California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Or click on your state in the AMCAS and see it listed there...

this trumps all. It's in a really nice area of CA too.
15 minutes away from State capitol
1.5 hrs away from Oakland
1.5 hrs away from Bezerkly
2 hours away from San Fran
Think about ^^that from a faculty recruitment/research opportunities perspective than simply "it's close to cool places"

But, then again, WesternU is only 40 minutes away from USC/UCLA but no one from Western goes there for research soooooo idk

Members don't see this ad.

there is no such function ? and it's not as if people apply to every single place with similar mcat

ZtA1PRm.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
there is the range at least
Sorting by 10th/90th is a massive pain in the ass though and so totally useless for the typical applicant. The median MCAT data is all there on each page, I really can't comprehend why median MCAT and median GPA are not sort options. But, they aren't!

Sorting by extremes can be especially misleading, it makes it look like UCLA is on par with Louisville etc. US News has a massive convenience advantage over the MSAR here by offering MCAT/GPA median sort functions plus acceptance rates.

Reactions: 1 user
That's true actually, the median's only in that chart on msar

Reactions: 1 users
....and just like that we are again off topic on this thread...
lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Several things caught my eye: enrollment of 138? I though the inaugural class was 60?

Their 90%ile is Pitt's median. But the range is higher than Rosy F's, but very similar to Drexel's.

Offering an MD/PhD with zero lab facilities???

And a MD/MBA???

[QUO

TE="Spector1, post: 16841268, member: 407650"]
ZtA1PRm.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Do you see average MCAT in there?

Several things caught my eye: enrollment of 138? I though the inaugural class was 60?

Their 90%ile is Pitt's median. But the range is higher than Rosy F's, but very similar to Drexel's.

Offering an MD/PhD with zero lab facilities???

And a MD/MBA???

[QUO

TE="Spector1, post: 16841268, member: 407650"]
ZtA1PRm.jpg
[/QUOTE]

You're looking at Albany's stats...

Reactions: 3 users
My friends son is starting this year here in Elk Grove as well. I won't say his exact numbers. His GPA is 3.5+ and his MCAT is 35+ but for the past 2 years he did not get accepted in any MD schools and he was stubborn not to apply for DO. He was ready to go to Caribbean but he got accepted here so he is happy but lets see how it goes.

I'm assuming that by "bad strategy" you mean that they didn't apply to enough schools/safety schools. But why were they on your wait list in the first place? The only thing that would come to my mind is poor interview skills because they seemingly excel in every quantitative aspect of their app, no?
Plenty of folks who interviewed worse were admitted OOS.
Some of them at very selective schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I am not sure how much experience you have in the medical field, if you haven't noticed both DO/MD schools are moving towards the holistic health. You don't think surgeon are people person?? I think you need to re-evaluate your life. I am a health care professional. I see patients on a daily basis. You see them at the worst time of their life. Do you think you can be wishy washy to people while discussing about a major life event with the patients and family? As a surgeon, you aren't just working by yourself. It is a team effort. People have to like you to want to work with you. Patients will have to like you or they will give you bad reviews- (hence no payment with the new ACA repayment plan). You have so much years ahead. Your attitude will be crushed once you walk through that hospital door. I would suggested for you to volunteered in a hospital. If you don't like people or want to be around people- healthcare isn't for you.

I never said I don't want to be around people, and I don't like people. It's just that I'm a very specific kind of person, and I would prefer to limit my social interactions with people I like.
What I do in my personal life is not relevant to my professional life.. I am a volunteer, and I get a lot of patient interaction. No I am not a mean bum about it.. I put a smile on my face, laugh, be kind, polite, and helpful.
No my smile is not fake by the way.. A lot of these patients are very interesting people! I don't interact with teenagers much though thank god.. Not a fan of most teenagers, although I am a "teen" myself. The priorities of many teens differ from my priorities and so I can not relate at all.

The priorities of many teens differ from my priorities and so I can not relate at all.

I used to be like that, but over time as I've grown and matured I realized I was just kind of an elitist douche. For the most part, those people I shunned as having different priorities or whatever were people who had a lot to teach me. Being able to understand and relate to all sorts of people of all ages from all walks of life, and see the value in them and interactions with them, is a valuable skill. Particularly for a physician; you will be interacting with every kind of person imaginable, and part of your job is to make them feel comfortable and understood.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm assuming that by "bad strategy" you mean that they didn't apply to enough schools/safety schools. But why were they on your wait list in the first place? The only thing that would come to my mind is poor interview skills because they seemingly excel in every quantitative aspect of their app, no?

