California Applicants (2015-2016 Cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kinesiology.To.DPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I saw a couple of "California Applicant" threads from past years and thought I would create one for those applying this cycle. Feel free to post your stats, interview invitations, acceptances, rejections, etc. As for me, I applied to Azusa, CSUN, Loma Linda, MSMU, CSUS, Samuel Merritt, UOP, University of St. Augustine (San Marcos), West Coast, and Western. Good luck to all and I look forward to hearing from other California applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
University: UC Berkeley
Major: Rhetoric
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V 164 / Q 152 / AW 4.0

Extra-Curric: about 700hrs of volunteer work in several settings

Volunteer: 91 out patient & 45 in patient

Applied: WesternU, USC, West Coast

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews: WesternU

I'm getting my last few hours in this week for USC, and that app will be getting in just under the wire!

School: George Washington University
Major: Neuroscience (Special Interdisciplinary)
Cumulative GPA: 3.74
PreReq GPA: 3.97
GRE: V166 / Q 161 / AW 4.0

Extracurric: Research career (9yrs), undergrad research (mentored fellowships, SURP), undergrad TA, Easter Seals teacher's assistant, inner city tutor, hospital social services volunteer, charity marathon, sexual assault response team volunteer

PT Volunteer: 80 military outpatient, 75 outpatient neurologic, 10 inpatient hospital

Applied: San Diego State University (SDSU), University St Augustine San Marcos

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

Members don't see this ad :)
School: CSUDH
Major: Kinesiology (Pre-PT option)
Cumulative GPA: 3.28
Pre-Req GPA: 3.45
GRE: 309 / 4.0

Volunteer: 91 Outpatient and 90 Inpatient

Applied: CSUN, Loma Linda, Mount Saint Mary, USC, Chapman (summer & fall), Azusa Pacific University, and Samuel Merritt

Acceptances: Loma Linda (1/22/16)

Rejections: CSUN (12/17/15) *did not meet the 200 required hours, Mount St. Mary (2/3/16)

Interviews: Loma Linda (12/21/15) - Samuel Merritt (1/30/16) (Declined) - APU (2/3/16)

Last edited:
Just got a letter from Azusa. Their 2016 Spring cohort has already been filled and my application was carried over to the 2017 applicant pool.

No, but I wasn't too surprised. I submitted my app pretty late. Did you get an interview with them?

Yeah, I did. I didn't know about the earlier application for Azusa so I applied probably when the cohort was mostly full. I sent you a PM

Posting this in case this might be useful for someone. I applied ED with average (actually below average for CSULB) GPAs and got in! Good luck to everyone applying!

University: University of California, Irvine
Majors: Dance Performance and Economics
Overall GPA: 3.31
Pre-Req GPA: 3.65
GRE: 160 (V) 159 (Q) 4.5 (AW)

Extra-Curric: Volunteer at church nursery, UCI Dance Department Student Advisory committee, Environmental Nature Center Volunteer, BLS certified, teacher's assistant/substitute teacher at ballet studio

Awards: Dean's Honor List, John Hollowell Composition Program Best Analysis Essay Award

Volunteer: 25 In-patient (geriatrics), 233 Outpatient (general orthopedic, oncology, pulmonary, home health, pediatrics, women's health)

Applied: CSULB ED
Acceptances: CSULB

Posting this in case this might be useful for someone. I applied ED with average (actually below average for CSULB) GPAs and got in! Good luck to everyone applying!

Extra-Curric: Volunteer at church nursery, UCI Dance Department Student Advisory committee, Environmental Nature Center Volunteer, BLS certified, teacher's assistant/substitute teacher at ballet studio

Awards: Dean's Honor List, John Hollowell Composition Program Best Analysis Essay Award

Volunteer: 25 In-patient (geriatrics), 233 Outpatient (general orthopedic, oncology, pulmonary, home health, pediatrics, women's health)

Do you happen to know how much of the class was filled with ED applicants or if they still have seats available? I applied pretty early, but not ED and haven't heard back yet!

Do you happen to know how much of the class was filled with ED applicants or if they still have seats available? I applied pretty early, but not ED and haven't heard back yet!

I'm not sure, but I remember reading from a post somewhere that most seats get filled with ED applicants. Hopefully you hear back soon! Best of luck to you!

I also applied CSULB ED and got accepted. Whoo!!

Reactions: 1 users
Major: Rhetoric
Overall GPA: 3.8
GRE: V 164 / Q 152 / AW 4.0

Extra-Curric: about 700hrs of volunteer work in several settings

Volunteer: 91 out patient & 45 in patient

Applied: WesternU, USC, West Coast

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews: WesternU

I'm getting my last few hours in this week for USC, and that app will be getting in just under the wire!

When did you submit your application for Western?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied CSULB ED and got accepted. Whoo!!

NICE!!! I guess we'll be classmates! Besides the initial acceptance, have you received any other info from either the university or the actual pt department?

NICE!!! I guess we'll be classmates! Besides the initial acceptance, have you received any other info from either the university or the actual pt department?
No, haven't heard of anything else yet. Hoping they make a facebook page soon, I need to find a roommate somehow.

School: UC Berkeley
Major: Integrative Biology
cGPA (undergrad): 3.456
Pre-req GPA: 3.3 - 3.7
GRE: Q 155 / V 162 / W 5.0

Volunteer: 469 Outpatient / 216 Inpatient

Applied: CSUF, CSULB, CSUN, CSUS, Chapman, Samuel Merritt, UCSF/SFSU, USC, UoP, WesternU (out of state: UNLV, UW)

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews: WesternU 1/28/16

Last edited:
School: CSUDH
Major: Kinesiology (Pre-PT option)
Cumulative GPA: 3.28
Pre-Req GPA: 3.45
GRE: 309 / 4.0

Volunteer: 91 Outpatient and 90 Inpatient

Applied: CSUN, Loma Linda, Mount Saint Mary, USC, Chapman (summer & fall), Azusa Pacific University, and Samuel Merritt

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews: Loma Linda (12/21) Samuel Merritt (1/30/16)

Hi CaliPhoto!

I submitted my application sort of late (though before the deadline), and am still completing one prerequisite, so I'm worried this affects my chances of getting an interview. Hoping you can shed some light on your dates (when you submitted and when you got an interview invitation from SMU). Thanks!

Hi CaliPhoto!

I submitted my application sort of late (though before the deadline), and am still completing one prerequisite, so I'm worried this affects my chances of getting an interview. Hoping you can shed some light on your dates (when you submitted and when you got an interview invitation from SMU). Thanks!

I submitted app around September 21, 2015 It was verified around October 20, 2015.

UPDATE:

Applied: CSUF, CSULB, CSUN, CSUS, Chapman, Samuel Merritt, UCSF/SFSU, USC, UoP, WesternU (out of state: UNLV, UW)

Acceptances: USC (12/08/15)

Rejections:

I'm very hesitant to spend the $150K+ on USC... but I'm relieved that, at the very least, I won't have to wait another year to reapply! *whew*

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
UPDATE:

Cumulative undergrad GPA: 3.456
Cumulative undergrad GPA (PTCAS): 3.36
Cumulative undergrad+post-bach (PTCAS): 3.42

Rejections:

I'm very hesitant to spend the $150K+ on USC... but I'm relieved that, at the very least, I won't have to wait another year to reapply! *whew*

Congrats on USC!!! Do you remember when they emailed you confirming your application has been received and that it'll take up to 4 weeks to review your app?

UPDATE:

Cumulative undergrad GPA: 3.456
Cumulative undergrad GPA (PTCAS): 3.36
Cumulative undergrad+post-bach (PTCAS): 3.42

Rejections:

I was accepted to USC today tooooo!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on USC!!! Do you remember when they emailed you confirming your application has been received and that it'll take up to 4 weeks to review your app?

