as an anesthesia resident
Paged to do an "emergent" lap chole at 3 AM. Sleep would be better, but at least this is an opportunity to stick needles, tubes, and drugs into someone.

Usual outcome: the patient is better.

i'm so excited for CA-1. Ditto on all the non-sense calls at 2AM- "can the patient have a sleeping pill?" and "continuity-of-care" when you see CHF patients admitted for the third time in as many months because they just couldn't quit wolfing down salt drenched good ol' Texas BBQ. :thumbdown:

i definitely recommend taking step 3 as soon as possible. it's a total relief to get it out of the way and pass. Now onto to anesthesia...

3 weeks to go- I'm taking the last week off to move to north carolina!! yeah for UNC!! :D

PS- good to see posts from fellow interviewers, hope everyone's doing ok, and good luck

Yeah, but the worst day of call I've ever had as an anesthesia resident was still better than the best day of call I ever pulled on medicine wards.

Life as an intern
Paged all day and all night to go down to Dante's ER to admit CHF and COPD exacerbations. Freakishly painful encounters only outdone by the ghastly spectre of the endless rounding and social work this admission will generate over the next days ... or weeks.

Paged to do an "emergent" lap chole at 3 AM. Sleep would be better, but at least this is an opportunity to stick needles, tubes, and drugs into someone.

Well put, I couldn't agree more!

Life as an intern

My personal favorite from my medicine months... happened at least 20 times just like this:

the 3 am page to a phone number where a clerk answers and puts you on hold for 5 minutes.... then finally hearing the bed manager (oops sorry official title is 'patient resource manager') telling me that Ms. Confused in room 4123 needs an official diagnosis other than "Placement" in order to be admitted to my service.... As if i had not already DONE the admission by going through all 40 of her medications and a 4 page hand-written H&P form.

"PLACEMENT" is my least favorite word on the planet. Even including all the dirty words that girls usually hate.

i'm so excited for CA-1. Ditto on all the non-sense calls at 2AM- "can the patient have a sleeping pill?" and "continuity-of-care" when you see CHF patients admitted for the third time in as many months because they just couldn't quit wolfing down salt drenched good ol' Texas BBQ. :thumbdown:

i definitely recommend taking step 3 as soon as possible. it's a total relief to get it out of the way and pass. Now onto to anesthesia...

3 weeks to go- I'm taking the last week off to move to north carolina!! yeah for UNC!! :D

PS- good to see posts from fellow interviewers, hope everyone's doing ok, and good luck

Lucky you! I only have 2 days to move to NYC. . .and I dont even have a place yet. :wow:

Heck yeah beck!!! We do anes for our last mo of medicine, and I'll tell ya, the last 10 days have been great, to say the least. No more finishing all your work by 0800, and standing around for am report, rounds, conference, pm rounds, social work, politics, etc... From the second I walk in, until I leave I'm humpin' up in those OR's. I do as many procedures in one day as I did in my entire year of medicine, and actually feel overwhelmed with how much I don't know. It's kinda funny to see how any mediocre 3rd yr student can pull of doing the work of an internist, but if you take any IM attending and put them in the OR they'd be stooling on their stool.
I got to run my first case from start to finish the other day (with the chief of anes, no less) and I can honestly say this was the first time in my brief career in med that I was scared $hitless. In IM you have hours/weeks/days to figure things out and put together an action plan, as opposed to 3 seconds in the OR.
btw, I had my first holy $#!% moment on that case. Chief walks out, and pt drops sats to 80. I pull it together, think about what to do first, adjust the pulse ox sensor on dudes finger, and recheck the sats which are now 99-100. Clean shorts, chart vitals, draw up the next case, thank god for giving me a cruise control 1st case, and tell the nurses in my coolest cool voice "it's nothin', the POX just slipped a bit":banana:

gl next month

m&m is a rocken book for sure. At this point, with about 5 weeks to go till fun time, I'd skip it if you haven't hit it already IF you have baby miller. Why? Because you'll feel overwhelmed. Well at least I did. You'll start flipping through the whole thing and be like "how the %&^( am I supposed to know all this?"

Baby miller is the way to go yall. And you DON'T need to read the whole thing before your ITE as a CA-0. Just the basic science stuff.

We read the first 15 in M&M this mo. I've been doing that and miller, and have noticed that M&M does a better job of giving logical explanations, as opposed to the miller "here's the fact, now eat it" approach. The pictures/figures/tables in M&M are a little better than the Miller stuff. As you mentioned, though, they're both pretty good rags.

On another note... get that S3 done with. You don't need that hangin o'er yer head.

Well, even if all these above statements are about to burst my bubble, there's a thought or two that keeps me motivated today:
1. All the Anesthesia residents I see at my institution (the ones that did prelim medicine like me) keep telling me that life is about to get significantly better. And the reason I think that .....
2. ....is because I have chosen Anesthesiology as a career and not internal medicine, and everyday when I wake up I won't have to dread what I do day in and day out, and that makes all the crappy stuff bearable!

I am very happy to hear that this is true at the institution you are at!!!!

The scariest thing is that on the bad days I cant say that it doesnt really matter cause ill only be doing this for a year anyway.

Oh year, got a chance to get a little airway time at my institution....damn do I suck!! Hopefully I'll have more luck at your institution.

No worries RW! It'll be be all good. PM me when you get to town!