Called an NP a midlevel...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't even worry about it. Being a medical student is great, but it doesn't mean that you are employable. A doctor starts getting complaints in a hospital setting, and the administration will shut that *hit down fast. But like I said in an earlier post, this stuff just does not happen that much. Out of 50 doctors (estimating), I've worked with one dbag doctor.

You don't think this whole thread is indicative of exactly the kind of sentiment that they're trying to fight against? The vitriol spouted by all of these people is so toxic, it's hard to believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen people study with great discipline and study methods for several months and struggle to break 500. There are likely certain qualities of both innate and developed intelligence (don't even get started with language comprehension) that are too set by the time someone is taking the MCAT to improve significantly.

Reactions: 4 users
I've seen people study with great discipline and study methods for several months and struggle to break 500. There are likely certain qualities of both innate and developed intelligence (don't even get started with language comprehension) that are too set by the time someone is taking the MCAT to improve significantly.
Can't relate
My reading is my strongest skill...
I could read the entire Harry Potter book in under 4 hours

If this test is really all about reading comprehension and reasoning/logic looks like I may do well.
I don't really like math much, I am not the best math person, but if I practice enough I can do fine.
So I do have a downfall....

The article said not to call np non physician providers because:
"It's not right to call a physician non nursing provider"

But it is right....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
perhaps understanding the intersection of politics and power of professional association is not neccessarily a straight-forward, simplistic analysis like a college student. this is especially true as medicine becomes more and more a team effort among many roles at various levels. not too mention understanding other people's issues is perhaps the essential skill that every physican must possess

Reactions: 1 users
Wait...are you trolling us?
No
I actually can
That isn't even that fast
The world record is 57 minutes, and it was tested with a summary. (No I don't hold it nor do I think I could match that. I do read fairly fast, just not that fast.)

Back in H.S when assigned a book I used to read the entire book in about an hour or so...
Then I would take a nap for the next 3 months while the teacher went through the book...

No
I actually can
The world record is 57 minutes, and it was tested with a summary. (No I don't hold it nor do I think I could match that. I do read fairly fast, just not that fast.)

Back in H.S when assigned a book I used to read the entire book in about an hour or so...
Then I would take a nap for the next 3 months while the teacher went through the book...
1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
No
I actually can

coo. tell us when u 520 or 514 or w/e

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
https://www.aanp.org/images/documents/publications/useofterms.pdf

The term is formally opposed by both NP and PA associations. There is significant dislike of the term across NP, PA, and RNs across the country. I would suggest that by the time most of you are in practice it will be considered a term of derision. They are promoting changes in CMS to remove the term via regulatory processes. At the moment is remains the legal classification for purposes of billing
Totally unrelated, but are you a doc? You mentioned your a former adcom I'm curious ._.

We should be getting with the nurses /NPs and PAs not fight with them !!

Last edited:
No
I actually can

They are trolling us! Don't drag Harry Potter into this! Quick, someone, cast Wingardium Leviosa to knock them out with their own club!

I got chewed out for calling referring to the NP/PA at work collectively as "midlevels." I was using the term while talking to a coworker, when an NP who works in a different department overheard me. She came over and told me that I was using an offensive term, then lectured me about how if she is a midlevel then does that make her staff low level.

I am a lab tech. Who on her staff is lower level than me?? I've heard several of the MDs and PAs I work with use the term. So what gives? Is it really an offensive term.

Tell her to blame the US Federal Government (specifically the DEA). The definition of a "mid-level provider" is based on DEA specifications and includes PAs, NPs, nurse-midwives, CRNAs etc. Also, each state in the US has a definition that covers NPs and I'd bet that at least half of them call them mid-levels. Like Minnesota (just picked an easy one) [MINN. STAT. SS 144.1501(f)]. Medicare calls them "non-physician practitioners".

Also her statement about her staff is illogical. Unless they are also NPs, they are not "providers" and thus have no "level".

