California Applicants (2015-2016 Cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Checked UCSF website - they send invites on 1/7 for 1/23. That's sooooo late and kind of not okay if you're trying to book plane tickets/hotels.
Can you link this? The page I was looking at said invites would be sent on 1/9 for the 1/22-1/23 interview weekend. But their mobile website is a little confusing, so maybe you found something more updated.

Even so, you're right, that's not a lot of time to get flights and hotels in order, especially given that SF is not a cheap place to visit. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Can you link this? The page I was looking at said invites would be sent on 1/9 for the 1/22-1/23 interview weekend. But their mobile website is a little confusing, so maybe you found something more updated.

Even so, you're right, that's not a lot of time to get flights and hotels in order, especially given that SF is not a cheap place to visit. :confused:

1/9, you're right. Even worse! That's literally a two week notice.
http://ptrehab.ucsf.edu/prospective-students

Update! 01/22/2016

School: UC Santa Cruz
Major: Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology
Cumulative GPA: 3.56
GRE: V 154/ Q 161 / AW 5.0

Extracurriculars: molecular research lab assistant, pharmacy technician (was originally pre-pharm)

PT Volunteer: 200 outpatient, 48 hospital acute inpatient

Applied: UIndy, UIowa, Samuel Merritt, UCSF, NAU, Marquette, Regis, UW, UTMB, and Chapman

Acceptances: UIndy (12/04)

Rejections: NAU, UTMB (waitlisted), UIowa

Interviews: Samuel Merritt (01/29), Regis (02/01), UCSF (01/23)

I was originally denied an interview with UCSF, but I appealed them and they got back to me 4 days beforehand with an interview! If there's a school you really want to go to and they reject you, it is always worth an appeal. Even if they deny your appeal, you can tell yourself you did your best.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh. Got an email from UCSF/SFSU about an interview!

Reactions: 3 users
Hola, I am a current student at the University of the Pacific. If you have questions I would love to answer them. Also, congrats on your interviews and acceptances thus far and good luck on your school selections. :)

Also got an interview! Got interview on the Friday and the mandatory orientation on the Saturday; is this what everyone has too?

Kind of a bummer that I have to decline my UNLV interview and cancel flights/hotel now, unless they're flexible. Oh well!

Also got an interview! Got interview on the Friday and the mandatory orientation on the Saturday; is this what everyone has too?

Kind of a bummer that I have to decline my UNLV interview and cancel flights/hotel now, unless they're flexible. Oh well!

UNLV has 2 interview days, the 22nd and the 29th! Be sure to contact Dr. Kins and see if he can accommodate you. I believe Southwest will let you change your flight and pay the difference? Not to sure on that one. I have no information on hotel reservations :(.

I emailed UCSF asking for a Skype interview because I have another interview scheduled on that date - they replied that they'll look into it and update me after the holidays.

@bromeliad - IMO, your earlier time commitment should be plenty reason for accommodation!

UNLV has 2 interview days, the 22nd and the 29th! Be sure to contact Dr. Kins and see if he can accommodate you. I believe Southwest will let you change your flight and pay the difference? Not to sure on that one. I have no information on hotel reservations :(.
Oh awesome, thanks for the info! I reached out, and thankfully they had a slot open for the 29th. Rescheduling flights and hotel shouldn't be an issue. Whoohoo!

I emailed UCSF asking for a Skype interview because I have another interview scheduled on that date - they replied that they'll look into it and update me after the holidays.

@bromeliad - IMO, your earlier time commitment should be plenty reason for accommodation!
I really didn't want to miss the orientation or tours for UCSF, so I'm so grateful that UNLV rescheduled me!

Reactions: 1 user
I really didn't want to miss the orientation or tours for UCSF, so I'm so grateful that UNLV rescheduled me!

Glad to hear! We look forward to meeting you and everyone else who plan to come to UNLV!

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE!! ACCEPTANCE!!

I have also been a lingerer on this forum for a while and at times I got nervous I wouldn't get accepted anywhere because of my low undergrad GPA. I didn't even think I would get accepted into a CA school, but I think my prerequisite GPA where the best attempt grades are used really helped me out. So to give hope to those out there with low GPA's. There is hope! :) Also, I applied to a lot of schools that took the higher grade for retaken prerequisite classes, which really helped boost my prerequisite GPA. Just make sure that if you do retake a class that you don't get any grade lower than an A. Also, I took the GRE 3 times and I don't think its that big of a factor for some schools whether or not you take it multiple times, as long as you try to get your highest score.

