TOURO CA MSMHS-COM 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangoisagogo

Reaction score
Did not see a current thread for this year's cycle so I decided to create one!

I recently submitted my application on Jan 10 and have not yet heard back yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I am a current MSMHS student at Touro. Let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I am a current MSMHS student at Touro. Let me know if you have any questions!
Hi! How did you tackle some of the program-specific questions without sounding to cheesy? I feel like I sound like a commercial for the MSMHS program but it is truly my top choice for SMPs/post-baccs

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! How did you tackle some of the program-specific questions without sounding to cheesy? I feel like I sound like a commercial for the MSMHS program but it is truly my top choice for SMPs/post-baccs
Are the questions still goal-making, and what you expect to achieve after graduating from this program? I personally think you can be a little cheesy since mine was a bit cheesy. I heard from my classmates that there was a MSMHS informational panel with current students recently. Were you able to attend that?

Are the questions still goal-making, and what you expect to achieve after graduating from this program? I personally think you can be a little cheesy since mine was a bit cheesy. I heard from my classmates that there was a MSMHS informational panel with current students recently. Were you able to attend that?
I wasn't able to attend because I was at my lab job but those are the questions! I'm trying to not have too much a predicted response, would you be able to read through my responses?

current MSMHS student here, lmk if u guys have questions

Hi there! I recently got accepted and just had a few questions. Firstly, what is the housing situation like nearby? Is it possible to get a 1 bed/1 bath alone or do most people end up with roommates or renting a room in a house? Second, how does financial aid work? Are subsidized loans an option or is it all unsubsidized? Also, is there actually time to participate in work study or does it take away too much from study time?

Hi there! I recently got accepted and just had a few questions. Firstly, what is the housing situation like nearby? Is it possible to get a 1 bed/1 bath alone or do most people end up with roommates or renting a room in a house? Second, how does financial aid work? Are subsidized loans an option or is it all unsubsidized? Also, is there actually time to participate in work study or does it take away too much from study time?
so i am a remote student, meaning i am doing the entire program online. I am not sure if that will be an option in the fall, but basically this year, we had the option to do the entire program remote, or hybrid (some classes in person and some online). But from the people I know, most live with roommates. Financial aid is through FAFSA, so fill that out and you will get the option that are available.
Working during the program is very hard!! The program is very fast paced so I would not recommend working.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Do you have any tips on how we can prepare a little before starting the program?
I would say just get organized! Get a planner, limit your extra curriculars like if you volunteer or have a job (quit). Also if you plan to apply to start right after you finish the program then I recommend submitting aacomas and have mcat done and get the 490+ so then you can focus on the program cuz you need a 3.0 in the program to get that guaranteed interview.
So I would say either do mcat before the program or do it after the program and take another gap year in between the program and starting med school.

So we can submit aacomas this summer? we don't have to wait until we have first semester MSMHS grades?

So we can submit aacomas this summer? we don't have to wait until we have first semester MSMHS grades?
aacomas allows updates. i submitted my aacomas in may, took mcat in june, did secondaries and stuff for other schools in july. started msmhs program in august and i did not add touro yet since the deadline for touro isn't til march for us but its good to have stuff done before hand and also to apply to other schools (i would only do that if your mcat is like 498 or higher for DO and 505 or higher for MD.)

Is it recommended that msmhs students submit their application to TUCOM as they are in the program, or May/June after graduating from the program?

Is it recommended that msmhs students submit their application to TUCOM as they are in the program, or May/June after graduating from the program?
Depends on if you already have everything done like mcat and personal statement and etc. also when you want to start, so like if you wanna do the program and then start the following fall then you have to submit app by like feb while in the program and you interview in May. If you wanna take a gap year then you don’t apply til May for the following cycle and you interview in like Nov

Does anyone know if there is going to be a Facebook or groupme page made for accepted students?
group me, someone usually makes it and posts it in the facebook group and on here.
facebook group was made around May. congrats! lmk if you have any questions. I am a current MSMHS student

Hi everyone. I want to apply to this program. On their website there is no mention of mcat requirement or maybe i missed it. I know i would need it if i want the linkage part but do i need mcat score to apply to this program? Thank you.

