calculus based physics vs algebra based?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does it matter which one i take??

i wanted to sign up for the calculas based physics (thermodynam)
but it is already full so i think i will apply for the algebra based class

will d schools differentiate? the previous phys class i took was prep for both
(it was general phys)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you good at calculus? Then go with the calculus one, it'll make more sense and you'll be able to "figure things out" more easily.

The algebra one will be based a lot more on memorization - which is perfect for people who AREN'T good at math, but will require unnecessary effort from those who are.

As far as requirements for dental school is concerned, it doesn't matter which you take. Just make sure you get good grades :)

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't Matter-Physics is probably the least important science pre-req course you take so I doubt it matters if it's calc based or algebra based. Just get a good grade!

man have fun during your semester just take its algebra but its actually precalc based physics.... SCHOOLS dont care they just care that you took algebra(pre calc) or calc physics... thats it.

To OP- In switching majors, I ended up taking both the full year of Algebra based and Calculus based Physics. From the dental schools I have looked into, none of them specify which type is preferred, and from personal experience I would say Algebra-based is way easier. But maybe that's just applicable to my school in particular. Hope that helps

I just read y'all's post.
I am currently a 2nd year pre-dental student as well.

My community college offers Precal based physics called 1401 and a Calculus based 2425 University Physics.

I am not ready with calculus yet and so I was thinking of CLEPPING PRE-CAL and joining Physics 1401.

To the person who asked this question. Did you succeed? Did they accept your General Physics?

I wrote to Baylor and she kept shifting from Calc to Algebra and then she sent me a definite which was Calc based physics.

Is Pre-calc the same?