1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

CA residency requirements...

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by paco, Apr 19, 2004.

1. paco

paco Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi all. I went to college in California, but am originally from Texas. I hope to attend med school at a UC next year. Does anyone have any experience fulfilling the criteria for CA residency after moving there?

CA residency would be helpful for both tuition and admission. From what I gather, criteria for residency are a little different for each school, but they always give me a long list of items such as having had established a bank account for a year before matriculation, having had your car registered for a year, having paid state taxes, etc.

I'm a little fuzzy on everything, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it all. FYI, I'm still a student in CA but intend to start working this summer. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Wednesday

Wednesday Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    paco,

Not sure exactly what you need to do. I'd get a drivers license first off at least. Register your car (although you probably should have already done that), register to vote, get a bank account, etc. I think you have to be established for a whole year before matriculation. Someone else could probably give you more specifics. I was just going to say that you should really think about giving up TX residency for CA residency. It's A LOT easier to get into a TX school as a TX resident than it is to get into a UC as a CA resident. You might end up at some private school in the East. Many of us do. ;)

4. 911Med

911Med Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey I'll trade you residencies. I would MUCH rather have Texas residency over California. The UC school system is incredibly hard to get into. Look at the numbers. Texas prides itself on taking care of its own and most schools are primarily Texas state residents. Statistically, California has the most applicants and the "most highly qualified" applicants, I'm assuming that means GPA, MCATS etc.
    Geography and statistics come into play really quick.
    Best of luck though.

5. LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I bumped up another thread on how tough it is to get into CA schools. A lot of people would much rather have TX residency than CA cuz they say TX is the best state to be a resident of for med school. If you want to prove residency you have to live, work, vote, file taxes here for a year. Keep in mind that they will not count any of the time you spend being here for "educational purposes" towards residency. Good luck.