California Pre-License Substance Abuse Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red-panda

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last post I can find about this is inactive since 2013, so wanted to ask people who are licensed in California or trying to get licensed in Cali more recently, about the substance abuse course requirement. I have education in substance abuse, but it was either part of a larger course or hands on experience on practicum/internship; neither of these satisfy the Cali requirement to take a 15 hour length course with accredited university specifically in substance abuse. I've completed all the other reqs through CE4Less, so this is all that remains.

The only option I can find that BOP will accept is a pretty expensive online course through Alliant, and a workshop once a year at Pepperdine - but I live in the bay area. Does anyone know of any other options? I've heard the VA I work for offers a course in the spring for trainees, but I want to finish my reqs as soon as possible since I'm a staff member and the clock is ticking to get licensed. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

JFK University. Pricey, but that was the only one I could find at the time that was approved and can be taken anytime.

Reactions: 1 user