It could also be poor writing skills. If you don't know how to provide anecdotal evidence about how you fit into a school's mission then you probably won't even get the invite to interview no matter how strong your stats are

I know of one particular student with a 3.9/34 who didn't make the cut and is now in our masters program.

I used to be like that, but over time as I've grown and matured I realized I was just kind of an elitist douche. For the most part, those people I shunned as having different priorities or whatever were people who had a lot to teach me. Being able to understand and relate to all sorts of people of all ages from all walks of life, and see the value in them and interactions with them, is a valuable skill. Particularly for a physician; you will be interacting with every kind of person imaginable, and part of your job is to make them feel comfortable and understood.

I shun nobody; I don't have the right to judge anyone.. I may dislike what they do, their actions, their hobbies, their taste in music, etc but that doesn't mean I have the right to dismiss them.
So if I come across as an elitist, I'm not.. I'm just a different type of person..
I prefer nature, rural areas, mountains, I like old music like Johnny Cash, or Hank Sr, I am a minimalist, I'm a traditional conservative by choice..
Most teens my age?
Like the city, beach, like modern music or rock, aren't really minimalist, and many are liberal.
Do note: Despite my views I'm very open minded, and frown upon government legislation of rules..
For example; I am against abortion, except in cases where the child isn't viable(severe genetic disability or disease which would kill the child anyways), mothers life in danger, etc.. However I'm not going out there and saying ban abortion..
For example: I don't really like the whole idea of "gay marriage" however I don't actually care since it is not my life.. If someone wants to marry the same gender it is their life, their choice.

As for have I learned something? As of right now, not directly.. But I realized through observation a lot about proper choices to make..
Some of the kids I went to HS with are parents already, and don't have a steady paying job.. (I'm not judging them for that by the way..)
It's just a difficult situation I wouldn't want to be in..
Paying for college is expensive enough!!!

You said you can't relate "at all" to other people your age. Believe me, I know what you meant. It's important that you learn to relate to those people; there's a lot you can learn from them. Another good thing to learn is to listen to what people who have come before you have to say instead of simply dismissing it out of hand.

(the reply will be "I'm not dismissing it out of hand" and "I do learn from everyone" etc)

I call BS. Ain't no way in hell somebody with a 3.5 and a 35 got rejected to medical school 2 cycles in a row.

I said 3.5+ and 35+ and you can imagine his GPA and MCAT was way better than that. I didn't want to put exact numbers. They are very close friends of mine and yes he got waitlisted one school and got rejected later on. I'm not sure what exactly happened.
Its not BS, those are facts.

They put on their MSAR profile that, "20% of graduating seniors participated in a global health experience".

They must have mediums there!

They put on their MSAR profile that, "20% of graduating seniors participated in a global health experience".

probably wishful thinking is close enough. Their chief of global studies claimed he was cultivating contacts in sri lanka for study abroad/global health stuff.

Yea, it's under "Student Life" tab.

Yeah, weird. According to MSAR, they get the results from some AAMC Graduation Poll. So maybe they just fill in 20% when they don't have any real information?

Yeah, weird. According to MSAR, they get the results from some AAMC Graduation Poll. So maybe they just fill in 20% when they don't have any real information?
No. Just making stuff up is not acceptable.

No. Just making stuff up is not acceptable.

Except I never implied it was acceptable...
I'm wondering who is "just making stuff up?" MSAR claims they get this information from AAMC's Graduation Questionnaire, which CNSU can't participate in yet.

Except I never implied it was acceptable...
I'm wondering who is "just making stuff up?" MSAR claims they get this information from AAMC's Graduation Questionnaire, which CNSU can't participate in yet.
The school fills in the MSAR except for the matriculation stats.

The school fills in the MSAR except for the matriculation stats.

Are you sure this is true for everything else? I know they fill in info about education, student life, etc.
But MSAR specifically states they get Global Health information from an AAMC distributed poll given to graduating seniors. Based on that, it sounds like they put in this info themselves.

Are you sure this is true for everything else? I know they fill in info about education, student life, etc. But MSAR specifically states they get Global Health information from an AAMC distributed poll given to graduating seniors.

We update that data with the senior exit survey ourselves but it is possible that the AAMC corroborates it. If the AAMC generated this misinformation, they should be spanked.

maybe they're extrapolating from their pharm students? (still unethical though)

im really curious to find out the stats of the matriculant class though.

Looks like Netter has theirs at 25%. Weird MSAR.

No mediums, just the 80/20 rule :)