SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

California licensure

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by Rehability, Mar 24, 2007.

  1. Rehability

    Rehability Junior Member 7+ Year Member

    Feb 22, 2006
    Hello all...

    Currently, I am doing my internship in Chicago with a temporary Illinois license. I will be doing my residency in California starting July 1st. I was told by my co-interns here to apply ASAP for my new license (since I will be in a new state). I contacted my program secretary in Cali and she said that I simply had to show proof that I had an Illinois license...but this just doesn't make any sense (i.e. I shouldn't be able to use an Illinois temporary license in California). So, does California need some sort of license to train as a PGY-2 if you're coming from another state?

    Can someone PLEASE clarify this for me. :confused:
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SCIronMike

    SCIronMike Member Physician 10+ Year Member

    Jul 22, 2002
    Huntington Beach, CA
    UC schools require that you have your California medical license prior to starting your PGY-3 year. I would get the application rolling as soon as you pass step 3. The license is granted for a two year period with the first year ending as soon as your birthday. So, if your birthday hits before the beginning of your PGY3 year, you can request that the license be granted on your birth month to get the most out of your dollar.
  4. armonia

    armonia New Member 5+ Year Member

    Oct 22, 2005
    Is it a general rule that we need to apply for a license every two years (ie all states) or is this specific to California?
  5. Gauss

    Gauss Damnit Jim! 10+ Year Member

    Mar 3, 2002
    your IL and DEA license will expire around july1. You do NOT get a temp license in CA, it sucks. Your stuck getting things cosigned or writing out things on attendings' RX pads. Fortunately, everyone is used to this and everyone helps out.
    CA license is painful - they want an official copy of your diploma, transcript, and then documents from internship and residency confirming your status. Also, you electronically send your usmle scores. Then 3-4 months later you'll get your license. Typically UC will pay all licensure expenses if done in july-aug. You have to submit it to your GME office.
    In CA license renewal is about every 2 years, in your birth month.

Share This Page