California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wow, this year, quite interesting.

I am guessing you would need to have an AMCAS 2015 application verified to apply for 2015 entry though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The first suggested article under the post: "Northstate medical school dean resigns"

First paragraph:

"Dr. Robert Suskind, dean at California Northstate University College of Medicine, resigned Monday to work on another medical school start up in Southern California."

His current one barely got off the ground and he's already going to do another? This guy's going to start a franchise.
 
The first suggested article under the post: "Northstate medical school dean resigns"

First paragraph:

"Dr. Robert Suskind, dean at California Northstate University College of Medicine, resigned Monday to work on another medical school start up in Southern California."

His current one barely got off the ground and he's already going to do another? This guy's going to start a franchise.
I have a bad feeling it's Arrowhead...
 
I have a bad feeling it's Arrowhead...

Just looked this up. San Bernadino? Here's an article: http://www.sbsun.com/social-affairs/20140414/new-medical-school-planned-for-san-bernardino-county

"The idea for a new medical school entered his mind in 2010, after executives from a Caribbean medical school asked Arrowhead Regional Medical Center if they would accept their graduates into its residency program."

The plot thickens!

At least, per the article, it's planned to be a not-for-profit medical school.
 
Just looked this up. San Bernadino? Here's an article: http://www.sbsun.com/social-affairs/20140414/new-medical-school-planned-for-san-bernardino-county

"The idea for a new medical school entered his mind in 2010, after executives from a Caribbean medical school asked Arrowhead Regional Medical Center if they would accept their graduates into its residency program."

The plot thickens!

At least, per the article, it's planned to be a not-for-profit medical school.
I'm aware.
 
So what's the outlook on this? Shady? Greedy?

How exactly are they planning to fill a class for this fall "if all things go well"? Auction?
 
i actually think they might? haha idk what the admission standards will be but who knows. There are plenty of rejected ppl in california that will apply
 
They're going to fill a class in 3 months?

Unknown.jpeg


I definitely have mixed feelings about for-profit education, but there is a need for more medical school seats (and residence placements). I can not imagine that they would have trouble filling a class.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At least they would have a mission statement.
They've got a snazzy website, though!
I never use the MSAR for mission statements...they all blend together after a bit. I like poring through the websites, it feels more immersive. :shrug:
 
Pssshh, no IS preference, they require a letter in addition to a Committee letter, 2 semesters of math required...despite their low stat reqs, they're not even that desirable for marginal CA applicants who are desperate for any shot at staying in the state. Do they not know their audience?
 
"GPA and MCAT Requirements: California Northstate University College of Medicine requires a minimum GPA of 2.8 and traditional MCAT score of 24 to be considered for admission."

shouldn't have any issue filling those seats in 3 months lol
 
I also love that they have a reapplicant policy when, by definition, they will see zero reapplicants this year! :laugh:

Not gonna lie, I'd give it a shot if their app was easy and they were going to offer free tuition to the inaugural class like some do. But with annoying app requirements? Nope.
 
"GPA and MCAT Requirements: California Northstate University College of Medicine requires a minimum GPA of 2.8 and traditional MCAT score of 24 to be considered for admission."

shouldn't have any issue filling those seats in 3 months lol
Hey now, anything <3.2 is looked down upon.

I actually figure that many black/white screens are not too much steeper, even if they're not advertised.
 
I also love that they have a reapplicant policy when, by definition, they will see zero reapplicants this year! :laugh:

Not gonna lie, I'd give it a shot if their app was easy and they were going to offer free tuition to the inaugural class like some do. But with annoying app requirements? Nope.

Their pharmacy tuition scales considerably each successive year, and I only saw the suction cost for first year on their brochure...
 
Wait I'm confused? They expect people to start applying to their medical school now for 2015 fall matriculation?
 
I'll be honest I am somewhat interested in applying. I was going to be a re-applicant DO only this time but the chance to start this fall within 2 hours of home is very attractive even if it only provisionally accredited.
 
Just kidding....... (but really though can someone chime in with how it would look for residencies to graduate from the only for-profit school in the nation?)