If it were me, next time I'd be ready to quote my state's NP statute and explain that NPs are, by definition, mid-level but that's how I approach things.

P.S. I'm a proponent of NPs in some situations but hate this attitude.

Last edited:
@Dr.Sticks I would refrain from tooting your own horn too much before you actually sit for the exam. The road to medicine is literred with 4.0 25's. Take the exam and then toot.
I think these threads need their own subforum.
SPF

@Dr.Sticks I would refrain from tooting your own horn too much before you actually sit for the exam. The road to medicine is literred with 4.0 25's. Take the exam and then toot.

SPF
Exactly. You literally have no idea how it's gonna go so please don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Guys....Sticks, don't tempt fate. I feel like the more you say " I CANT MCAT WELL" the more likely you'll choke and screw it up.
Everything can be learned

Why am I a fast reader? Because as a kid I always had my nose in a book..
I was made to read 10 books a week in elementary school growing up.
That would make anyone a skilled reader...

If I was made to do 20 math problems every night before I went to sleep maybe I wouldn't suck at math that much.. I haven't even taken calc 1 yet and I'm a sophomore
Most take it as freshman..

Bet she wouldnt call you out if you had an "MD" behind your name

If I was made to do 20 math problems every night before I went to sleep maybe I wouldn't suck at math that much.. I haven't even taken calc 1 yet and I'm a sophomore
Dude. The whole point of this discussion is that not everything can be learned- sometimes things are just skills you're born with. Take the MCAT and let us know.

SPF
I am not
I said I think with dedication anyone could get a high score
I then stated I may not be dedicated enough to achieve that high and if I could manage a 514 I would be happy.

RKBN5qW.gif

Veering WAY off topic guys. Move over to the social thread before we get this locked (for the wrong reasons)

Dude. The whole point of this discussion is that not everything can be learned- sometimes things are just skills you're born with. Take the MCAT and let us know.
I would follow this up, but at this point the thread is derailed enough.
I will refrain from further off topic comments before I get the thread locked...
Anyways; You are free to debate me on if people are born intelligent or learn to be intelligent. Maybe another thread or PM...
tomorrow is my last day of spring break,so response may be delayed after Sunday.

Reactions: 1 user
If this can happen https://www.google.com/amp/sapienplus.com/super-human-number-14-super-reader-anne-jones/amp/
How hard is it to believe that I am 4 times slower than her?

It's not that it's hard to believe that someone could read a single Harry Potter book quickly; it's hard to believe that you would refer to the "entire Harry Potter book" when there are seven books.

Listen, @Dr.Sticks , you might want to calm down a bit. Keep in mind that this advice is coming from the least calm person that I know. You're still a ways away from taking the MCAT. Maybe don't post how straight forward it is to score a ridiculously high score until after you've actually taken the test; you might end up feeling pretty silly in a couple of years.

Reactions: 5 users
Every time I read @Dr.Sticks' comments, I get dumber

Reactions: 8 users
It's not that it's hard to believe that someone could read a single Harry Potter book quickly; it's hard to believe that you would refer to the "entire Harry Potter book" when there are seven books.

Listen, @Dr.Sticks , you might want to calm down a bit. Keep in mind that this advice is coming from the least calm person that I know. You're still a ways away from taking the MCAT. Maybe don't post how straight forward it is to score a ridiculously high score until after you've actually taken the test; you might end up feeling pretty silly in a couple of years.
Again: I didn't say it was easy
I said with dedication I don't see why someone can't score high
That dedication is extreme though
The dedication to getting straight A grades is 30 to 40 hours a week
From my research the high achievers usually dedicate 30-40 hours a week to mcat prep as well

I then followed up saying I am not sure if I can dedicate myself like that.

Is dedicated 30+ hours to a test for months easy? Nope

That is why the average is not every high, that is why not every gets an A grade.

I refuse to accept that someone is too stupid to get an A or do well on the MCAT.

