calc II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmb81

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so how much harder is calc. w/ analytic geometry II than calc. w/ analytic geometry I? I did a search and didnt find much other than some sayin dont take it.

Members don't see this ad.

cmb81 said:
so how much harder is calc. w/ analytic geometry II than calc. w/ analytic geometry I? I did a search and didnt find much other than some sayin dont take it.

calc II is just a little bit more abstract. it's not bad though.

Calc 1 is derivatives, Calc 2 is antiderivates (integration). They're both based on graphical models and neither is all that difficult to understand, once you get the concept of limits. Of course, you must have 1 before 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually did better in Calc II :eek:

For most people, Calc II is the speed-bump in the math course sequence. Many classes start out with 25 or 30, and end up passing 6 or 8. I found it quite easy (and got over 100% - took the final for fun). However, the first day of class the professor asked everyone how many credits they were all taking. Anyone taking over 15 credits he told them to drop some. I was taking 21 at the time. He laughed at me. Just kept looking at me and laughing like I was nuts.

Calc II is lots of work, tho - killed more than a few forests in that class for homework. It was common to turn in 20 pages a week in mandatory homework, and that doesn't count the other 40 pages a week in optional problem sets. I would highly recommend it, especially if you're going to do higher level chemistry or physics (heck second semester intro physics if you're in the calc-based track.)

ShyRem said:
Calc II is lots of work, tho - killed more than a few forests in that class for homework. It was common to turn in 20 pages a week in mandatory homework, and that doesn't count the other 40 pages a week in optional problem sets. I would highly recommend it, especially if you're going to do higher level chemistry or physics (heck second semester intro physics if you're in the calc-based track.)

if you are planing in doing high level science, i highly recommend the whole sequence of calc. Truthfully I recommend as much math as you can take. I am a math major and alot of what I learned has been applyed to the science and it makes it easier if you know where it is all coming from.

At my school Calc 2 is immensely more difficuly than Calc 1, but thats largely because Calc 1 is absurdely easy.

Although a lot of people have trouble with Calc 2, it is manageable. Don't let the people not cut out for medicine tell you that it is impossible. Just because they cant hack it doesnt mean you cant, and many people even find it easy.

You learn a lot more in Calc 2. I dont think a clinician will ever need it but if you go into research having a lot more math would help (definitely stats, maybe calc depending on what you do, and I would think some complicated stats would use calc). Some med schools require it to, so you should take it.

Funny that someone mentioned having done better in Calc 2. Very much like O Chem (another class pre meds cry about), although the second semester is a lot harder, it also makes a lot more sense (the material ties together better) and is more useful/interesting, so I am not suprised that many people to better.

I never understand how you people toss out all these course names and everybody else seems to know what the hell you're talking about. For example, MTH 254 and MTH 256 were among the many math classes I took as an undergrad. Which one did you think was harder?

I don't know, does every school in America other than the one I went to have a standardized curriculum where "Calc II" means the same thing everywhere? Because I took a lot of calc. classes and not a one of them was called "Calc II."

Calc II typically starts with the fundamental theorem of calculus where you relate integrals with antiderivatives. You usually work with integrals for quite a bit and then you may touch on vectors or differential equations a little and you'll probably end on infinite series. I took it about 3 years after having calc I. I didn't think it was too bad at all other than initially when I had to get my rusty calculus moving. I used to leave class with a huge headache.

sacrament said:
I never understand how you people toss out all these course names and everybody else seems to know what the hell you're talking about. For example, MTH 254 and MTH 256 were among the many math classes I took as an undergrad. Which one did you think was harder?

I don't know, does every school in America other than the one I went to have a standardized curriculum where "Calc II" means the same thing everywhere? Because I took a lot of calc. classes and not a one of them was called "Calc II."
When I say Calc 1, 2, or 3 I'm not specifying an exact course number - obviously these are different at each school. There is a standard curriculum in calculus, though, and as Medikit mentioned, Calc 1 = derivitives; Calc 2 = integrals, sequences and series; Calc 3 = multivariate.

kapnut said:
if you are planing in doing high level science, i highly recommend the whole sequence of calc. Truthfully I recommend as much math as you can take. I am a math major and alot of what I learned has been applyed to the science and it makes it easier if you know where it is all coming from.

WHOOOO-HOOOOO! I found someone as nuts as me!!! I couldn't agree more, but I usually get harpooned here for saying take more math. I'm also a math major (and a chemistry major), and although chemistry only requires through multivariate calculus, I found complex analysis VERY helpful. Also wish I'd had Abstract before Pchem - the symmetry groups would have made more sense, although non-Euclidean geometries helped immensely. I've also been a proponent of calc-based physics. I think it makes more sense (and is quite frankly much easier) than memorize, plug-n-chug algebra-based physics.

I usually tell my friends in other science majors to take AT LEAST through Calc III, Linear I and II, and math modeling. They tell me I'm crazy. :rolleyes:

liverotcod said:
When I say Calc 1, 2, or 3 I'm not specifying an exact course number - obviously these are different at each school. There is a standard curriculum in calculus, though, and as Medikit mentioned, Calc 1 = derivitives; Calc 2 = integrals, sequences and series; Calc 3 = multivariate.

This is exactly what I'm talking about... I guess maybe there must be a standard curriculum, since nobody else ever seems confused by these threads. But my math education in undergrad apparently followed a different path than every other math-taking college student in the United States. Oh well, carry on then.

liverotcod said:
Calc 1 is derivatives, Calc 2 is antiderivates (integration). They're both based on graphical models and neither is all that difficult to understand, once you get the concept of limits. Of course, you must have 1 before 2.
It must vary, because I had derivatives and integration in calc 1. Calc 2 is supposedly much harder, but I didn't take it since I had already had more than enough.

TheProwler said:
It must vary, because I had derivatives and integration in calc 1. Calc 2 is supposedly much harder, but I didn't take it since I had already had more than enough.

You usually start integration at the end of Calc 1 but do a lot more with it in Calc 2 and also do a little with differential equations and infinite series.

Calc 1 often ends with the Fundamental Theory of Calculus and Calc 2 begins with it.

There is no doubt that Calc 2 teaches you a lot more and gives you a much greater appreciation for the power of calculus. I would think that anyone who wants to do research should take it because statistical analysis will be involved and you can do a lot of things with calculus that you cant with algebra.

Of course it is not necessary for everyone and you can always take it later if you find that you need it. I still think all pre meds should take it.