Calculus 2 Required or not required for MED SCHOOL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IS CALC 2 Required or Not Required for Medical School?

• Total voters

Agent47

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
IS CALC 2 required or not required for MEDICAL SCHOOL?

Members don't see this ad.

School dependent, but I think the answer is generally no.

A few schools require a whole year of calculus (I know Harvard does), but the vast majority do not. A fair number require a year's worth of college level math as I recall, but that can be algebra if you wanted. Check the MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only about 4 schools require cal II for matriculation to a medical school. The ones I am aware of are Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Washington University in St. Louis.

Other than those schools I am not aware of any that require cal II. Also only about 12 other schools require Cal I. So most schools don't require any calculus at all.

From JHMI website-
Mathematics-Calculus or Statistics, one year (6 to 8 semester hours) Advanced Placement credit for calculus, acceptable to the student?s undergraduate college, may be used in fulfillment of one semester of the Hopkins math requirement.

IS CALC 2 required or not required for MEDICAL SCHOOL?

How is this a poll? It's not a subjective question: these days only Harvard and Wash U require calc 2, as you were already told in a similar thread. Only 16 schools require any Calc at all.

Stupid Calc 2...A after ss ..+ H=HOLE

I took Calc 2 is coming close to NOT required...damn it's making me nervous...Meaning .....I have to too...ohh no ****!! :scared:

How is this a poll? It's not a subjective question: these days only Harvard and Wash U require calc 2, as you were already told in a similar thread. Only 16 schools require any Calc at all.

haha. true. :thumbup:... and even for the schools that require calc, call and see how strict of a requirement this is..

A few schools require a whole year of calculus (I know Harvard does), but the vast majority do not. A fair number require a year's worth of college level math as I recall, but that can be algebra if you wanted. Check the MSAR.

This is no longer true. Harvard does require 1 semester of Calculus to give you familiarity with derivatives, integrals, and what-not, but you don't have to take Calculus II. You do have to take a statistics course, though.

This is no longer true. Harvard does require 1 semester of Calculus to give you familiarity with derivatives, integrals, and what-not, but you don't have to take Calculus II. You do have to take a statistics course, though.

Omg! The comment you responded to was 9 years ago

Reactions: 1 users

Well at least the thread participants now know the requirements had changed... 9 years later...

Reactions: 1 users
lol I was SO confused reading this thread until I saw this comment...

Mental note: occasionally glance at comment time-stamps

Reactions: 1 user