California DPT Schools 2021-2022 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalcaneusLongus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Colleagues!

This is my first time applying for my DPT and I was looking forward to participating in our California 2021-22 cycle thread, but no one has made one yet!

Let's use this thread to post our application stats, our questions, schools we are looking into, and updates on acceptances/interviews/rejections/waitlists!

For reference, in California I applied to CSULB, CSUN, CSAC, CSUF, and LLU. I submitted in mid September. I applied to several out of state schools, but for the interest of keeping the thread focused, let's try to stick to California schools!

I look forward to going through this exciting time with you all.

So without further ado:
How is everyone doing this Fall? Where have you applied?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for making this!

I'm doing OK, finally done with applications so it's just the waiting game now! I applied to just CA: most of the CSUs and a couple private schools.

- pGPA: 3.5-3.8, depending on school
- cumulative GPA: 3.4
- GRE: 168V, 158Q, 5W
- 4 letters of rec
- 350+ observation hours in 3 settings (currently working as an aide)
- 2 years at a student job, volunteering in a children's hospital, and tons of volunteering with multiple nonprofit organizations

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for making this!

I'm doing OK, finally done with applications so it's just the waiting game now!
Glad you could join! I feel the same way, it's a huge weight off now that everything is sent in. I'm just starting my senior year at my undergrad so the applications were a lot on top of going back to in-person learning.

As far as waiting, the only interview I've had is with an out-of-state school that has rolling admissions. Do you know when/if the CSUs are doing interviews?

Honestly, you have great stats. Your cumulative GPA/GRE are the only thing missing here, but with your experience I'm sure you'll into some schools. Were you able get any in-patient observation?

I'll add my stats:
  • cGPA: 3.46 pGPA: 4.0
  • GRE: 158 Verb/156 Quant/4.0 Writing
  • 3 Letters of Rec (2 PT/1 Prof)
  • 150+ Outpatient Observation Hours in 2 settings (Currently a volunteer in a county hospital PT clinic)
  • 4 years experience as a licensed Massage Therapist, 2000+ employed hours, now self-employed
Accepted: CSUN, Sac State, CSU Fresno, Rutgers, UNLV, NAU, Mercer
Waitlisted: UNMC
Rejected: CSULB

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know when/if the CSUs are doing interviews?
I'm not sure but I think they wait until January or later for interviews. I think they all interview? But I'm not 100%

Honestly, you have great stats. Your cumulative GPA/GRE are the only thing missing here, but with your experience I'm sure you'll into some schools. Were you able get any in-patient observation?
Thanks! And I forgot about GRE -- I'll go edit it in. Though I heard from the Sac State admissions counselor that they only care if you hit the minimum..... if you score higher they apparently don't give you extra points :(. Not sure about other schools.

I was super lucky because I was able to get inpatient observation RIGHT before COVID. Super cool, and it actually got cut short because COVID took over everything. I really want to explore it again. Most of my hours are in outpatient orthopedics but my inpatient experience has still been the most impactful personally.

Good luck!! Your stats look great too, the experience of being a massage therapist seems like it would be really useful!

Hi y'all :) Thanks for making this! Here are my stats:

- cumulative GPA: 3.3
- last 60/90 units: 3.61
- prereq GPA: 3.4-3.5
- GRE: 159 Q, 153 V, 4.0 AW
- 4 letters of rec
- 1400 outpatient hrs from 3 different settings (2 hospitals, 1 private practice), 4 inpatient hrs (couldn't continue due to covid)
- a lot of extracurriculars (peer mentor, mental health board, undergrad TA, anatomy lab aide, research assistant)

applied to: ucsf/sfsu, samuel merritt, csulb, university of pacific, western university, university of st augustine @ san marcos
accepted: university of st augustine @ san marcos for summer 2022 cohort (9/29), samuel merritt (12/16)

I'm soooo relieved and grateful to have gotten accepted so early in the process, considering my GPAs are pretty low! Now I'm just waiting to hear back from other schools which will be in a couple months LOL. Good luck to everyone who is reading this!! Honestly, the hardest part during this whole process was believing in myself. There's so much anxiety and uncertainty but remember to not be hard on yourself and celebrate both your strengths and weaknesses!!