So, here are my stats! I hope this helps for some of the people with lower GPA's. It will be tough, but it will all be worth it in the end! :)

University: San Jose State University
Major: Kinesiology
PTCAS Undergrad Cumulative GPA: 3.08
Post Bacc GPA: 4.00
Overall GPA: 3.19
PTCAS Prereq GPA: 3.26
GRE (best attempt): Verbal 154, Quant. 147, AW 5.0

PT Observation Hours: 1,004 outpatient ortho (PT Aide), 51 outpatient aquatic, 195 Inpatient/Acute

Extra Curricular's: Vice President/Secretary/Kinesiology Representative of the College of Applied Sciences and Arts (C.A.S.A.) - Student Affairs Committee, Biomechanics Tutor, Kinesiology Major Mentor, Aqua Aerobics Instructor, Adapted Swim Instructor, Global Brigades Public Health Volunteer Honduras, Medical Aid Tent Volunteer SJ Rock N Roll Marathon, Habitat for Humanity, Kinesiology Ambassadors Club member, Pre-PT Club member, Fuerza Escolar volunteer (volunteered at elementary school to help children with reading skills), Dean's List, Spanish speaker, CPR certified

Applied: APU, CSUF, CSULB, CSUS, CSUN, Chapman U, Nazareth College of Rochester, NAU, Pacific U, Samuel Merritt U, UCSF, UCF, UNLV, UOP, Western U, Hampton University, University of Miami, Mercer U, Touro University Nevada, Regis U, University of St. Augustine

Interviews: University of St. Augustine- San Marcos (11/20), SMU (1/29 - 1/30), Fresno State (1/30), University of Miami (1/15), Western University (2/9)

Acceptances: University of St. Augustine - San Marcos!!!

Rejections: APU, NAU, Sac State, Regis U, UNLV

Reactions: 2 users
Those who were accepted to Mount Saint Mary's, Congrats and do you guys plan on going to the school?

Those who were accepted to Mount Saint Mary's, Congrats and do you guys plan on going to the school?

I am still waiting on responses from other schools, but I am sending my deposit. If I do not get into CSUN, I think I will go there.

I've also been lingering on this site for awhile. Decided to finally share my stats and current status.

University: University of California, Santa Barbara
Major: Psychology
PTCAS Undergrad Cumulative GPA: 3.51
Post Bacc GPA: 4.00
Overall GPA: 3.64
PTCAS Prereq GPA: 3.93
GRE: (Took it twice) Verbal 148/156, Quant. 151/156, AW 4.0/4.5

PT Observation Hours: 232 outpatient, 64 inpatient

Applied:
USC, CSUN, Chapman University, Western University of Health Sciences, Mount St. Mary's University, Azusa Pacific University, Loma Linda University

Interviews: Western University (rejected), Loma Linda University, Azusa Pacific University

Waitlisted: Mount St. Mary's University (2/3)

Rejections: Azusa Pacific University

Acceptances: USC (denied), CSUN (1/12), Chapman (denied), Loma Linda University (denied)

Attending: CSUN!!

Last edited:
For those who applied to Western, I just talked to Alberto Espejo and he said they're currently reviewing and offering interviews for applicants with cum. GPAs of 3.5 and above and pre. req. GPAs of 3.3 and above. If either of your GPAs fall under that cut off (which is the case for me) you will be placed in the 2nd group which may take longer to get a response.

UPDATE

University: University of Hawaii at Manoa
Major: Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Science
PTCAS Cum. GPA: 3.52
PTCAS Pre-req GPA: 3.22 (3.2-3.3 depending on the school)
Last 60 GPA: 3.74

GRE:
Q-147, V-150, AW-4.5 (1st time)
Q-154, V-157, AW-5.0 (2nd time)

Observation Hours:
56 - pediatrics/children’s hospital
188 - inpatient rehab hospital
678 - private outpatient clinic (currently working as a PT Aide)

Extra-curriculars / Work Experience:
Currently working as a wellness trainer at a retirement home / SNF (teaching group exercise classes and conducting one to one training), Biomechanics/Aquatics Lab Research, Sports Fitness/Rehab Volunteer (worked with AT/CSCS), College Intern at my high school’s digital media program, student assistant on campus, Filipino Club

Applied: Azusa, Cal State Northridge, Mount St. Marys, University of the Pacific, West Coast, Western University, UNLV
Interviews: Azusa - 2017 class (2/3/16 - Skype), UNLV (1/22/16)
Acceptances:
Wait-lists:
Rejections: UOP (did not receive transcripts and supplemental forms in time), CSUN

Last edited:
UPDATES: 3/1/16

University: CSULA
Major: Exercise Science
cGPA: 3.44
Preq GPA: 3.71
GRE: V 152, Q 150, AW 4.0

Observation: 2,000 hours outpatient in one setting, 100 hours inpatient one setting

Extra-curriculars / Work Experience: Business owner and licensed massage therapist (3.5 years), Undergraduate research (1 year), Officer in Kinesiology and Exercise Science Club, American Medical Student Association Member, Golden Key Honor Society Member, Tri Beta Member

