Calculus in Calc based physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

Alright, so I took calculus based physics in college. For some reason, there weren't that many derivations that used calculus, nor was I really required to use too much, if not any calculus for my tests.

Was this just my professor, or did you guys, who ever took calc based physics, used a lot of physics for your calculations?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, so I took calculus based physics in college. For some reason, there weren't that many derivations that used calculus, nor was I really required to use too much, if not any calculus for my tests.

Was this just my professor, or did you guys, who ever took calc based physics, used a lot of physics for your calculations?

Thanks

Derivations (how a particular function is changing, e.g.: velocity) and integrations (e.g.: Maxwell's equations)?

Just about all physics equations are derived from calculus, so the two subjects are interconnected. It's highly unlikely that you'll be asked to derive an equation using calculus on an exam or a homework assignment. I guess in that sense you don't really use calculus, but with calculus you can elaborate upon the ideas presented with an algebraic approach to physics.

Last edited:
Oh okay. Yes, by derivations, I meant by how functions were derived from calculus. Thanks

my physics teacher loved math and we had a few derivations on our midterm and final.

my calc teacher also loved physics. so we had a lot of physics related problems on our tests.

in other words: i had the worst of both worlds, twice. seems like you had more luck than me