California DPT Schools 2020-2021 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! Non-California native here, and I was just wondering for those from in-state what the reputation of CSUN's program is? I'm on the fence about whether to apply but I don't really know a lot about the program/area beyond their website! Was also debating USC but they seem a bit pricey for me personally. Any help would be really appreciated!
 
Hi everyone! Non-California native here, and I was just wondering for those from in-state what the reputation of CSUN's program is? I'm on the fence about whether to apply but I don't really know a lot about the program/area beyond their website! Was also debating USC but they seem a bit pricey for me personally. Any help would be really appreciated!
Hi! I have heard that they are a pretty good school. But from what people say, they care more about numbers, good GPA and GRE scores than anything else.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing your stats? And when you applied?
I applied 11/3! Here are my stats:


University: California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly SLO)
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.62
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.6 (depending on the school)
GRE: 155 V 155 Q 5.5 AW

Extracurriculars/volunteer: Health assessment club, coached sports for people with disabilities, research assistant for 2 years (honors senior project for 2 quarters), humane society volunteer, CPA firm office assistant for 2 years, CPR certification

Honors: cum laude honors, dean's list (8 quarters), president's list (2 academic years), W & A Sandercock Scholarship, essay published in Cal Poly SLO's English textbook

Hours: Over 1600 hours (2 years) as an outpatient pt aide (no inpatient experience due to covid)

Also applying to (but haven't heard from yet): CSULB, Chapman, UCSF/SFSU, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Emory, UW, University of Colorado, Regis, and SDSU
 
I applied 11/3! Here are my stats:


University: California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly SLO)
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.62
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.6 (depending on the school)
GRE: 155 V 155 Q 5.5 AW

Extracurriculars/volunteer: Health assessment club, coached sports for people with disabilities, research assistant for 2 years (honors senior project for 2 quarters), humane society volunteer, CPA firm office assistant for 2 years, CPR certification

Honors: cum laude honors, dean's list (8 quarters), president's list (2 academic years), W & A Sandercock Scholarship, essay published in Cal Poly SLO's English textbook

Hours: Over 1600 hours (2 years) as an outpatient pt aide (no inpatient experience due to covid)

Also applying to (but haven't heard from yet): CSULB, Chapman, UCSF/SFSU, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Emory, UW, University of Colorado, Regis, and SDSU
hello fellow mustang! I also was accepted to USC's residential program the other day. Are you planning on accepting your offer?
 
hello fellow mustang! I also was accepted to USC's residential program the other day. Are you planning on accepting your offer?
No way! Hey haha! I’m not sure, it’s such a good school but it’s soooo expensive and I’m already in a ton of debt from undergrad :/
 
How long did your friend hear back for an acceptance since your friend's interview with Western? Do you know your friend's stats?
He said he interviewed Oct. 29th and got an acceptance email on Nov. 16th. Unfortunately, I do not know his stats, but he said that he is stilling waiting on the Pomona campus because he would go there instead.
 
Hi everyone! Non-California native here, and I was just wondering for those from in-state what the reputation of CSUN's program is? I'm on the fence about whether to apply but I don't really know a lot about the program/area beyond their website! Was also debating USC but they seem a bit pricey for me personally. Any help would be really appreciated!
My Alma mater! It’s a very reputable program in California, and probably the most competitive school in California. It’s very affordable and established, making it extremely competitive. Is it a good program? Yes. Is it easy to get into? Absolutely not.
 
He said he interviewed Oct. 29th and got an acceptance email on Nov. 16th. Unfortunately, I do not know his stats, but he said that he is stilling waiting on the Pomona campus because he would go there instead.
I agree. I believe I would prefer Pomona campus. Has he interviewed with the Pomona campus yet? I had an interview with Western Pomona campus recently. I really enjoyed their interview process and was able to get know the faculty, whom were really nice! But, I believe OR campus is a nice campus and surrounded by a close-knit rural community, which I like because traffic in California is just unbearable at times. The OR campus' faculty seem really nice as well.
 
Hi everyone! I applied to the following schools:
- Fresno State: No update
- Sac State: No update
- Long Beach State: No update
- CSUN: No update
- UOP: No update
- Azusa: 11/12 - notified by admissions that Jan 2021 was full, but rolling my app for consideration in Jan 2022.

Good luck to everyone!
 
I agree. I believe I would prefer Pomona campus. Has he interviewed with the Pomona campus yet? I had an interview with Western Pomona campus recently. I really enjoyed their interview process and was able to get know the faculty, whom were really nice! But, I believe OR campus is a nice campus and surrounded by a close-knit rural community, which I like because traffic in California is just unbearable at times. The OR campus' faculty seem really nice as well.
He has not heard from the Pomona campus yet. I recently interviewed for the Pomona campus and I really enjoyed it as well. The faculty was so welcoming and the students were as well.
 
He has not heard from the Pomona campus yet. I recently interviewed for the Pomona campus and I really enjoyed it as well. The faculty was so welcoming and the students were as well.
How did your interview go? I felt like my interview went okay. I found myself rambling too much LOL.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How did your interview go? I felt like my interview went okay. I found myself rambling too much LOL.
I think my went well (well I hope it did). I did get stumped on one question and was definitely rambling too much on that one! LOL
When was your interview?
 
