Cake Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12345a

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen the stats about how social science majors like psychology, sociology, etc have just as good of a chance of acceptance as hard core science majors. But I was wondering if "soft science" majors from this cycle were questioned about their major choice or the fact that they hadn't taken a lot of upper level science courses when interviewing/applying?
how did you answer the questions?

Will not taking any upper division science classes except biochem negatively effect my application if I keep my GPA above a 3.8 and a DAT above 20 AA?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen the stats about how social science majors like psychology, sociology, etc have just as good of a chance of acceptance as hard core science majors. But I was wondering if "soft science" majors from this cycle were questioned about their major choice or the fact that they hadn't taken a lot of upper level science courses when interviewing/applying?

Will not taking any upper division science classes except biochem negatively effect my application if I keep my GPA above a 3.8 and a DAT above 20 AA?

I doubt it will as long as you nail those sci sections of dat.
But maybe when you take those courses (anatomy, immune, physio, micro) it will be helpful later in dschool?
So I see it as more of an investment..and a better indicator of one's performance in dschool? at least for the first and/or second year.

I am a Psych major. I didn't take the usual "recommended" classes...
I had Genetics, Phys/Anat, Vert Phys, Neurobio of addiction and (pass/fail) Immunology. So I only had 3 upper divisions of biology before i applied (compared to the truckloads of the science majors). I scored well on my science sections on the DAT. So in a way, the schools could see that if I had to study for science subjects, I would do well.

The schools asked me how and whether I wouldbe able to cope with a heavy course load. You just need to able to justify yourself.

Not taking any other upper divs other than biochem would dampen your chances. the schools wants to see that you are interested in science as well.

Also, the schools have a formula to separate students. A heavy portion is from the DAT and the science GPA... only benefit the social science majors have is that they have fewer science classes to ace.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, nobody cares about your major choice. No questions will be asked if you were a "soft science" or non science altogether as long as you take the minimum recommended sciences.

only benefit the social science majors have is that they have fewer science classes to ace.

True, but if you were to not do as well in one class, then you don't have others to bring back up your GPA. For instance, I didn't do so hot in my intro bio classes, but I aced nearly all of my upper division courses so it brought my science GPA back up.

I can tell you that my DS class of 40 had zero "Cake Majors". We did have some diverse majors like 2 pharmacy grads, 2 aeronautical engineers, a physics PHD, a math/computer science guy and a former Naval Aviatrix Officer with a business major 8 years before he got in the Navy.

omg, if i majored in cake, i would be so so so fat.

omg, if i majored in cake, i would be so so so fat.

hahhahahhaha, my concentration would be on brownies..

I took the bare minimum.. only one school asked me about it.. they ended up being really impressed by my TS Score. Psych major ftw!

psych major hereeeeee. minored in bio though -- cell bio, genetics, physio, and then threw in global change and ornithology. if anything, those last two helped round me out on the bio portion of the dat ;)

are you a cake major? Is there seriously a thing called "cake major" lmao

And to be serious and answer your question.... I am told by pretty much every dental school I've talked to that they don't care what undergrad major/degree you have. Just as long as you've taken thier schools pre-reqs and have your DAT score. There are a few things that usually helps them too, its those "recommended" classes they list on thier websites, if you have taken some of those (reglardless of what major you are), then it gives them a better inidcation of what kind of student you are when it comes to upper level sciences.

Its funny how cake majors has more job options then bio majors...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not a big fan of cake, I am more into pie.....but I am really into flour-less choc cake!!!
I also think it comes across offensive when people label other people's major as being "Cake." It is really none of your business how people get into d-school. I personally did Physiology because it was easier then doing a whole other degree that I might of enjoyed more.

would someone please tell me what classes you take as a cake major?

would someone please tell me what classes you take as a cake major?

There is a major at my school called Recreation and Leisure. I don't know if it is a cake major, but it sounds like it. What I heard is that it is more of a management degree for those who want to work as Hotel/Resort managers. I am sure it is not as easy as the name implies.

