You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Calculus 2 Required or not required for MED SCHOOL?
Started by Agent47
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
School dependent, but I think the answer is generally no.
A few schools require a whole year of calculus (I know Harvard does), but the vast majority do not. A fair number require a year's worth of college level math as I recall, but that can be algebra if you wanted. Check the MSAR.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Only about 4 schools require cal II for matriculation to a medical school. The ones I am aware of are Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Washington University in St. Louis.
Other than those schools I am not aware of any that require cal II. Also only about 12 other schools require Cal I. So most schools don't require any calculus at all.
Other than those schools I am not aware of any that require cal II. Also only about 12 other schools require Cal I. So most schools don't require any calculus at all.
From JHMI website-
Mathematics-Calculus or Statistics, one year (6 to 8 semester hours) Advanced Placement credit for calculus, acceptable to the student?s undergraduate college, may be used in fulfillment of one semester of the Hopkins math requirement.
Mathematics-Calculus or Statistics, one year (6 to 8 semester hours) Advanced Placement credit for calculus, acceptable to the student?s undergraduate college, may be used in fulfillment of one semester of the Hopkins math requirement.
IS CALC 2 required or not required for MEDICAL SCHOOL?
How is this a poll? It's not a subjective question: these days only Harvard and Wash U require calc 2, as you were already told in a similar thread. Only 16 schools require any Calc at all.
C
Critical Mass
I don't think that my school even requires calc 1.
How is this a poll? It's not a subjective question: these days only Harvard and Wash U require calc 2, as you were already told in a similar thread. Only 16 schools require any Calc at all.
haha. true. 👍... and even for the schools that require calc, call and see how strict of a requirement this is..
A few schools require a whole year of calculus (I know Harvard does), but the vast majority do not. A fair number require a year's worth of college level math as I recall, but that can be algebra if you wanted. Check the MSAR.
This is no longer true. Harvard does require 1 semester of Calculus to give you familiarity with derivatives, integrals, and what-not, but you don't have to take Calculus II. You do have to take a statistics course, though.
This is no longer true. Harvard does require 1 semester of Calculus to give you familiarity with derivatives, integrals, and what-not, but you don't have to take Calculus II. You do have to take a statistics course, though.
Omg! The comment you responded to was 9 years ago
This is no longer true. Harvard does require 1 semester of Calculus to give you familiarity with derivatives, integrals, and what-not, but you don't have to take Calculus II. You do have to take a statistics course, though.
Omg! The comment you responded to was 9 years ago
Well at least the thread participants now know the requirements had changed... 9 years later...
lol I was SO confused reading this thread until I saw this comment...Omg! The comment you responded to was 9 years ago
Mental note: occasionally glance at comment time-stamps
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 640
