Calculating Overall GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confetti&icecream

Reaction score
Good morning SDN,

I am excited to be applying to physical therapy schools, primarily in Texas, for the 20'-21' cycle. I graduated my undergrad in December and am finishing taking my pre-reqs this spring semester at another college. During my undergrad I completed various other courses from other colleges (I have taken courses from four different colleges). I was wondering how schools will view my overall GPA? Will they just look at my GPA from where I completed my undergrad or will they factor in my grades from other colleges as well? I do know schools also consider your pre-req and last 60 hours. However, when it comes to primary my overall GPA, how will this be calculated?

Best and stay well,
An Aspiring DPT

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends. As a whole, yes, they will generally calculate your cumulative averages based on your entire body of student work (I also had transcripts from 4 schools spanning about 11 years). Now, how they weigh that average depends on the program. They may recalculate based on your last 60 hours, they may only look at your prereqs, they may average out classes that you've taken twice, etc. It's really at the discretion of the program.

The PTCAS common app gives you the opportunity to fill in which pre-reqs that you would like to apply to your application, but at the final calculation of GPA on the applications, they average out everything based on your transcripts.

When you submit your PTCAS application they will ask for transcripts from all of your previous schools where you have taken classes. You will have to input the school name yourself (for example blank University) and put in every semester courses and grades individually (fall, spring, summer, winter) of year 1, year 2, etc. once you input everything from every institution and they receive your transcripts they will calculate a bunch of GPAs including overall GPA from all your schools, science, math, science and math, etc. it’s all one number. You have to input the grades on PTCAS EXACTLY HOW THEY APPEAR ON YOUR TRANSCRIPT!!! For example, my school had organic chemistry 1 as Org Chm Lect and that’s exactly how you input that. Every course has to correspond to your transcripts that they receive. My best opinion is to go to an online college gpa calculator and input every grade to get your cumulative GPA. To save some time calculate the amount of A’s you have based on your credits, B’s, c’s and put that into the calculator. For example: 56 credits of A’s, 50 credits of A-, 20 credits of B, 20 credits of B- and so on. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out! I am a current PT student and would love to help! Best of luck!