California license renewal fee waiver for active duty military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beautifulrobot

Opinions are my own
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with requesting a waiver for renewal fees while on active duty status? The CA Dept of Consumer Affairs uses weird language about who qualifies for the fee waiver. They say military personnel who are "called to active duty" are eligible for the waiver when I think they actually mean folks who are deployed (see language below). They also aren't specific about the documentation they require to qualify for the waiver. Anyone have any insight or more information than what's on the DCA website?

Beginning January 1, 2013, boards and bureaus under the Department of Consumer Affairs must waive renewal requirements for military personnel when they are called to active duty. Renewal requirements waived for military personnel called to active duty include renewal fees, continuing education requirements, and any other requirements as determined by the program.

To qualify for a waiver, the licensee/registrant must:

• Possess a current and valid license when called to active duty; and
  • Provide written documentation that substantiates the licensee’s/registrant’s call to active duty.
"Called to active duty" includes licensees in all branches of the military who, on a temporary basis, travel to remote locations to engage in activity relating to a war, national emergency, or other military operation.

Renewal requirements are only waived for the period of time the licensee/registrant is serving in the temporary assignment at the remote location, and the licensee/registrant must notify his or her licensing board or bureau of receipt of a notice of discharge date within 60 days of receiving such a notice.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, you're actually qualified under USPHS but read the However. You'll have to a photcopy of your CAC card as part of the process if I remember correctly. HOWEVER, you may not use the license outside the government (so, if you were working at Mather and then at Walgreens in Sacramento, you would still pay the fee even while uniformed). We've had situations in VA about this, so you might as well just pay the fee and have the requirements in place. It's basically in place for those called to service and can't meet the requirements in time (which for pharmacy should not be a problem even in active service).

Doesn't HHS reimburse for license fees anymore? (Update: They still do, just not for USPHS officers).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the info. Usually sending a copy of one's SCRA record does the trick with these things, but I'll add a photocopy of my CAC for good measure (it's not illegal to photocopy it as long as it's for another government agency's use, right?). I noticed that bit about private practice, which isn't really a deterrent at the moment since I don't live in California these days. It seems worth it, especially considering how the CA license renewal fee went up from $207 to $372 in just two years. If they're going to hike up the cost that much the least they could do is reinvest some of that money into an IT system that lets me renew my license online. My millennial attention span can barely deal with this whole having to write out a physical check and find a physical stamp and find a physical mailbox and wait several weeks for confirmation that they received my money and processed my renewal application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to followup for the benefit of other active duty pharmacists - I mailed a copy of my current orders, as well as a copy of my SCRA record for good measure, along with my renewal application, and that did the trick. No need to include a photocopy of your CAC.

Did you know AMEX waives it's annual fee for active duty personnel which includes USPHS and NOAA. I just found out last week so I'm getting the AMEX Platinum card. You get lounge access, $200 airline credit, $200 uber credit, TSA Precheck or Global Access credit, plus a host of other benefits.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I had my fees waived as well in CA. And yes I have two amex platinums, one Citi prestige, one Delta reserve, and one chase sapphire reserve. Scra is awesome. I also get 15 percent off my auto insurance. So many perks to save money.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using SDN mobile

Be careful with this. In the Navy at least, a restricted license like this (only able to use in government facilities) would result in privileges being taken away. You HAVE to have at least one unrestricted license. Most of the fee waivers only apply if you do not practice outside of the Military Treatment Facility. I’ve seen some providers burnt by this in the past.

Depends on the state. Florida lists language similar to this, but I did not see anything in CA about it.

@DondeEstaElBano, that's a good point to consider. I'm not sure what USPHS policy is about this. It would be nice to know, but either way, I continue to maintain unrestricted licenses in other states as well, and don't depend on my CA RPh license for credentialing/privileges.

@DondeEstaElBano, that's a good point to consider. I'm not sure what USPHS policy is about this. It would be nice to know, but either way, I continue to maintain unrestricted licenses in other states as well, and don't depend on my CA RPh license for credentialing/privileges.
I actually emailed the CA bop before renewing and they said USPHS qualifies.