Last edited:
So glad to see this thread! Thanks for posting, and good luck to everyone!

Here are my stats:
(non-traditional, older applicant, changing careers)
-cGPA: 3.73
-pGPA: 3.96
-GRE scores: 165 V, 157 Q, 4.0 AW
-3 letters of rec: one PT, one academic, one work-related
-90ish observation hours (lower due to COVID)
-many years of work background and extra curriculars

applied to: Cal State Northridge, Cal State Long Beach, USC Hybrid, USC traditional, West Coast University, University of St. Augustine San Marcos flex program, Mount St. Mary's
application date: early October
accepted: none so far
rejected: none so far

I'm very nervous, since I will be an older applicant and am super non-traditional, but I'm hoping for the best!

Last edited:
Just a heads up for anyone who applied to Sac State...I heard from an aide that I work with, that they had so many applicants that the GPA that they mainly looked at is a 4.0 only. That doesn't mean those who don't have that won't get looked at, he just so happened to walk by there and asked and because he knows someone there, that's what he was told.

This is my 2nd year applying, to those that are doing it your first time and are anxious, my best advice is to hope for the best, prepare for the worse. What really set me back from my first year were my hours (I had zero due to COVID), and didn't help that I only applied to 1 school haha. I got waitlisted by WesternU, and after awhile I just knew I wasn't going to get in. I got a job as a PT aide, I have over 100 hours now and will have about 500-600 more by the summer. Using my military connections to possibly get inpatient hours in as well. This time around, I applied to Samuel Merritt (cheaper than WesternU), and maybe thinking about a couple of hybrid ones that are still open. If I'd known that SFSU was going to not make the GRE mandatory this time around, I would've applied to them as well.

Just know that if you don't get in, it's not the end of the world, and it just gives you more chances to find ways to improve yourself. I know I should take the GRE, but I'm just so against taking a test that has nothing to do with the field and it looks like schools are slowly turning away from it.

Just a heads up for anyone who applied to Sac State...I heard from an aide that I work with, that they had so many applicants that the GPA that they mainly looked at is a 4.0 only. That doesn't mean those who don't have that won't get looked at, he just so happened to walk by there and asked and because he knows someone there, that's what he was told.

I'm not suprised. I went to one of their webinars and the accepted average GPA last year was 3.9. i think they're probably the most competitive CA dpt school

That's crazy to me that physical therapy programs can be as competitive as medical schools. I suppose it really is just because of the affordable costs for those public schools. We're all desperately trying to not go six figures in debt for this education.

On a brighter note, this week I started receiving notifications about KIRA virtual interviews from several different schools. CSUN even announced that they will be holding one, to promote a more "holistic" application process.

Hi all! This is my second time applying to DPT programs. I applied back in 2017, but didn’t get into any programs. I’ve been a stay-at-home mom for several years, but I’m finally in a position where I can go back to school. I only applied to CSUN this cycle and two other non-California schools. I was waitlisted the last time I applied to CSUN. Anyways, these are my stats:

*cGPA: 3.51
*pGPA: 3.70
*GRE: v158, q148, and w4

*Related Work Experience/Observation Hrs: 2,300+ hrs (15 hrs from inpatient and 266 hrs outpatient completed before becoming a PT Tech)

*volunteer work: 800+ hrs

*2 recommendation letters from PTs and 1 from a professor

Last edited:
Hi all! This is my second time applying to DPT programs. I applied back in 2017, but didn’t get into any programs. I’ve been a stay-at-home mom for several years, but I’m finally in a position where I can go back to school. I only applied to CSUN this cycle and two other non-California schools. I was waitlisted the last time I applied to CSUN. Anyways, these are my stats:

*cGPA: 3.51
*pGPA: 3.70
*GRE: v158, q148, and w4

*Observation/Work Experience: 2,300+ hrs (15 hrs from inpatient)

*volunteer work: 800+ hrs

*2 recommendation letters from PTs and 1 from a professor
Oh wow, congrats on applying again! I'm a mom too, and it seems like it's going to be a tough transition, but you can do it!

Out of curiosity, where did you apply before? I am really nervous that I won't get in anywhere locally, and it's really difficult to get ahold of anyone at CSUN to get any questions answered.

Good luck this time around!

Hi! I have received an interview invite for University of St. Augustine. I was wondering if you could share your experience with the interview process? If you wouldn't mind sharing the interview environment and also relating on how long it took to receive an acceptance email after interviewing? Thank you so much!
Hi y'all :) Thanks for making this! Here are my stats:

- cumulative GPA: 3.3
- last 60/90 units: 3.61
- prereq GPA: 3.4-3.5
- GRE: 159 Q, 153 V, 4.0 AW
- 4 letters of rec
- 1400 outpatient hrs from 3 different settings (2 hospitals, 1 private practice), 4 inpatient hrs (couldn't continue due to covid)
- a lot of extracurriculars (peer mentor, mental health board, undergrad TA, anatomy lab aide, research assistant)

applied to: ucsf/sfsu, samuel merritt, csulb, university of pacific, western university, university of st augustine @ san marcos
accepted: university of st augustine @ san marcos for summer 2022 cohort!! (9/29)

I'm soooo relieved and grateful to have gotten accepted so early in the process, considering my GPAs are pretty low! Now I'm just waiting to hear back from other schools which will be in a couple months LOL. Good luck to everyone who is reading this!! Honestly, the hardest part during this whole process was believing in myself. There's so much anxiety and uncertainty but remember to not be hard on yourself and celebrate both your strengths and weaknesses!!

Hi! I have received an interview invite for University of St. Augustine. I was wondering if you could share your experience with the interview process? If you wouldn't mind sharing the interview environment and also relating on how long it took to receive an acceptance email after interviewing? Thank you so much!
Hi!! Congrats on the interview ☺️ For me, I actually didn’t have to interview! Sorry I wish I could help :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Super easy and super laid back. I would not worry about this interview at all, there isn't any trick questions. Just be yourself, be honest, and you will get it. With U of SA, if you get an interview like 90% of the time if not higher you will get it. They have 3 cohorts a year and very big class per cohort so even if you dont get in for the one you applied for they will most likely offer you admission for a later cohort.

Oh wow, congrats on applying again! I'm a mom too, and it seems like it's going to be a tough transition, but you can do it!

Out of curiosity, where did you apply before? I am really nervous that I won't get in anywhere locally, and it's really difficult to get ahold of anyone at CSUN to get any questions answered.

Good luck this time around!
Thank you! I feel so old compared to all these young people applying to DPT programs. My brain is being pulled in so many different directions as a mom, so I know that PT school is going to be a tough transition for sure. That’s why I’m applying to CSUN and it’s my #1 choice. I have family that live pretty close to LA so I’ll have lots of help with childcare. I applied to a few universities back in 2016/2017: CSUN, ISU, George Fox, and NAU. I was waitlisted at CSUN and ISU, but didn’t end up getting in.

What do your stats look like? When I applied the last time, I had about 1,000 less hours of work experience/observation hours. I was actually surprised that I was waitlisted in the 60s. I’d try emailing CSUN’s DPT department. They are usually pretty good at returning emails within a few days or so. At least that’s been my experience.

Last edited:
Super easy and super laid back. I would not worry about this interview at all, there isn't any trick questions. Just be yourself, be honest, and you will get it. With U of SA, if you get an interview like 90% of the time if not higher you will get it. They have 3 cohorts a year and very big class per cohort so even if you dont get in for the one you applied for they will most likely offer you admission for a later cohort.
Thank you so much! This was extremely helpful information and definitely helped calm my nerves.

Hi guys. Has anyone heard back from Chapman at this point in the application process? I was just invited for an online assessment as a new addition to their application this year. Has anyone else received this or heard back from their Summer 2022 app?

Any news from any of the local schools? None of therm have really gotten back to me yet...

What are your stats if I may ask?
Yeah! Well this is my third year applying.
Cumulative GPA: 3.473
Prereq GPA: 3.43
I have over 3,000 hours of volunteer/working as an aide.
Schools I applied to: west coast, western, CSULB, University of St. Augustine, Mount st Mary’s, Kansas university, Des Moines university, Montana university, APU, UOP, and Chapman.

Accepted into University of St. Augustine

Yeah! Well this is my third year applying.
Cumulative GPA: 3.473
Prereq GPA: 3.43
I have over 3,000 hours of volunteer/working as an aide.
Schools I applied to: west coast, western, CSULB, University of St. Augustine, Mount st Mary’s, Kansas university, Des Moines university, Montana university, APU, UOP, and Chapman.

Accepted into University of St. Augustine
Nice! We have similar stats, this is my second year applying. Over 3000 hours as well too 😅 best of luck!!

CSUN emailed me today informing me that I will receive a KIRA interview invite in the coming week! Check your spam folders!

CSUN emailed me today informing me that I will receive a KIRA interview invite in the coming week! Check your spam folders!
Congrats! I did not apply there, but just curious. what are your stats and where else did you apply?

Congrats! I did not apply there, but just curious. what are your stats and where else did you apply?
Thanks! I listed more detailed stats above in this thread.
But here's the short:
3.43 Cumulative
4.0 Pre-Req
158/152/4.0

I applied to four CSUs and 6 out of state schools.

What about you?

Me too! Best of luck!
I’m hoping I get an email from CSUN for an interview next week. I submitted my application on September 27th and it was verified on October 1st. Maybe they are just going through applications in the order they were received . . . :/

i havent heard back from anyone either.... the waiting is stressful!

Thanks! I listed more detailed stats above in this thread.
But here's the short:
3.43 Cumulative
4.0 Pre-Req
158/152/4.0

I applied to four CSUs and 6 out of state schools.

What about you?
Stats

3.48 Cumulative
3.67 Pre req
152 (math)/151/4.0

applied to CSU Fresno, Sac State, UCSF, western, George Fox.

Was thinking of applying to West Coast University in LA and maybe AT Still in AZ. I originally was going to apply to 3 schools which are the CSUs that I listed but then changed my mind so i couldnt apply to some that i wanted. Hoping to get some good news soon

I’m hoping I get an email from CSUN for an interview next week. I submitted my application on September 27th and it was verified on October 1st. Maybe they are just going through applications in the order they were received . . . :/
I applied on Sept. 29th, I believe, but they could be going in a very random order? They told me they don't even look at any applications until after October 1st. Good luck. Hope you hear back soon!

Thank you! I feel so old compared to all these young people applying to DPT programs. My brain is being pulled in so many different directions as a mom, so I know that PT school is going to be a tough transition for sure. That’s why I’m applying to CSUN and it’s my #1 choice. I have family that live pretty close to LA so I’ll have lots of help with childcare. I applied to a few universities back in 2016/2017: CSUN, ISU, George Fox, and NAU. I was waitlisted at CSUN and ISU, but didn’t end up getting in.

What do your stats look like? When I applied the last time, I had about 1,000 less hours of work experience/observation hours. I was actually surprised that I was waitlisted in the 60s. I’d try emailing CSUN’s DPT department. They are usually pretty good at returning emails within a few days or so. At least that’s been my experience.
Whoops, I didn't see your reply until just now! That's amazing that you are so focused determined! I am sure it will pay off this time around. Have you heard anything back yet?

Here are my stats:
-cGPA: 3.73
-pGPA: 3.96-4.0, depending on how they calculate it
-GRE scores: 165 V, 157 Q, 4.0 AW
-3 letters of rec: one PT, one academic, one work-related
-90ish observation hours (low due to COVID. Hoping they will understand?)
-many years of work background and extra curriculars

It's so much harder figuring out how the logistics will work with the kids, but I am really hoping it will all sort itself out!

Did you complete the interview yet? I am so curious which questions they will ask!
I haven't yet! I've run into many tech problems with my PC this last week so I'm focusing on fixing it up so I can do my interview in the comfort of my home. I've done several KIRA assessments already, I'm sure it will be similar to those. "Why PT?" "Give us a time you struggled" That kind of stuff.

Dear Colleagues!

This is my first time applying for my DPT and I was looking forward to participating in our California 2021-22 cycle thread, but no one has made one yet!

Let's use this thread to post our application stats, our questions, schools we are looking into, and updates on acceptances/interviews/rejections/waitlists!

For reference, in California I applied to CSULB, CSUN, CSAC, CSUF, and LLU. I submitted in mid September. I applied to several out of state schools, but for the interest of keeping the thread focused, let's try to stick to California schools!

I look forward to going through this exciting time with you all.

So without further ado:
How is everyone doing this Fall? Where have you applied?
Hi!

I also applied to the CSU schools. Has anyone completed the interview for Northridge. It's through a different platform that I am not familiar with. I got an interview with LLU and Western Uni.

Hi!

I also applied to the CSU schools. Has anyone completed the interview for Northridge. It's through a different platform that I am not familiar with. I got an interview with LLU and Western Uni.
Hi! May I ask when you applied to western? And when you got the interview invite?

I haven't yet! I've run into many tech problems with my PC this last week so I'm focusing on fixing it up so I can do my interview in the comfort of my home. I've done several KIRA assessments already, I'm sure it will be similar to those. "Why PT?" "Give us a time you struggled" That kind of stuff.

Hi! May I ask when you applied to western? And when you got the interview invite?
I applied to Western just days before the deadline, not sure exactly when but it was a day or two before the hard deadline. I got invited about 10 days ago for an interview, but my friend only got the invite this morning. Both of our interviews are on the same "interview day" which is December 1st.

I applied to Western just days before the deadline, not sure exactly when but it was a day or two before the hard deadline. I got invited about 10 days ago for an interview, but my friend only got the invite this morning. Both of our interviews are on the same "interview day" which is December 1st.
Thanks for letting me know! Hoping to hear from them soon. May I ask your stats?

If it means anything, I know people who applied last year to WesternU and didn't get an interview invite until Feb-Mar time frame, and if I remember correctly, they interviewed until the end of April too. When I applied to them last year, I beat the hard deadline by 2 weeks and I got an email for an interview invite in December.

What I've learned about WesternU is that they are horrible with communication lol I decided to withdrawal my application (got waitlisted in Jan 2021 and never heard from them until Sep 2021, after school had already started).

Just got an e-mail from Fresno State. The interview day is January 29th!
I haven't heard from Western. maybe its because i havent completed the Casper assingment.

If it means anything, I know people who applied last year to WesternU and didn't get an interview invite until Feb-Mar time frame, and if I remember correctly, they interviewed until the end of April too. When I applied to them last year, I beat the hard deadline by 2 weeks and I got an email for an interview invite in December.

What I've learned about WesternU is that they are horrible with communication lol I decided to withdrawal my application (got waitlisted in Jan 2021 and never heard from them until Sep 2021, after school had already started).
Thanks for letting me know! Yes it’s tough to get ahold of someone, I have countless emails that have never been replied to.

Just got an e-mail from Fresno State. The interview day is January 29th!
I haven't heard from Western. maybe its because i havent completed the Casper assingment.
I got the CSUF e-mail as well! It does not say much on the interview process. Do you think it's a group interview via zoom?