California DPT Schools 2021-2022 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got the CSUF e-mail as well! It does not say much on the interview process. Do you think it's a group interview via zoom?
Was wondering that also. actually have been going through old threads about Fresno and it seems like its a pretty straight forward interview. A lot of of the 2017 ones say its a group interview but dont know if that is still the case.

UPDATE: Yes it is still a group interview. Just asked.
 
Last edited:
I haven't yet! I've run into many tech problems with my PC this last week so I'm focusing on fixing it up so I can do my interview in the comfort of my home. I've done several KIRA assessments already, I'm sure it will be similar to those. "Why PT?" "Give us a time you struggled" That kind of stuff.
Ah, ok, best of luck if you haven't taken it! I just finished mine. It didn't take more than 5 minutes to do the full interview, but the questions were a little different than I was expecting, so that threw me off just a little bit, haha. Hoping it was all good!
 
Just got an e-mail from Fresno State. The interview day is January 29th!
I haven't heard from Western. maybe its because i havent completed the Casper assingment.
That CASPer assignment is a joke to WesternU. I thought it was important, and I took it confidently only to know that I’ll never know my score. It’s a joke though, just another way for them to make money through a 3rd party site.

Just my opinion though and I’m basing it on the fact that during my interview with the professors there, I asked them all how they would take the CASPer into consideration. Their responses were all the same, “We don’t, we just want to see that the person completed it.” Like really? So I paid money to take a test that is pretty much you pass if you take it. I just thought that was horrible
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That CASPer assignment is a joke to WesternU. I thought it was important, and I took it confidently only to know that I’ll never know my score. It’s a joke though, just another way for them to make money through a 3rd party site.

Just my opinion though and I’m basing it on the fact that during my interview with the professors there, I asked them all how they would take the CASPer into consideration. Their responses were all the same, “We don’t, we just want to see that the person completed it.” Like really? So I paid money to take a test that is pretty much you pass if you take it. I just thought that was horrible
Good to know actually. I applied a couple of years ago when it was still GRE, ended up getting in but covid had just started and i didnt want to pay to go virtual. But yeah after when i talked to an advisor they were saying how they are no longer considering GRE and were talking about CASPer like the next big thing so you would think they would consider it. Good to know though because i do not feel like studying for it. I mean i will look over it obviously but I am not losing sleep over it
 
Thanks for letting me know! Hoping to hear from them soon. May I ask your stats?
Pre-req GPA -- not sure (I had all A's and one A-)
Overall GPA -- 3.98
GRE scores (pretty low) Q-152, V-146, Writing - 4.0
~ 500 hours in 4 settings
extracurriculars -- research, community service, clubs (no leadership position)
 
If it means anything, I know people who applied last year to WesternU and didn't get an interview invite until Feb-Mar time frame, and if I remember correctly, they interviewed until the end of April too. When I applied to them last year, I beat the hard deadline by 2 weeks and I got an email for an interview invite in December.

What I've learned about WesternU is that they are horrible with communication lol I decided to withdrawal my application (got waitlisted in Jan 2021 and never heard from them until Sep 2021, after school had already started).
 
Thanks for letting me know! Hoping to hear from them soon. May I ask your stats?
I am new to this forum, I'm not sure if my stats got posted. So there they are again:
3.98 overall gpa
Prereq GPA (Idk I had all A's and one A-)
Gre: 152Q and 146V and 4.0 on writing
about 500 hours in a couple different sites
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah, ok, best of luck if you haven't taken it! I just finished mine. It didn't take more than 5 minutes to do the full interview, but the questions were a little different than I was expecting, so that threw me off just a little bit, haha. Hoping it was all good!
Can you speak on the questions a bit more? Were they ethical questions or how were they different from the norm?
 
Hey
Just a heads up for anyone who applied to Sac State...I heard from an aide that I work with, that they had so many applicants that the GPA that they mainly looked at is a 4.0 only. That doesn't mean those who don't have that won't get looked at, he just so happened to walk by there and asked and because he knows someone there, that's what he was told.