Thanks! I received an email titled "USC DPT PTCAS Application Received" on October 19th. Nothing about 4 weeks mentioned though, so I'm not sure if that's the email you're asking about. Hope that's helpful!

Thanks! I received an email titled "USC DPT PTCAS Application Received" on October 19th. Nothing about 4 weeks mentioned though, so I'm not sure if that's the email you're asking about. Hope that's helpful!

I totally confused the 4 week notice with Touro's email haha. USC said in my email that a decision should be made by April or May.

But you received the "application received" email way before I did so that's probably why you got such an early decision. Thanks for responding! Good luck in your decision!

Just got an interview invite for Azusa's 2017 cohort. I was hoping to get accepted into the 2016 class but they had to push my application back a year since their seats were already filled for next year.

University: CSU Fullerton (Fall 2010 – Spring 2014)
Major: BS in Biology, concentration: Cell and Developmental
ptcas CumGPA: 3.52
ptcas pre-GPA: 3.52
GRE: 154 (Q) 155(V), 4.5 essay

Volunteer/ PT AIDE : ~ 500hrs Outpatient (ortho, neuro, geriatrics, seen everything lol) / Volunteer : 100hrs inpatient (geriatric, neuro, etc.)

Applied: CSUF, CSUN, Chapman, Samuel Merritt, UCSF/SFSU, USC, UNLV, NAU

Acceptances: USC (11/23/15 email acceptance)

Rejections: Fresno State lmao ( 12/10/15)

Interviews: TBA

University: CSU Fullerton (Fall 2010 – Spring 2014)
Major: BS in Biology, concentration: Cell and Developmental
ptcas CumGPA: 3.52
ptcas pre-GPA: 3.52
GRE: 154 (Q) 155(V), 4.5 essay

Volunteer/ PT AIDE : ~ 500hrs Outpatient (ortho, neuro, geriatrics, seen everything lol) / Volunteer : 100hrs inpatient (geriatric, neuro, etc.)

Applied: CSUF, CSUN, Chapman, Samuel Merritt, UCSF/SFSU, USC, UNLV, NAU

Acceptances: USC (11/23/15 email acceptance)

Rejections: Fresno State lmao ( 12/10/15)

Interviews: TBA

That's interesting. Your stats are better than mine, but I received an interview invite from Fresno. I wonder why they sent a straight up rejection.

But congrats on USC!

Last edited:
UPDATE!!

Rejections:

Interviews: WesternU 1/28/16, CSU Fresno 1/30/16

I think I'll be turning down the WesternU interview, since I'd rather go to USC if I had to pick a southern California school. Anyone know what the interview looks like at Fresno? I've only heard it was a group/panel situation.

Last edited:
Pretty humbled to check my email and see an acceptance from USC this morning. Also disheartened by the significantly higher tuition, but nevertheless, an exciting day!

University:
Nova Southeastern University
Major: Psychology and Behavioral Neuroscience
Overall GPA: 3.97
GRE: 156 V/156 Q/5.0 Writing

Extra-Curric:
NCAA Div II rower, completed an undergraduate thesis, published research, research fellow at Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, research assistant at University of Florida, peer leader, independent studies, presented research at national conferences

Volunteer:
150 hours in-patient, acute care at the Cleveland Clinic; 150 hours out-patient sports medicine at university's sports med clinic

Applied:
Nova, FIU, USF, UMiami, USC, GWU, Boston U, Temple, University of Washington

Acceptances:
USC, UMiami

Rejections:
N/A

Interviews:
FIU (declined early interview to be placed back in the regular applicant pool), UMiami (December 4th), George Washington University (January 8th)

Last edited:
University: San Francisco State University
Major: B.S. Kinesiology, M.S. Kinesiology (in progress)
Overall GPA: 3.74
Pre-Req GPA: 3.81
Post-bac GPA: 3.75
GRE: V: 160; Q: 153; A: 4.5 (best from each section)

Extra-Curric: 6 yrs. personal training working with special populations, human anatomy lab assistant, grad assistant for anatomical kinesiology, Phi Theta Kappa honor society