There is a major at my school called Recreation and Leisure. I don't know if it is a cake major, but it sounds like it. What I heard is that it is more of a management degree for those who want to work as Hotel/Resort managers. I am sure it is not as easy as the name implies.

We have that at my school and it IS as easy as the name implies lol.

I'm going to complete a General Studies degree (which is often scrutinized as a "party" degree) and I by no means think it was a "cake" degree...I took some really challenging courses and left out the "unnecessary" ones that Biology or Chemistry majors have to take. However, at the school I go to, the only "cake" degree that comes to mind is Women's Studies - lol no offense...

I'm going to complete a General Studies degree (which is often scrutinized as a "party" degree) and I by no means think it was a "cake" degree...I took some really challenging courses and left out the "unnecessary" ones that Biology or Chemistry majors have to take. However, at the school I go to, the only "cake" degree that comes to mind is Women's Studies - lol no offense...

do you go to BU...? Also, if you're a guy and thinking of majoring in Women's Studies, prepare yourself for a lot of judging and abuse lol

maybe you should rephrase your post. 'cake majors', as someone already said, is offensive and who are you to say that psych or soc is easy? everyone here took the same OCHEM, GCHEM, BIO, BIOCHEM, etc. classes. do you feel special bc your a bio major and maybe took 2 or 3 more bio classes than a 'soft science' major? your major does not matter. your grades, dat, extra curriculars matter. period.

do you go to BU...? Also, if you're a guy and thinking of majoring in Women's Studies, prepare yourself for a lot of judging and abuse lol

lol word

No, I don't go to BU. I attend Wichita State Univ. (a state school in Kansas).

maybe you should rephrase your post. 'cake majors', as someone already said, is offensive and who are you to say that psych or soc is easy? everyone here took the same OCHEM, GCHEM, BIO, BIOCHEM, etc. classes. do you feel special bc your a bio major and maybe took 2 or 3 more bio classes than a 'soft science' major? your major does not matter. your grades, dat, extra curriculars matter. period.

Hey, I am a Psych major and I have respect for the Bio majors. I mean seriously... Bio majors dont just have 2-3 more science classes. My Bio majo friend had to take Plant Bio, Virology, Microbio (and I heard the labs were a #%^*), Phys/Anat... and the list does go on. Compared to that, I did my prerqs and took an additional 3-4 interesting upper div bio classes and got done.
For me personally, it was easier. And a good choice too. why should I break my head for 4 years when I will be doing grad school anyways?

And I don think the OP is attacking soft science majors, I got the feeling at he/she was considering choosing it.

And it is a pretty creative title. cake majors. :laugh:

Hey, I am a Psych major and I have respect for the Bio majors. I mean seriously... Bio majors dont just have 2-3 more science classes. My Bio majo friend had to take Plant Bio, Virology, Microbio (and I heard the labs were a #%^*), Phys/Anat... and the list does go on. Compared to that, I did my prerqs and took an additional 3-4 interesting upper div bio classes and got done.
For me personally, it was easier. And a good choice too. why should I break my head for 4 years when I will be doing grad school anyways?

And I don think the OP is attacking soft science majors, I got the feeling at he/she was considering choosing it.

And it is a pretty creative title. cake majors. :laugh:

I majored in Kienisiology and I am GLAD I picked a major that I really enjoyed. I wouldn't really say my major is CAKE because it does have few challenging but still interesting coures. One advantage of being that major is that all my pre-req for my pre-major are pretty much most of the pre-reqs I need to apply to dental schools minus ochem, 2nd semester of bio, and biochem. Besides, my job optons won't only be limited to research or teaching if dental school didn't work out. When I hear my friend's biology classes they have to take, all I can think of is.....wow sucks to be a bio major. :laugh:

it's not a hidden fact that "soft" majors mentioned above are a bit easier than the "hard" sciences. take quantum chemistry or advanced organic chem then let's talk. the pre-req science courses are a walk in the park compared to upper level science.