If you look at the first couple of matches for the first (and only?) for profit DO school (Rocky Vista), they looked similar to other low-tier DO schools, with fairly high attrition rate prior to the match.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly outside of the fact that the school is for profit what realistic reasons are there for not considering it low tier MD school. Also given the fact that one of my top DO schools I am applying to is also for profit (Rocky Vista).
 
Last edited:
Is it weird that majority of the faculty went to school and did their residencies in other countries? Serious question, not sure if this is normal or even something to worry about.
 
Honestly outside of the fact that the school is for profit what realistic reasons are there for not considering it low tier MD school. Also given the fact that two of my top DO schools I am applying to are also for profit (Touro).

I think you need to do more research about your "top DO schools" if you think Touro is for-profit.
 
I think you need to do more research about your "top DO schools" if you think Touro is for-profit.


Jesus its been a long day. You are absolutely correct Touro isn't for profit Rocky Vista (already mentioned in this thread) is and I am applying there.
 
Honestly outside of the fact that the school is for profit what realistic reasons are there for not considering it low tier MD school. Also given the fact that one of my top DO schools I am applying to is also for profit (Rocky Vista).

Touro is not a for-profit school
 
what the.... their admissions timeline is .... interesting......

http://medicine.cnsu.edu/students-com/admissions/admissions-timeline

Interview invites begins 6 days after secondaries open??


Their FAQ is also ... interesting...:

"How many applications do you receive, interviews do you grant, and applicants do you accept in an average year?
We typically receive more than 1000 applications a year, grant approximately 300 interviews, and offer acceptances to seat a class of 60.

Do you give preference to any major?
No. We do not give preference to any major. However, most of our applicants are science majors. The most common majors are biology, chemistry, biochemistry, psychobiology, etc.

Where am I on the wait list?
Since the wait list changes constantly, sometimes on a daily basis, we do not designate specific numbers. Additionally, it is difficult to anticipate how many wait list applicants will be called to fill the class for a specific year. Because of this reason, we cannot tell a candidate they will, or will not be called off the list, nor can we estimate when. Based on past experience, we can only state our wait list applicants may be notified at any time during the admission cycle. "

You don't even have any applicants yet!
 
Last edited:
"CNUCOM is in the process of applying to the U.S. Department of Education for participation in Federal Student Aid programs. Until this process is complete and the U.S. Department of Education indicates CNUCOM to be eligible to participate in Federal Student Aid programs, we will be unable to provide students with Federal Student Aid, which includes Federal Direct Loans, Federal Graduate PLUS Loans, Federal Work-Study benefits, etc."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"CNUCOM is in the process of applying to the U.S. Department of Education for participation in Federal Student Aid programs. Until this process is complete and the U.S. Department of Education indicates CNUCOM to be eligible to participate in Federal Student Aid programs, we will be unable to provide students with Federal Student Aid, which includes Federal Direct Loans, Federal Graduate PLUS Loans, Federal Work-Study benefits, etc."
So, they can't give any students financial aid, so if they're not waiving tuition for the first class then they're only enrolling people that can pay cash? Wouldn't be a surprise from a for-profit medical school... I have to say this whole thing makes me uncomfortable. I don't like seeing further commodification of medical education in this country.
 
My only hope for this school is that it stimulates its clinical affiliates (Kaiser and Mercy) to start some residency programs beyond Mercy's Family Medicine Program. Since I don't see their graduates taking many spots at UC Davis, I'm not sure how else they could achieve their goal of creating more N. California physicians.
 
Serious question to spark some conversation: if they waived tuition for their inaugural class, would it still be foolish to consider attending? I mean after all, it IS a fully accredited school. Newer schools like Hofstra and Quinnipac never had this sort of reputation (albeit they obviously weren't for-profit). But even if you can match only into the least competitive specialties, surely there has to be some sort of appeal in graduating debt free at the age of 26 right?

RVU (a DO school) is a for-profit school and their inaugural class matched fine so if it weren't for CNU's annoying ass requirements and ridiculous financial aid policies (or lack thereof), it is an okay option in my opinion. If I had the option of picking between CNU and a more established school, I'd opt for the latter.
 
I am really thankful for this thread. I guess I had naively thought that all medical schools had some sort of great mission in mind for their raison d'etre. I had never conceived that for some it could be driven by cash. As much as I'd like to stay in California, I'm crossing this one off my list.