calculated vs. actual values

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedocta

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If friction is present in a pendulum, then the height and velocity is lower than if it were without friction. How is it that the calculated values would be less than the actual values? My impression is that actual refers to the real world situation where friction is present, so the actual values would be lesser than the calculated values (w/o friction). Can someone explain why my reasoning is wrong? or if the premise totally switched? I'm so confused. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If friction is present in a pendulum, then the height and velocity is lower than if it were without friction. How is it that the calculated values would be less than the actual values? My impression is that actual refers to the real world situation where friction is present, so the actual values would be lesser than the calculated values (w/o friction). Can someone explain why my reasoning is wrong? or if the premise totally switched? I'm so confused. Thanks

Values calculated off of theory would be higher than values observed experimentally for the maximum height of the bob and it's velocity. You are thinking correctly--energy is lost to heating due to friction, etc. You got it right with your reasoning.

I guess the answer is wrong then. The credited answer says that the calculated value(theoretical) is less than the actual value(observed).

Where was this question from? I saw a question very similar to it in a TPR practice test (verbal = hard) the other day, but the answer correctly took friction into account.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as the OP gets the concept it doesn't matter if he misread the question or if the book is wrong.