Calculus on PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHARMD_Maybe?

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does one need to know any more than Calculus I to do well on this part of the exam? Is there a list anywhere that tells the specific content covered on the test in each section in detail. So that, I would not study plants for example in preparation for the biology section. I don't want to review material that is not on the test. Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Pick up the Kaplan book. That covers what you need to know for the biology/chemistry/reading/verbal sections. For math I would get an additional general standardized test math review book because I didnt find the Kaplan's that good. There is no calculus in it currently either and the new addition is probably releasing too late to help. But I think one semester of calculus knowledge is probably sufficent, especially since its only about 5 of the 58 math questions.

if you have some sort of decent calculus background, it should be fine. That's what i found for the jan 2005 PCAT that i took. i only recall seeing 2 calc questions on the test. maybe the june one had more?

Yeah, I took it in June and there was hardly any. I got myself all worked into a tizzy for no reason. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
There was nothing on the PCAT beyond differentiation. I remember one question about the concavity of a function. And I think there was one limits problem. So Calc I is MORE than enough to answer the calculus questions. I don't remember seeing any trig differentials - and nothing more complicated than the Power Rule.

Algebra, trig and plane geometry are your friends - the math section was heavy with this stuff. Drill, drill and redrill. No one in the room with me actually finished the math section.

Troy

Thanks everyone. I have ordered the Kaplan book and "Calculus for Dummies" from Amazon to hopefully get me up to speed.