Calculate GPA for classes taken after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curious George

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how med schools calculate the GPA for courses taken after graduation? Do they average the after-graduation GPA with the old undergrad GPA?

I'm taking a few upper-division science courses without participating in any formal Postbac program. Will that work against me?

Thanks for your response.

Members don't see this ad.

The post-grad classes simply add to your undergrad GPA. For example, if you took 130 hours to complete your B.S., then took 24 hours post-bacc (formal program or informally), your undergrad GPA would include 154 hours of course work. On your AMCAS or AACOMAS academic record, where you indicate which year of school you were in when you took the class (FR, SO, etc.), the classes are shown as PB (post-bacc).

Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Yes, AACOMAS does average in all your classes as one. This was great for me since I have 2 masters degrees and a not-so-hot undergrad. GPA. However, when you finish the application there is a screen that shows your GPA by each year Fresman, Soph., Jr., Senior, and then Graduate (as well as total combined GPA). I addition there is a seperate science GPA calculation.

I would recomend getting a copy of the application program and taking a look at it. It will give you an idea about what is involved in filling out the application. Plus, it is never to early to start thinking about the essay question.