CA-1s-to-be: What are you doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean wilson

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just past the midway point of my intern year, I find myself wondering what others are doing to prepare for next year. I have to take the Step III before getting into my residency, if not for their requirements than my own expectation of finishing this crap off.

Who is reading anesthesiology texts, and what have you chosen? Do most incoming CA-1s have a book or two under their belts before they hit the ORs?

Best of luck, guys.

-SW

Members don't see this ad.

I remember what I was doing midway into my surgery internship - working well over 100 hours per week, call Q2 or Q3, staying until 7-9pm postcall. I couldn't even imagine taking Step III that year! I highly recommend taking Step III prior to CA-1 year, mostly because you may find it difficult to study for that exam while studying for anesthesia. In retrospect, I might have read a small text about anesthesia equipment, or one of the basic anesthesia texts such as "Baby Miller" or Morgan/Mikhail's. Regardless of what you do during intern year, though, CA-1 learning curve will be steep, and you will learn what you need to rapidly

DenRock said:
I remember what I was doing midway into my surgery internship - working well over 100 hours per week, call Q2 or Q3, staying until 7-9pm postcall. I couldn't even imagine taking Step III that year! I highly recommend taking Step III prior to CA-1 year, mostly because you may find it difficult to study for that exam while studying for anesthesia. In retrospect, I might have read a small text about anesthesia equipment, or one of the basic anesthesia texts such as "Baby Miller" or Morgan/Mikhail's. Regardless of what you do during intern year, though, CA-1 learning curve will be steep, and you will learn what you need to rapidly

Doing light reading from Morgan and baby miller with "sprinkles" of the ICU book/Lange Critical care for expansion on some subjects. My goal is to hopefully crank through a review book (Faust or some question source) before the inservice so I don't become a subject of total mockery. I read Faust on zee twahlet as the time it takes to get through a chapter roughly equals the time to...well you see the point.

Step III for me is june 14th & 15th. DO's boards are 2 days and 16 hours. Its painful. I could care less about that test at this point however. My goal is to get through Crush III, Parts of my old and tattered boards and wards, and that thin NMS question book. I figure if I study 2 hours a day over the course of my ensuing family med rotation I'll pass that damn test. This month is knocking the wind out of me though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking step III on Feb 17th/18th and can't wait to finish intern year. My anesthesia knowledge is negligible, but I will do a little reading over last 2 months.

Taking Step III mid-March, after which my goal is to get through baby Miller before July 1st (still have a bunch of call months left). Anything else is just bonus.

Pretty much same here..All about step III right now, taking it at the end of March, never to think about it again. I met with my program director last month and I asked him if there was anything I should study before we start. He said concentrate on Step III and get it out of the way. Then he said not to really worry about prereading because the first month we are going to go through Baby Miller hardcore in addition to OR orientation. So after step III im goin on a Vacation!!

It could be a lot worse you guys. You could be studying for your internal medicine boards for the first 6 weeks of your anesthesiology residency and only get off 2 days to sit for it in August!!!!