Hi everyone. I want to apply to this program. On their website there is no mention of mcat requirement or maybe i missed it. I know i would need it if i want the linkage part but do i need mcat score to apply to this program? Thank you.
you need a 490 mcat to get the guaranteed interview along with 3.0 gpa in the program.

you need a 490 mcat to get the guaranteed interview along with 3.0 gpa in the program.
you do not need an MCAT score to apply to the MSMHS program however you need the MCAT to apply to TUCOM. So if you dont take it before you start the masters program you're most likely going to have to take a gap year after the masters to study for the mcat just because it's too difficult to study for the mcat during the program.

you do not need an MCAT score to apply to the MSMHS program however you need the MCAT to apply to TUCOM. So if you dont take it before you start the masters program you're most likely going to have to take a gap year after the masters to study for the mcat just because it's too difficult to study for the mcat during the program.
yea which is why i said you need a 490 for the guaranteed interview (meaning for the COM program)
I honestly recommend having that done before but if you can't then yes you will have to do a gap year and apply the following cycle

Just got accepted today! I was wondering if TUCOM focuses more on the masters GPA than the mcat. I have higher than 490 but lower than 500. I do plan on retaking this June but if I’m trying to not retake it 😖

Just got accepted today! I was wondering if TUCOM focuses more on the masters GPA than the mcat. I have higher than 490 but lower than 500. I do plan on retaking this June but if I’m trying to not retake it 😖
Congrats!! My app was just marked complete today. How long did it take to get your acceptance from when you got the complete email?

I'm in the same boat of having a sub 500 MCAT but I plan to retake to strengthen my DO application.

Congrats!! My app was just marked complete today. How long did it take to get your acceptance from when you got the complete email?

I'm in the same boat of having a sub 500 MCAT but I plan to retake to strengthen my DO application.
Thank you! I submitted my app 3/19 and it was completed by 3/22. Got my acceptance today.

So they just want you to have a 490 or higher and a 3.0 in the program . If you have a higher one of each then you basically increase your chances of getting accepted!

Hello! I had a question about the class structure. Would you say majority of the exams are multiple choice or do they also include short answer?

Hello! I had a question about the class structure. Would you say majority of the exams are multiple choice or do they also include short answer?
they are all multiple choice. the only short answer is anatomy lab exams which you write the name of structures

Do you know what the percentage of students who successfully complete the program is and matriculate into TUCOM?

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone on this thread also apply to ARCOMs master (ACHE MSB). I’m debating between Touro and the ache MSB.

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone on this thread also apply to ARCOMs master (ACHE MSB). I’m debating between Touro and the ache MSB.
Touro! Arcom has some stuff I’ve heard like the med school

I just finished up my second year at ARCOM. I did the MSB program and I think it helped me a lot especially during first year. It was nice to just review the material because it is mostly the same. I am in the top quartile of my class. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out! Best of luck.

Hey guys! congrats to those that have received their acceptances already.
@HopefulPremed. when you applied to the program, were you living in state/close to campus/out of state?
I see a trend of about a month to hear back from them.
How are the community outreach opportunities at this school? Did you do anything during the program to help strengthen your med school apps?

Anyone still waiting to hear back? This is my 4th week since my app was complete so I'm hoping to hear back soon 😅

Anyone still waiting to hear back? This is my 4th week since my app was complete so I'm hoping to hear back soon 😅
Same! I’ve been religiously checking the forum especially since my second recommender delayed my app submitting the recc 🥲

Same! I’ve been religiously checking the forum especially since my second recommender delayed my app submitting the recc 🥲
Lol I've been refreshing my email non stop. Hopefully we get a response this week. I attended the info session last week and heard there are plenty of seats left so that was a relief.

Lol I've been refreshing my email non stop. Hopefully we get a response this week. I attended the info session last week and heard there are plenty of seats left so that was a relief.
Same, this wait is killing me. I am constantly checking my email

• Care
Glad to know we’re all in the same boat! Hope we can all see each other in the fall 🤭

I withdrew my acceptance so hopefully it goes to one of you guys!

anybody know how competitive the msmhs program is? in the info session it sounded like as long as you meet the GPA requirement you have a chance of getting in, but do they prefer higher GPA's? or is it more based on essays/ LOR's?

I spoke to the student success coordinator and she literally told me that it's not competitive to get in. As long as you meet the GPA requirement and don't have any red flags in your application, you have a great chance of getting accepted.

heyy i just finished the program! and got into the DO program!
lmk if yall have questions/ concerns.

Congrats!! How hard was the program for you? Also do you know on average how many of the msmhs students got into tourocom who applied?

Congrats on your acceptance! We hope to be in your place by the end of the program lol. Do you have any tips for doing well in the msmhs program?