Certifications: ACSM CertifiedPersonal Trainer, Functional Movement Screen Level 1, TRX Qualified Trainer, AHA BLS

Volunteer: 150 hours inpatient acute care hospital, 230 hours outpatientorthopedic

E-submitted: 10/27/2015

Verified: 12/04/2015

Applied: University of Pittsburgh, MGH, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, University of Washington, University of the Pacific

Acceptances: N/A

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: UOP (1/29)

Last edited:
University: San Francisco State University
Major: B.S. Kinesiology, M.S. Kinesiology (in progress)
Overall GPA: 3.74
Pre-Req GPA: 3.81
Post-bac GPA: 3.75
GRE: V: 160; Q: 153; A: 4.5 (best from each section)

Extra-Curric: 6 yrs. personal training working with special populations, human anatomy lab assistant, grad assistant for anatomical kinesiology, Phi Theta Kappa honor society

Certifications: ACSM CertifiedPersonal Trainer, Functional Movement Screen Level 1, TRX Qualified Trainer, AHA BLS

Volunteer: 150 hours inpatient acute care hospital, 230 hours outpatientorthopedic

E-submitted: 10/27/2015

Verified: 12/04/2015

Applied: University of Pittsburgh, MGH, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, University of Washington, University of the Pacific

Acceptances: N/A

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: UOP (1/29)
Congrats on the interview at UoP! I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for either the interview invitation or the rejection letter :p Good luck on the big day!!

Congrats on the interview at UoP! I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for either the interview invitation or the rejection letter :p Good luck on the big day!!
Thank you. I hope you hear something soon!

I just received my acceptance to Mount Saint Mary's University in the mail! :)

Hey everyone,

For those of you who got accepted into USC's DPT program, do you know or have any idea of when they'll be mailing out the letter of acceptance (via regular mail) containing the commitment deposit forms?

Thanks !

Hey everyone,

For those of you who got accepted into USC's DPT program, do you know or have any idea of when they'll be mailing out the letter of acceptance (via regular mail) containing the commitment deposit forms?

Thanks !
I'm interested in this information as well. The email didn't give any hints on timeline at all. If I don't see anything before the end of the year, I'll probably call or email Virginia Orcasitas. This waiting game is making me doubt my acceptance email... I have to reread it once in a while to make sure I didn't imagine it lol

I just emailed Dr. Lowe from MSMU and apparently they send out two rounds of offers; one in December and another in January (based on the number of spots remaining in the class). Congrats to those who have already been accepted!

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from UCSF/SFSU?

I'm interested in this information as well. The email didn't give any hints on timeline at all. If I don't see anything before the end of the year, I'll probably call or email Virginia Orcasitas. This waiting game is making me doubt my acceptance email... I have to reread it once in a while to make sure I didn't imagine it lol
So, I caved. Not surprised lol. I emailed Virginia, and she said she sent out the letters on Monday. Hope they arrive soon!

Just received an email rejection from CSUN.

I did not meet the minimum 200 volunteer hours required. I have 180.

Major: English, Environmental Science
Overall GPA: 3.84 undergrad, 3.91 with post-bac
Pre-Req GPA: 3.74
GRE: V 167 (97%) / Q 158 (71%) / AW 4.5

Volunteer: 106 out patient (two private clinics), 102 in patient (one rehab hospital)

Applied: Samuel Merritt, UCSF/SFSU

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

Submitted 8/18/15, verified 9/03/15. Cannot wait to hear about interviews!!! Good luck everyone!

Some updates!

Hours: 469 Outpatient / 216 Inpatient

Rejections: None yet

Interviews: WesternU 1/28/16, CSU Fresno 1/30/16, UNLV 1/22/16, CSU Sac 2/6/16

Has anyone heard anything from Chapman yet? I received an email from them in September saying they would begin sending out decisions this month but I haven't seen anything.

Is anyone else interviewing at UOP?

Checked UCSF website - they send invites on 1/7 for 1/23. That's sooooo late and kind of not okay if you're trying to book plane tickets/hotels.