Awards: Deans list (2 times)

Applied: MSMU, APU, CSUN, Western U, LLU, Chapman, West Coast University

Interviews: LLU (11/15), Western (1/12), APU (2/3)

Rejected: West Coast (do not finish undergrad in time), CSUN (email 1/12)

Waitlisted: MSMU (2/3), Western U (1/21)

Accepted: LLU (1/21), APU (2/11), Chapman (3/1)

Edited 2/11/16: Looks like I got into my two favorite.. Now how to decide.. I think Im leaning to APU....
Edited 3/1/16: Got a call from Chapman today offering me a seat! However, I've made up my mind and am going to APU and declined the offer immediately.. Waiting to get deposit conformation before I call LLU to decline there as well

Last edited:
I also received the same email from LLU
And I was at westernU feb 12 interview date.
I heard from somebody that they also received the same email from LLU, I guess they just dont reject anybody yet.

Cum GPA: 3.44

Observation: 2,000 hours outpatient in one setting, 100 hours inpatient one setting

Extra-curriculars / Work Experience: Business owner and licensed massage therapist (3.5 years), Undergraduate research (1 year), Officer in Kinesiology and Exercise Science Club, American Medical Student Association Member, Golden Key Honor Society Member, Tri Beta Member

Applied: MSMU, APU, CSUN, Western, LLU, Chapman, West Coast University

Interviews: LLU (Nov. 15), Western (Jan 12), APU (Feb 3)

Rejected: West Coast (don't graduate soon enough), CSUN (email 1/12/16)

Accepted:

I am very nervous that people have been accepted to MSMU already! I haven't heard anything! I also haven't heard from Chapman.......
Also, I got an email from LLU that I wasn't accepted with my interview group (~100 interviewed, 35 accepted) but that I will be considered with the next interview group and will be notified around 1/26/16. I'm not holding my breath.

Accepted:

I am very nervous that people have been accepted to MSMU already! I haven't heard anything! I also haven't heard from Chapman.......
Also, I got an email from LLU that I wasn't accepted with my interview group (~100 interviewed, 35 accepted) but that I will be considered with the next interview group and will be notified around 1/26/16. I'm not holding my breath.

Dr. Lowe e-mailed me today and she said the deposit deadline for MSMU's first round of offers is on the 17th. After that, they will assess how many seats are still available and then send out another round of offers before the end of this month. Good luck, there's still hope!

I also received the same email from LLU
And I was at westernU feb 12 interview date.
I heard from somebody that they also received the same email from LLU, I guess they just dont reject anybody yet.
The Jan 12th interview date? I hope we make it! Thank you for your response!

Dr. Lowe e-mailed me today and she said the deposit deadline for MSMU's first round of offers is on the 17th. After that, they will assess how many seats are still available and then send out another round of offers before the end of this month. Good luck, there's still hope!
I sure hope I make it! I *think* MSMU may be one of the easier ones to get into and I've kind of been banking on getting in.. Although all applicants are really competitive. Hope we make it! Best of luck to you!

Must have! I was in the 8:00 group, I think they had one later too..

Last edited:

Accepted:

I called Chapman a couple of days ago and I was told they're trying to get all the emails out within the next two weeks! I received an acceptance email about 5 minutes after I called them, and I'm not sure if that had any correlation, but I guess it doesn't hurt to call and ask haha

Reactions: 1 users
Yea i was on your group.
Team red here lol
Ah I was team green!

I called Chapman a couple of days ago and I was told they're trying to get all the emails out within the next two weeks! I received an acceptance email about 5 minutes after I called them, and I'm not sure if that had any correlation, but I guess it doesn't hurt to call and ask haha

Congratulations on the acceptance and thank you!

Has anyone else heard back from USC? Or contacted them to know if they are giving out any more acceptances soon?

Just got a call from Heather at LLU today to let me know that I got in! They will be sending email and snail mail acceptances soon!

I also got an email from Western U that I was placed on the alternate list.

Just got a call from Heather at LLU today to let me know that I got in! They will be sending email and snail mail acceptances soon!

Congrats!! I was also just notified that I'm an alternate at Western U.

Last edited:
Congrats!! I was also just notified that I'm an alternate at Weatern U.
Thank you!!

I heard that they avoid making too many acceptances this early on, so I'm hopeful you'll get good news soon!

Congrats! I am still nervously waiting to hear. I had an October interview so this has been a painful few months!

Congrats! I am still nervously waiting to hear. I had an October interview so this has been a painful few months!
I had an October interview as well! I am worried that more people are getting calls. How are your stats if you don't mind so I can see if we're in the same boat!

I had an October interview as well! I am worried that more people are getting calls. How are your stats if you don't mind so I can see if we're in the same boat!