Anyways enough off topic posts please..
PM if you want to discuss this further, and maybe I will start a thread on the appropriate forum and tag all of you.
I don't mind citing peer reviewed sources and writing a full length paper on why intelligence isn't something one is born with.

I got chewed out for calling referring to the NP/PA at work collectively as "midlevels." I was using the term while talking to a coworker, when an NP who works in a different department overheard me. She came over and told me that I was using an offensive term, then lectured me about how if she is a midlevel then does that make her staff low level.

I am a lab tech. Who on her staff is lower level than me?? I've heard several of the MDs and PAs I work with use the term. So what gives? Is it really an offensive term.

I asked my mom about this because I was curious about her take on it. Like I mentioned earlier, she's a nurse, and she's relatively well connected in the medical community in my small hometown. According to her, it's rare but not unheard of for NPs and PAs to be offended by the term "midlevel". She added that she (and most NPs and PAs) doesn't see the problem with it because that is what they are.

No, they actually take College Algebra, and then they take either Pre-cal, or Trigonometry, and then Calculus 1. At my college, the majority of all premeds take: College Algebra, Trigonometry, and then Statistics, because those courses fulfill the requirements for most Texas Medical schools.

Clearly, you have never worked at a hospital. You think that the MD tag makes you the Pope or something? The hospital administration has no problem putting doctors with a golden spoon mentality in their place.

Bet she wouldnt call you out if you had an "MD" behind your name

Clearly, you have never worked at a hospital. You think that the MD tag makes you the Pope or something? The hospital administration has no problem putting doctors with a golden spoon mentality in their place.
Your point? You think an NP is going to call out an MD for using the term "mid-level"? She was just picking on a student to feel validated.

Actually, I live at the hospital brah. don't make assumptions online

Your point? You think an NP is going to call out an MD for using the term "mid-level"? She was just picking on a student to feel validated.

They don't call them residents for nothin'

They don't call them residents for nothin'
not yet, someday hopefully. I live in the library and study hall of the hospital wing, specifically. But I do see patients on a regular basis.

Reactions: 2 users
lol mcat is like step 1; the number of people who think they can score 250+ and the number of people who actually do are quite different.

Wonder why.

Are you trying to convince me of something here? Do I really have to explain to you how idiotic it is to sit around in a clinical setting, and talk about those "midlevels" and deem dar nurses. Go ahead and do it, report back how the MD tag will make any difference in the way people treat you afterward.

Are you trying to convince me of something here? Do I really have to explain to you how idiotic it is to sit around in a clinical setting, and talk about those "midlevels" and deem dar nurses. Go ahead and do it, report back how the MD tag will make any difference in the way people treat you afterward.
you're making a mountain out of a molehole. I would never use the term "midlevel" but even if I did, people should stop getting offended over trivial matters and feeling wrongly victimized over an archaic term. there are bigger things to worry about.

you're making a mountain out of a molehole. I would never use the term "midlevel" but even if I did, people should stop getting offended over trivial matters and feeling wrongly victimized over an archaic term. there are bigger things to worry about.
i think txmed might be one of those people

I think there should be a bot that automatically closes threads like these.
I don't mind them, I'm just oddly fascinated how people manage to get so worked up about the same exact topic over and over and over again even though it's been rehashed so many times...

lol mcat is like step 1; the number of people who think they can score 250+ and the number of people who actually do are quite different.

Wonder why.
no. hellllll noooo. you're comparing a pebble to a whole galaxy.

I don't mind them, I'm just oddly fascinated how people manage to get so worked up about the same exact topic over and over and over again even though it's been rehashed so many times...
could be that the individual had prior experience being an NP or knew an NP. Or simply like to be argumentative on a trivial matter.

The former 2 scenarios are excusable, the latter is just a bit cringy.

It is like md/do threads or urm threads. New crop of people come on here, and we have to do it all over. These threads almost always end up being rant threads, with no real substance to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.