Calculating volunteer hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktran17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how do I go about calculating volunteer hours if I'm in a fraternity. We do a variety of things that include runs, clean ups, tutoring, raising money for hospitals, and etc? My fraternity does not log hours. I'll be in my fraternity for 3 years by the time I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you can just estimate it conservatively (i.e. on the lesser side.)
I imagine no one is going to travel through time and remember that you skipped a weekend because you were sick.

For now just look at the major events you do, I'm sure there is something you do every year like a diabetes charity run, and start counting the major events. Then throw in the smaller events you remember, like collecting cans from the dorms one weekend.

I'm not sure if you should categorize it all as "fraternity volunteer events" or what.

I'm sure someone can provide insight as to that. I'm guessing you shouldn't say activity a: 2 hours can collecting; activity b: 3 hours house painting, etc. Those would make for too many tiny activities.

I'd do a rough estimation on the conservative side like the poster said above. Use a general formula like:

(average # of events per month) x (average # of hours per event) x (# of months you were involved)

if you have more details, then you can weight the avg # of hours per event based on frequency of different types of events that have different amount of hours. You don't need to be very very specific, just say something like active fraternity member, involved in volunteering for 3 years for a total of around X hours. Typical activities include X, Y, and Z about _ times a month during school year.