My undergrad school is Cal State San Bernardino with an undergrad GPA of 3.5. My science and prerequisite GPA is around 3.5 as well. Only 60 hours of volunteer hours :/

Congrats on chapman! In waiting to hear from them too! Do you mind sharing your stats? You can DM me if you'd prefer that

My undergrad school is Cal State San Bernardino with an undergrad GPA of 3.5. My science and prerequisite GPA is around 3.5 as well. Only 60 hours of volunteer hours :/
I called Heather and am on the alternate list.

I called Heather and am on the alternate list.

I'm sorry :/ but there is still a chance! that is making me very nervous. Did she say anything like they called the people that got in? Do you mind sharing your stats?

Congrats on chapman! In waiting to hear from them too! Do you mind sharing your stats? You can DM me if you'd prefer that

Thank you! My PTCAS cGPA is 3.37, pGPA is 3.66, and my GRE scores are 156 V, 162 Q, and 4.0 W! I hope you hear some good news soon! :)

I'm sorry :/ but there is still a chance! that is making me very nervous. Did she say anything like they called the people that got in? Do you mind sharing your stats?
She did not tell me sorry. My stats are 3.8 overall GPA and 3.9 pre-req GPA.

She did not tell me sorry. My stats are 3.8 overall GPA and 3.9 pre-req GPA.

I logged into my secondary application and checked the status and I am also on the alternate list

UPDATE:

Loma Linda has accepted me!

Had my UCSF/SFSU interview over Skype this week. Skype interviews are awkward AF.

Had my UCSF/SFSU interview over Skype this week. Skype interviews are awkward AF.

That's nice of them to accommodate your schedule. Why was the interview awkward? was it because of the types of questions or the interviewer was just hard to read? Who did you interview with? How did you write the essay then?

That's nice of them to accommodate your schedule. Why was the interview awkward? was it because of the types of questions or the interviewer was just hard to read? Who did you interview with? How did you write the essay then?
The room I hid at (it was 4pm EST, so in the middle of a workday) was super echo-y, and there were a couple of times when the connection froze. Also, I find telephone/videophone interactions strained in general :D

I interviewed with Dr. Linda Noble-Haeusslein. She emailed me the essay question at 4pm on the dot, and expected a typed response by 4:15, after that she called me on Skype.
She had a list of questions and secondary questions that she read off of word by word, and it felt less like a conversation and more like an interrogation (but maybe that's normal?). I managed to answer all of her secondary questions in my main answer (without knowing about them), so she quickly ran out of questions to ask, hahaha. Felt really short. Like, really short. Like, maybe 4-5 questions and done in 20 minutes short. I expected to have to talk about things in my PTCAS application or essays, but nope. It was also my very first interview, and I wasn't very prepared. I said "um" a lot :D

The room I hid at (it was 4pm EST, so in the middle of a workday) was super echo-y, and there were a couple of times when the connection froze. Also, I find telephone/videophone interactions strained in general :D

I interviewed with Dr. Linda Noble-Haeusslein. She emailed me the essay question at 4pm on the dot, and expected a typed response by 4:15, after that she called me on Skype.
She had a list of questions and secondary questions that she read off of word by word, and it felt less like a conversation and more like an interrogation (but maybe that's normal?). I managed to answer all of her secondary questions in my main answer (without knowing about them), so she quickly ran out of questions to ask, hahaha. Felt really short. Like, really short. Like, maybe 4-5 questions and done in 20 minutes short. I expected to have to talk about things in my PTCAS application or essays, but nope. It was also my very first interview, and I wasn't very prepared. I said "um" a lot :D

I'm pretty sure you did well! was the essay topic pretty simple?

UPDATE

University: University of Hawaii at Manoa
Major: Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Science
PTCAS Cum. GPA: 3.52
PTCAS Pre-req GPA: 3.22 (3.2-3.3 depending on the school)
Last 60 GPA: 3.74

GRE:
Q-147, V-150, AW-4.5 (1st time)
Q-154, V-157, AW-5.0 (2nd time)

Observation Hours:
56 - pediatrics/children’s hospital
188 - inpatient rehab hospital
678 - private outpatient clinic (currently working as a PT Aide)

Extra-curriculars / Work Experience:
Currently working as a wellness trainer at a retirement home / SNF (teaching group exercise classes and conducting one to one training), Biomechanics/Aquatics Lab Research, Sports Fitness/Rehab Volunteer (worked with AT/CSCS), College Intern at my high school’s digital media program, student assistant on campus, Filipino Club

Applied: Azusa, Cal State Northridge, Mount St. Marys, University of the Pacific, West Coast, Western University, UNLV
Interviews: Azusa - 2017 class (2/3/16 - Skype), UNLV (1/22/16), Western University (still deciding on date)
Acceptances:
Wait-lists:
Rejections: UOP, CSUN

Last edited: