California licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rehability

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all...

Currently, I am doing my internship in Chicago with a temporary Illinois license. I will be doing my residency in California starting July 1st. I was told by my co-interns here to apply ASAP for my new license (since I will be in a new state). I contacted my program secretary in Cali and she said that I simply had to show proof that I had an Illinois license...but this just doesn't make any sense (i.e. I shouldn't be able to use an Illinois temporary license in California). So, does California need some sort of license to train as a PGY-2 if you're coming from another state?

Can someone PLEASE clarify this for me. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

UC schools require that you have your California medical license prior to starting your PGY-3 year. I would get the application rolling as soon as you pass step 3. The license is granted for a two year period with the first year ending as soon as your birthday. So, if your birthday hits before the beginning of your PGY3 year, you can request that the license be granted on your birth month to get the most out of your dollar.

Is it a general rule that we need to apply for a license every two years (ie all states) or is this specific to California?

your IL and DEA license will expire around july1. You do NOT get a temp license in CA, it sucks. Your stuck getting things cosigned or writing out things on attendings' RX pads. Fortunately, everyone is used to this and everyone helps out.
CA license is painful - they want an official copy of your diploma, transcript, and then documents from internship and residency confirming your status. Also, you electronically send your usmle scores. Then 3-4 months later you'll get your license. Typically UC will pay all licensure expenses if done in july-aug. You have to submit it to your GME office.
In CA license renewal is about every 2 years, in your birth month.