Cadaver smells

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiQ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So we had anatomy lab today as usual, and as usual the formaldehyde (or whatever preservative they use) smell is just embedded in my hands. I'm having difficulty eating my sandwich because of the smell lol.. um.. so any advice on how to get rid of the smell? I tried washing with like 20 different soaps.. but the smell is still there.. and I wanna finish my sandwich.
thanx in advance for any responses

Members don't see this ad.

double glove or try some different gloves. Also, you'll get used to the smell before too long & won't notice it so much when you're not actually in the lab.

DesiQ said:
Hey everyone,
So we had anatomy lab today as usual, and as usual the formaldehyde (or whatever preservative they use) smell is just embedded in my hands. I'm having difficulty eating my sandwich because of the smell lol.. um.. so any advice on how to get rid of the smell? I tried washing with like 20 different soaps.. but the smell is still there.. and I wanna finish my sandwich.

i was told by an MD to rub some vicks vapor below your nose, right above your lips so you won't smell the formaldehyde since the vicks vapor rub will overpower it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nitrile gloves work wonders. My hands always smelled using latex and never using nitrile.

Late
Cola

DesiQ said:
Hey everyone,
When I took Vert. Anatomy, I found that Dial Gold bar soap was the best at getting rid of the smell. Those perfumey liquid hand soaps just don't cut it! :)

Formalin/formaldehyde penetrates latex MUCH quicker then nitrile. In fact, even double gloving a latex glove does not give you the protection that a single layer of nitrile will.

latex under nitrile... reduces your dexterity, but hey, it's just gross anatomy, not open heart surgery... ;-)

DesiQ said:
Hey everyone,

1. Latex Gloves, internally lined with aloe.
2. Scented alcohol gel (i.e. Bath & Body Works), applied as soon as gloves are removed.
3. Eat your food with a fork, so you don't touch it.

I wish I had known some of these pointers several years back. I couldn't drink Jasmine Green tea for a whole year because it reminded me of formaldehyde. :)

and make sure you don't get the unflavored soar throat spray... I used it once after gross anatomy... I thought I just took a bite of cadaver... it was REALLY nasty!!!

Put lotion on your hands before you put your gloves on...the formaldehyde didn't seem to soak through the gloves and make my hands smell as much when I did this.

Anatomy lab sucked :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else find themselves getting hungry during gross lab, or am I the only wierdo?

DOrk said:
Did anyone else find themselves getting hungry during gross lab, or am I the only wierdo?
nope, I got really hungry too. formaldehyde does something to your hunger inhibition (maybe a MS 2,3,4, etc could fill us in exactly what this is)... although I couldn't eat chicken for the longest time

No gloves...real Drs ride bare back!

PS I used to get hungry too.

Put some wheatgrass, turtle wax and listerne in the food processor and fill your gloves with it before the lab and then duct tape the cuff so it doesn't spill out.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DOrk said:

Yeah.......for some reason I was thinking of steak fajitas......

Did anyone else think the glut max looked like brisket?

Coca Cola said:

I thought I smelled BBQ sauce one time when I was in there.

Coca Cola said:

For me, it was the muscles of the back... you know, the erector-set ones? Corned beef will never look the same.

I used to get hungry too :laugh:

DOrk and I were at the same cadaver, so maybe that has something to do with it...

My problem was not the smell, but the wasps who somehow always seemed to find their way into the cadavers!

JAMMAN said:
My problem was not the smell, but the wasps who somehow always seemed to find their way into the cadavers!

Do you have your lab outdoors or something?

Geez.

hunger was a common thing is our lab too....

later

DRDAD

intresting though, first two weeks, did not eat any beef jerky, then one day I am sitting there eating some Beef Jerky and I realized that it looked and smelled like Trapezius.... Right Trap to be exact, short end of the story I kept on eating.... You will get used to the smell

you know your in medical school when your chewing gum while happily making sure your cadaver looks nice and you have a great example of whatever your studying.

Mmmmmmmmmm. Taste that gum......

I swear though I had to burn my scrubs I wore during my lab.