I think my went well (well I hope it did). I did get stumped on one question and was definitely rambling too much on that one! LOL
When was your interview?
It was a few days ago. LOL I think mine went okay. Hopefully, enough to get in. My stats are above average and have pretty good LOR, well 2/3 of them I am confident are going to be really good. So, I am hoping it goes well.
 
Congrats! do you mind me asking what your stats are?
University: California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly SLO)
Major: Kinesiology (expected graduation June 2021)
Overall GPA: 3.37
Pre-Req GPA: 3.0-3.4 (depending on the school)
Science GPA: 2.94
GRE: 152 V 161 Q 4.0 AW

Extracurriculars/volunteer: Health assessment club, cultural club, cashier at froyo shop, research assistant, front desk assistant at a cardiologist office, adaptive sports team, CPR certification

Honors: dean's list (2 quarters)

Hours: 38 inpatient, ~440 outpatient (pt aide)

Applied (haven't heard back from yet): Chapman, Western, Mount Saint Mary's, Sacramento State
Accepted: USC (residential and hybrid), USA San Marcos

I originally wasn't planning on posting this because my stats are nowhere near as impressive compared to most, but I think it could serve as a reminder that numbers aren't everything and encourage people to pursue their passions!
 
Last edited:
University: California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly SLO)
Major: Kinesiology (expected graduation June 2021)
Overall GPA: 3.37
Pre-Req GPA: 3.0-3.4 (depending on the school)
Science GPA: 2.94
GRE: 152 V 161 Q 4.0 AW

Extracurriculars/volunteer: Health assessment club, cultural club, cashier at froyo shop, research assistant, front desk assistant at a cardiologist office, adaptive sports team, CPR certification

Honors: dean's list (2 quarters)

Hours: 38 inpatient, ~440 outpatient (pt aide)

Applied (haven't heard back from yet): Chapman, Western, Mount Saint Mary's, Sacramento State
Accepted: USC (residential and hybrid), USA San Marcos

I originally wasn't planning on posting this because my stats are nowhere near as impressive compared to most, but I think it could serve as a reminder that numbers aren't everything and encourage people to pursue their passions!
thank you for sharing! this! it actually gave me so much hope, since I have similar stats! when did you apply? (sorry for so many questions)
 
University: California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly SLO)
Major: Kinesiology (expected graduation June 2021)
Overall GPA: 3.37
Pre-Req GPA: 3.0-3.4 (depending on the school)
Science GPA: 2.94
GRE: 152 V 161 Q 4.0 AW

Extracurriculars/volunteer: Health assessment club, cultural club, cashier at froyo shop, research assistant, front desk assistant at a cardiologist office, adaptive sports team, CPR certification

Honors: dean's list (2 quarters)

Hours: 38 inpatient, ~440 outpatient (pt aide)

Applied (haven't heard back from yet): Chapman, Western, Mount Saint Mary's, Sacramento State
Accepted: USC (residential and hybrid), USA San Marcos

I originally wasn't planning on posting this because my stats are nowhere near as impressive compared to most, but I think it could serve as a reminder that numbers aren't everything and encourage people to pursue their passions!
Have you heard back from Western University for any news (ie acceptance, waitlist, interview date, etc)?
 
Hi everyone,

I have an interview coming up for Loma Linda University. I was wondering if there is anyone who can share their experiences with their interview process? What are some questions they ask? I know some schools do not even ask Why PT or Why attend this university.

I truly appreciate it. Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so idk if this is worth mentioning, but Cal State Fresno just notified me that I have been accepted for an interview. Are there any tips specifically for this school that you guys know of?
 
I'm waiting until Monday cause holiday. I'm sure admissions doesn't want hundreds of applicants asking their status on thanksgiving haha
I know someone who just got their acceptance to Western Pomona today. So hopefully they send it out within the next few days!
 
Okay so idk if this is worth mentioning, but Cal State Fresno just notified me that I have been accepted for an interview. Are there any tips specifically for this school that you guys know of?
Congrats! I got an interview too! But I don't know of any interview tips for this school.
 
I applied 11/3! Here are my stats:


University: California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly SLO)
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.62
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.6 (depending on the school)
GRE: 155 V 155 Q 5.5 AW

Extracurriculars/volunteer: Health assessment club, coached sports for people with disabilities, research assistant for 2 years (honors senior project for 2 quarters), humane society volunteer, CPA firm office assistant for 2 years, CPR certification

Honors: cum laude honors, dean's list (8 quarters), president's list (2 academic years), W & A Sandercock Scholarship, essay published in Cal Poly SLO's English textbook

Hours: Over 1600 hours (2 years) as an outpatient pt aide (no inpatient experience due to covid)

Also applying to (but haven't heard from yet): CSULB, Chapman, UCSF/SFSU, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Emory, UW, University of Colorado, Regis, and SDSU
Update: I got an interview for UCSF!
 
To those who have been accepted to Loma Linda University, how long did you guys wait until you received an acceptance?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad