California license for internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CernerDrone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I notice a lot of my classmates having to send in paperwork for a temporary training license for intern year. I will be in CA but I have not been told to submit any paperwork, etc. Am I missing something here? Should I be doing something similar to get a license to be an intern?

Members don't see this ad.

I notice a lot of my classmates having to send in paperwork for a temporary training license for intern year. I will be in CA but I have not been told to submit any paperwork, etc. Am I missing something here? Should I be doing something similar to get a license to be an intern?

Medical licenses are not issued until at least one year of post-graduate training is completed (for IMGs, this is 2 years I believe). Most people apply in their second year close to their birthday, as the license is good 2 years from the applicant's birth month. There is no need for a provisional license for the intern year.

The above is not entirely accurate.

Since most states require at least 1 year of GME before allowing you to apply for a full and unrestricted license (which requires passing Step 3), you may be issued an institutional license or be asked to apply for a state training license. In 2007, the California Medical Board proposed issuing temporary training licenses to those without the full and unrestricted license. This would be following the example of many other states which issue these. To date, I can find no information on the Ca med board site that the proposal has passed and is in effect.

Your program should inform you about what you need to do.

I don't know what the inaccurate portion of the my post was. The proposed temporary licensing requirement has not passed here in California and as it currently stands no provisional licensing is required during the first year. Working at an academic medical center in California, we have not warned any incoming housestaff of any need to apply to the medical board, as they are currently covered under our institutional license. I could also find no mention of the proposed provisional licensing requirement on the medical board website. Given no one knows if and when it will pass, I don't think it is particularly relevant to the OP.

From the medical board of CA:

Requirements for licensure

I don't know what the inaccurate portion of the my post was. The proposed temporary licensing requirement has not passed here in California and as it currently stands no provisional licensing is required during the first year. Working at an academic medical center in California, we have not warned any incoming housestaff of any need to apply to the medical board, as they are currently covered under our institutional license. I could also find no mention of the proposed provisional licensing requirement on the medical board website. Given no one knows if and when it will pass, I don't think it is particularly relevant to the OP.

From the medical board of CA:

Requirements for licensure

Because it implied that these requirements were the same everywhere and that she didn't need a license. The OP stated that her friends in other states had temp licenses and I felt that because you didn't mention that the situation was specifically different in California, it came across as implying that the licensing situation was the same elsewhere. Nor did you mention that she will be given an institutional license; your post made it sound like she didn't need a license at all, IMHO.

So, you're right...perhaps not inaccurate, but at least to me, unclear. There is no discussion of the provisional license on the Cal Med Board site because as I mentioned above, it is only a proposal. You can find it in the Board's Meeting minutes from 2007. I commented on it because it may very well change for the OP during her residency time in California, although obviously won't impact her now.

Hold off until you start internship (unless you are specifically told to start the process before you arrive). Some programs will reimburse you for your costs.

-AT.

Obviously its a state by state process. Oklahoma requires you to pay $200 and get a "training license" before residency starts that is later converted to a full/unrestricted license after you pass Step III and complete PGY1 year.

Sorry to threadjack, but I have a question about this.

My medical license application requires me to get a notary public for a physical exam, picture attachment, as well as a statement verifying that I am who I say that I am.

I dont understand the physical exam part. Its got a separate notary area just for that. Does that mean I have to take a notary to the doctor's appointment? I dont get how that is supposed to work. Or do I just get my doc to sign it and then take it later over to a notary? What is it that a notary actually does? Just watch you sign something and then stamp it saying they witnessed you sign it? I dont understand the purpose of a notary.

Also I failed step 2 cs (waiting for the retake to come back). On the application, it asks if you have ever failed any part of the steps, so I marked YES on it. The application says that all YES responses "must be explained by a sworn affidavit." I dont understand what this means. There are no affidavit forms on the website or in the application for this. What exactly is a sworn affidavit? A statement that I failed CS and retook it or what? Is this another notary public document?

I'm starting in California, and there's a Postgraduate Training Registration Form that needs to be sent to the Medical Board. As far as I know, that's all that's required for now.