1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Whether you’re preparing for the USMLE, COMLEX, NBDE or APMLE, Test Prep Week Exhibitors can help you ace your boards!

California license

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Gasmonkey, Sep 7, 2017.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Gasmonkey

    Gasmonkey 5+ Year Member

    Aug 24, 2011
    Hey guys. Trying to figure out what hoops I may need to jump through for a California license.

    I'm already board certified - practicing in NY and I hold and OH license too.

    I went to Ross, didn't do all those "green book" rotations and I never bothered with The California L6 forms?

    Does any of that matter since I'm boarded? I'd like to go to California in the next 4 years, so nothing urgent.

    Thanks for anyones help. I didn't try to contact the board yet, seemed like a bit of a complicated question that they wouldn't be able to say yes or no 100%.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Twiggidy

    Twiggidy ASA Member 2+ Year Member

    Jan 13, 2015
    just start the application early
    OldGregg likes this.
  4. caligas

    caligas ASA Member 5+ Year Member

    Aug 17, 2012
    Don't you need step 3 within 10 years or did I make that up?
  5. Ezekiel2517

    Ezekiel2517 Anesthesiologist 10+ Year Member

    Jan 21, 2005
    I'm pretty sure you will need those L6 forms, I don't see what being boarded has anything to do with it. IMG's have different requirements. And you should contact the CA med board or at least visit their site. They are asked this question a thousand times bc IMG's have a separate application for licensing. I'm sure their site also has detailed answers to questions like these.
  6. caligas

    caligas ASA Member 5+ Year Member

    Aug 17, 2012
    Never mind, says if practicing in another state than 10 years may be extended

  7. Maewhomhom


    Apr 25, 2017
    "The 10-year period also MAY be extended".

    Well, in my case, my test score was 10 years and 6 months old when I decided to go back to additional training. The didn't "extend" it for me despite me having been licensed and practicing in another state. And that was me asking for PTAL, not even a full license.

    The options they gave me:
    1. Retake USMLE
    2. Withdraw the application.
  8. caligas

    caligas ASA Member 5+ Year Member

    Aug 17, 2012
    Did they give a reason? Do you think it was because you were returning to training?

Share This Page