History major here! I actually got a question on my major at one of my interviews - one of the interviewers asked me why I chose history. When I explained my reason, he was very pleased because that was exactly why he chose history as an undergrad. I am now attending that school :)

My non-science major certainly kept my GPA high and allowed me to focus on the sciences, which I took many of. Believe me, it helps.

History major here! I actually got a question on my major at one of my interviews - one of the interviewers asked me why I chose history. When I explained my reason, he was very pleased because that was exactly why he chose history as an undergrad. I am now attending that school :)

My non-science major certainly kept my GPA high and allowed me to focus on the sciences, which I took many of. Believe me, it helps.

good advice. if i had to redo my undergrad, i would have chosen a major in the arts faculty.

in the end, admission is mostly a numbers game with some extracurriculars for spice

be smart about the route you're taking. why do the same thing the hard way?

I would also introduce a caveat - it does depend on the school. While one school didn't care that I was a history major, another school held off on accepting me because I wasn't a bio major. Admissions decisions seem so arbitrary, and I wouldn't make myself crazy over the "right" major. In the end, the numbers and the experience is what counts.

I'm a psych major at a top 20 school. It's pretty interesting and most classes are a lot easier than hardcore science classes.

Some people might take offense to this because they don't want their major to be seen as "easier" than others. Maybe it varies from program to program but I gauged it by the amount (and difficulty) of material, amount of work outside of class, and how well people do in the classes. By that standard, I think that it's fair to say that psych is generally "cake" compared to other majors like bio, chem, engineering, etc.

I wanted to get some more input from accepted students about upper level classes and how adcoms perceive non-science majors.

The only upper division science class that I'm planning on taking is biochem and I'm planning on staying an extra semester. Will this, in combination with a social science major hurt my application?

Would it really help my app if I signed up for more upper level science classes?

It seems like almost no one got flack from adcoms for getting a high GPA by perusing a major that they found interesting.

Last edited:
I'm a bio major with a psych minor, so I've taken enough psych classes to know they are MUCH easier than the upper-level bio classes I have taken. Its just a fact of life at my school (and I think at most as well), and there is really no reason for anyone to take offense to the truth. Honestly, I wish I would have known I could still get into dental school by doing a "cake" major...my GPA would be higher and I would be wayyy less stressed. If anything I give props to the people in those majors that knew that and saved themselves the headache of taking some of these awful classes I have subjected myself to lol

PS- I don't know yet, but I'm sure there is something to be said about have a few more sciences under my belt once I get to dental school, but nonetheless, dschool is going to be a ROUGH 4 years...if I could redo undergrad, I would have done a more interesting major and relaxed a bit more knowing what I would be getting myself into after the fact.

my freshman and soph years i wanted to be an anthropology major...I told that to Dr. Healy at VCU and he asked me why. I said 'cause I liked it. Well I ended up doing a chem major and happy I stuck with this. I didn't like anthro enough to want to take all the major classes. I'm also a bio minor, mostly 'cause it just makes sense with all the upper level bio classes I took. It's important to choose a major you like but I don't think you should choose a major that would drive you crazy with work, work, work. Chemistry has been a fly-by for me :thumbup:

I'm a psych major at a top 20 school. It's pretty interesting and most classes are a lot easier than hardcore science classes.

Some people might take offense to this because they don't want their major to be seen as "easier" than others. Maybe it varies from program to program but I gauged it by the amount (and difficulty) of material, amount of work outside of class, and how well people do in the classes. By that standard, I think that it's fair to say that psych is generally "cake" compared to other majors like bio, chem, engineering, etc.

I wanted to get some more input from accepted students about upper level classes and how adcoms perceive non-science majors.

The only upper division science class that I'm planning on taking is biochem and I'm planning on staying an extra semester. Will this, in combination with a social science major hurt my application?

Would it really help my app if I signed up for more upper level science classes?

It seems like almost no one got flack from adcoms for getting a high GPA by perusing a major that they found interesting.

I commend all psych majors. Took one class my fresh year and hated it...never took one again. I found it pretty difficult, actually.
As to your question I think it would be more beneficial for you to sign up for upper level science classes. As long as you got good grades it's going to be a great addition to your application.