Calling in sick at full-time job to work at per-diem job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys go about this in making sure no one finds out that you're actually working at the other place?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you seriously asking this question?

:rolleyes:

My sister fires people for that....but do what you want

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhhh yeah. My per diem guys are always calling me and asking me to call out sick and come work for them that day, lol.

the answer is there is no way to make sure they don't find out.

I don't believe for a second you actually do this though. the very nature of the question(how in the hell would you make sure of such a thing?) indicates it was meant for pure shock value.

the answer is there is no way to make sure they don't find out.

I don't believe for a second you actually do this though. the very nature of the question(how in the hell would you make sure of such a thing?) indicates it was meant for pure shock value.

*Double checks this is a Sparda thread*

You must be new here

Reason why I'm asking is because the DOP at my FT job is a real snooper. He was telling us a story about how there was this one guy that used to work for him another hospital. Guy went out on disability leave, but in reality was working at an independent pharmacy he just opened. So he hears about this while walking by someone who was talking to someone else "hey did you see Mr. Smith's new pharmacy, it's a pretty cool operation."

So the next day, he drives over to the independent pharmacy, parks outside and waits for the guy to show up and when he does, goes up to him and asks for his resignation.

Reason why I'm asking is because the DOP at my FT job is a real snooper. He was telling us a story about how there was this one guy that used to work for him another hospital. Guy went out on disability leave, but in reality was working at an independent pharmacy he just opened. So he hears about this while walking by someone who was talking to someone else "hey did you see Mr. Smith's new pharmacy, it's a pretty cool operation."

So the next day, he drives over to the independent pharmacy, parks outside and waits for the guy to show up and when he does, goes up to him and asks for his resignation.
I wouldn't say that's a "real snooper," I would say that's due diligence given the details. Out on disability leave is a much more major thing, and having coworkers know about your other gig is a poor choice, since they'll inevitably blab.

While there is no way to 100% guarantee your boss won't find out, one sick day is probably an isolated incident to the point that you can get away with it. But you wouldn't just do it one time, you would make a habit out of it, which is where you would get caught.

Didn't you say that your sick days go to waste and you want to burn through them before the end of the year? Putting it into motion here?

*Double checks this is a Sparda thread*

You must be new here

Oh no I get his schtick....I guess I look at it like this- if you're going to cast bait out there, make it good, clever, funny, entertaining, whatever......don't make it both an obvious lie and stupid/unoriginal/not well thought out.

good baiting is a skill. He's got to work on his.

I don't think the numbers pan out when you consider risk vs. benefit - you're risking your FT, benefitted, union (?), stable job for the per-diem job that can release you immediately.

It's a small risk....but yeah I wouldn't do it.

Any enterprising person want to built a decision tree calculating the benefit gained from such a move vs. expected loss given a discovery rate of 1%?

I don't think the numbers pan out when you consider risk vs. benefit - you're risking your FT, benefitted, union (?), stable job for the per-diem job that can release you immediately.

It's a small risk....but yeah I wouldn't do it.

Any enterprising person want to built a decision tree calculating the benefit gained from such a move vs. expected loss given a discovery rate of 1%?

Exactly. Why would you risk your full time?

Yeah, you're on the short end of the union too, easy to bump you out. If you've been in that union for 25 years, you might be in a safer position to do something stupid.