cali law exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danxdan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like half the study guide is on how the board is setup and not really about optometry. Is chapter 7 what i should be focusing on

Members don't see this ad.

I took it last year and I remember the study guide being fairly specific on what you need to study... It's solely on the codes they tell you read. Read those codes. I thought the test wasn't that easy (honestly thought NBEO I was easier for me) and I think if you fail it you can't retake it for 6 months?

I took it last year and I remember the study guide being fairly specific on what you need to study... It's solely on the codes they tell you read. Read those codes. I thought the test wasn't that easy (honestly thought NBEO I was easier for me) and I think if you fail it you can't retake it for 6 months?

Whoa, I wouldn't go that far. It takes like a week to prepare for the law exam, and some questions are strictly regurgitation as opposed to logic. However, Part I takes months (or years of comprehension) to prepare for...but you can usually reason out the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa, I wouldn't go that far. It takes like a week to prepare for the law exam, and some questions are strictly regurgitation as opposed to logic. However, Part I takes months (or years of comprehension) to prepare for...but you can usually reason out the answer.

So do most questions require logic or are the majority found just by reading the covered codes

Just saying. I was laughing through NBEO part I but I literally said 'uh oh' during this one (and also my driver's test). But you're right, I'm horrid at regurgitation and am much better with science/explanation. The take away is that it shouldn't be underestimated but yea I agree 1 week is all you need and it was mostly recall of those codes. I'm sure the pass rate on this thing is incredibly high but not being able to re-take the examination for 6 months if you don't pass sounds pretty steep.

Also if you search the older posts regarding the CA law exam, they may be helpful.

Oh, yeah, you DEFINITELY need to memorize, like...REALLY WELL, the referral guidelines. But you also need to pay attention to things like what you can/can't do in terms of advertising. Pay attention to the clinical stuff, but it is awfully hard to "logic" your way through a question that is solely a matter of written law. It's like this...

Given a person's birthday, how long do you have to give that person a gift before it is considered "late" or an "after thought"?
a) 1 day
b) 5 days
c) 7 days
d) 10 days
e) 14 days
f) 30 days

Like...you can sorta reason your way through it, but the "right" answer is not readily apparent if you didn't read it in the law book. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
good,Some of them are logical, but from what I can remember, there's a lot of nitty gritty numbers that you have to memorize
QwqhZC

a lot of people are talking about unproffesionnal conduct vs other things (misconduct or something else maybe). it seems like in the codes to study there are just alist of unprofessional conducts.

thanks for the advice people.took test and passed.