This is my 2nd year applying, to those that are doing it your first time and are anxious, my best advice is to hope for the best, prepare for the worse. What really set me back from my first year were my hours (I had zero due to COVID), and didn't help that I only applied to 1 school haha. I got waitlisted by WesternU, and after awhile I just knew I wasn't going to get in. I got a job as a PT aide, I have over 100 hours now and will have about 500-600 more by the summer. Using my military connections to possibly get inpatient hours in as well. This time around, I applied to Samuel Merritt (cheaper than WesternU), and maybe thinking about a couple of hybrid ones that are still open. If I'd known that SFSU was going to not make the GRE mandatory this time around, I would've applied to them as well.

Just know that if you don't get in, it's not the end of the world, and it just gives you more chances to find ways to improve yourself. I know I should take the GRE, but I'm just so against taking a test that has nothing to do with the field and it looks like schools are slowly turning away from it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an interview invite from WesternU, anyone know how that interview is and how long it is?
Hey! So I was told that we were the first group they were interviewing. It was like an interview day. It was on zoom at lasted about 2.5 hours. It started off with a welcome to the school, the chair presented information about the school. Then we were placed in either an interview breakout room or a writing room. The interview was about 20 minutes—the questions weren’t bad. A couple of describe a time when xyz. Once they ask you questions, if there’s times left then you can ask them questions. Right when the 20 mins or so are up, you’re moved to the writing breakout room (or whichever one you didn’t go to) and are given a prompt & told to write an essay in 15 minutes. The prompt was fairly easy. Then at the end there’s a F&Q session & that’s it!
 
Same here! Congrats to you!! It’s too bad they’re not doing in person interviews tho. Was looking forward to visiting and seeing what it looks like🙁
Do you know if they send denial emails? Or just interview acceptance ones? I have not got an email yet so I am a little bummed :/. Congrats to you!
 
Do you know if they send denial emails? Or just interview acceptance ones? I have not got an email yet so I am a little bummed :/. Congrats to you!
I know they will be making calls. I was first placed as an alternative and two hours later was admitted because someone turned down the seat. This was a couple days ago tho.
 
Can someone speak about the Northridge interview on Kira. What kind of questions did they ask? More behavioral questions or general?
 
Ah, ok, best of luck if you haven't taken it! I just finished mine. It didn't take more than 5 minutes to do the full interview, but the questions were a little different than I was expecting, so that threw me off just a little bit, haha. Hoping it was all good!
I agree, that was different than the others I had done! Super short and not really about PT haha. I think I did well despite that!

I do feel it won't impact the overall acceptance/waitlist much as CSUN still is going to be handling it ultimately by a math equation. This interview will put you one or two points in a direction though I'm sure, but nothing too impactful.
 
I agree, that was different than the others I had done! Super short and not really about PT haha. I think I did well despite that!

I do feel it won't impact the overall acceptance/waitlist much as CSUN still is going to be handling it ultimately by a math equation. This interview will put you one or two points in a direction though I'm sure, but nothing too impactful.
What do you mean by “math equation”?
 
There is no committee who decides on who is let into the program. Your application is compressed into an algorithm that spits out the list of applicants/waitlist. That is why CSUN does not require the PTCAS biography essay.

Each of your application categories would be worth some sort of numeral. So lets say you have a 3.5 cGPA, 3.7 pGPA, 150/150/4.0 GRE, 200 Observation Hours, some relevant experience, and you did well on the KIRA interview. Lets say they use a scale of 10 for each one, that would equal (5 + 7 + 3 + 7 + 5 + 2) respectively. So you would get spit out as a 29. It's obviously a lot more sophisticated than that, but that is the gist of it.
 
Got an interview email today for West Coast University in jan!
My stats arent the greatest so I am excited! Anxiously awaiting the rest
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad