You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Calling myself an "intellectual" in secondary?
Started by TheBiologist
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think what I have sounds good and not "cringe-y", but is it too arogant?
I'm cringing right now.
😕
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean you graduated university and took the MCAT, I'd hope you'd be an intellect.
lol no it's not even bad, I kind of don't want to post the whole sentence - I just want to know if it will be seen as arrogantI'm cringing right now.
😕
lol no it's not even bad, I kind of don't want to post the whole sentence - I just want to know if it will be seen as arrogant
People who are intellectuals and not arrogant do not ever have to refer to themselves as intellectuals.
If someone feels the need to inform me that they're intelligent, I assume that they're not
Do this only if you never want to be a doctor.I think what I have sounds good and not "cringe-y", but is it too arogant?
If someone feels the need to inform me that they're intelligent, I assume that they're not
Being intelligent and being an intellectual are not the same thing.
Being intelligent and being an intellectual are not the same thing.
You're reading a secondary, a pre-med calls himself an intellectual and you don't at all interpret that as him declaring his intelligence?
They're different, but they're not that different. The connotation is there, and he comes across as a tool
Pre med example:Being intelligent and being an intellectual are not the same thing.
Neurology is often said to be a specialty for intellectuals.
Both neurology and neurosurgery are careers for intelligent people.
Still probably wouldn't put it in, but we really need a sentence.
by the way, the prompt is an "autobiography from primary school to present"
here is part of the sentence: "...and my reputation as an intellectual among my teachers and peers..."
I also mention my interest in becoming a neurologist, and I am a neuro major..
here is part of the sentence: "...and my reputation as an intellectual among my teachers and peers..."
I also mention my interest in becoming a neurologist, and I am a neuro major..
Last edited:
Make sure to bring caviar to ur interview and chew on a cigar.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
by the way, the prompt is an "autobiography from primary school to present"
here is part of the sentence: "...and my reputation as an intellectual among my teachers and peers..."
by the way I also mention my interest in becoming a neurologist, and I am a neuro major..
No
offer a better word/phrase?
No, it sounds like you're trying to modestly compliment yourself by explaining that other people called you intellectual. That technique is the annoying younger sibling of the humble brag. Find another way to convey your intellectualism.by the way, the prompt is an "autobiography from primary school to present"
here is part of the sentence: "...and my reputation as an intellectual among my teachers and peers..."
by the way I also mention my interest in becoming a neurologist, and I am a neuro major..
Any man who must say "I am the king" is no true king.People who are intellectuals and not arrogant do not ever have to refer to themselves as intellectuals.
-Tywin Lannister
Don't do it.
by the way, the prompt is an "autobiography from primary school to present"
here is part of the sentence: "...and my reputation as an intellectual among my teachers and peers..."
by the way I also mention my interest in becoming a neurologist, and I am a neuro major..
offer another word/phrase
First of all, I don't think it's a good idea to mention your neurologist interest, but that's beside the point.
I don't think that sentence can be rescued. The whole thing goes beyond the appropriate way to blow your own horn in an essay. Mention what you've accomplished, not how others perceived it or you.
But...but...Any man who must say "I am the king" is no true king.
-Tywin Lannister
So far beyond cringe!here is part of the sentence: "...and my reputation as an intellectual among my teachers and peers..."
Unless your sentence mentions something about becoming an intellectual (i.e your CONTINUING journey to become an intellectual) as opposed to saying you are currently or were an intellectual, then my advice is to not do it.
So far beyond cringe!
This sounds like you're the kid who always answers the professor's questions in class to "get on their good side". Trash it.
EDIT: Oops I quoted the wrong post, sorry gyngyn!
did you mean to quote my post? this is absolutely not true so if it comes across like that then I guess I don't want to put it.....This sounds like you're the kid who always answers the professor's questions in class to "get on their good side". Trash it.
did you mean to quote my post? this is absolutely not true so if it comes across like that then I guess I don't want to put it.....
I did!
The prompt sounds like they want a diversity statement, if they don't already have one in their secondary.by the way, the prompt is an "autobiography from primary school to present"
here is part of the sentence: "...and my reputation as an intellectual among my teachers and peers..."
I also mention my interest in becoming a neurologist, and I am a neuro major..
"What in your life makes you cool/interesting up to now?"
I believe it's just Vandy and UCSD with this prompt, and while of course it should display an applicant's positive and unique characteristics, the scope goes way beyond a diversity essay.The prompt sounds like they want a diversity statement, if they don't already have one in their secondary.
"What makes you cool/interesting up to now?"
Ok, I'm just going to say this....
We often scratch our heads wondering why certain applicants with very good stats and ECs have failed cycles (the Million $ Mistake guy comes to mind). It's mistakes like this that are lethal.
Thank goodness you sensed something might be wrong with that sentence and asked.
We often scratch our heads wondering why certain applicants with very good stats and ECs have failed cycles (the Million $ Mistake guy comes to mind). It's mistakes like this that are lethal.
Thank goodness you sensed something might be wrong with that sentence and asked.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That sentence excerpt legit makes me worry about ALL your essays, it's that uncomfortable to read
Well, except The Mighty Orange One...he'll tell you he is. Oh wait, you said someone who IS actually an intellectual. 😀Sounds really arrogant - nobody who is actually an intellectual refers to themselves as an intellectual.
See the previous post about "any man who must say "I am king""....Well, except The Mighty Orange One...he'll tell you he is. Oh wait, you said someone who IS actually an intellectual. 😀
Make sure to bring caviar to ur interview and chew on a cigar.
And wear a smoking jacket.
" My reputation as intellectual"
"My reputation for being pretentious AF and affirming my intelligence to people...."
I'm an awkward person so I realize you don't want it to sound like that but it does.
"My reputation for being pretentious AF and affirming my intelligence to people...."
I'm an awkward person so I realize you don't want it to sound like that but it does.
i love House, as a male I can't say he's a heartthrob tho 😉" My reputation as intellectual"
"My reputation for being pretentious AF and affirming my intelligence to people...."
I'm an awkward person so I realize you don't want it to sound like that but it does.
by the way we can start to end this thread, i got my answer.... no more lol
Last edited:
Sure you can.i love House, as a male I can't say he's a heartthrob tho 😉
by the way we can start to end this thread, i got my answer.... no more lol
Remy Hadley ( 13) is a heartthrob , too. And so is Dr. Cuddy. Just not as much as House.
But srsly I hate when other characters say he's unattractive and completely unlovable he isn't. Stay away from my precious son.
13 and Cameron >>>Sure you can.
Remy Hadley ( 13) is a heartthrob , too. And so is Dr. Cuddy. Just not as much as House.
But srsly I hate when other characters say he's unattractive and completely unlovable he isn't. Stay away from my precious son.
Being an intellectual at a very young age (earlier than 6th grade) is precocious and somewhat cute. I recall a friend's son, age 10, who went to the HIV awareness table at a music festival and started asking some sophisticated questions about anti-retrovirals based on what he'd read in the NYTimes over breakfast. He was cute and endearing if perhaps a little intimidating. He's grown up to be a perfectly charming college grad but I wouldn't encourage him to say that his teachers and classmates thought of him as an intellectual, although it was true. (As far as I know, he has no intention of going to medical school.)
In all seriousness, I was kind of like that. I used to read this website called Kidhealth.com when I was 8, and I used to talk about health conditions with these huge words. ( Diabetes, how twins come alone, allergies, Lupus, alopecia, etc.). Adults thought it was cute and kinda of creepy at the same time. One of my mom's old friends was like " She's definitely going to be a doctor" which was kinda of cute. Now I just have to dedicate my life to getting into medical school....Being an intellectual at a very young age (earlier than 6th grade) is precocious and somewhat cute. I recall a friend's son, age 10, who went to the HIV awareness table at a music festival and started asking some sophisticated questions about anti-retrovirals based on what he'd read in the NYTimes over breakfast. He was cute and endearing if perhaps a little intimidating. He's grown up to be a perfectly charming college grad but I wouldn't encourage him to say that his teachers and classmates thought of him as an intellectual, although it was true. (As far as I know, he has no intention of going to medical school.)
I don't think I'll bring it up in my PS though. There's just no way to do without seeming precocious. ( Even though I'm likely not applying for another two years....)
Last edited:
You should also mention that you dabble in quantum mechanics in your free time. Also claim that the katana is the superior sword because it has been folded a thousand times. Also use a picture of you in a fedora as your secondary picture.
But seriously, I wouldn't refer to yourself as an intellectual but painting yourself as a lover of academia in your personal statement is fine as long as it isn't overdone.
But seriously, I wouldn't refer to yourself as an intellectual but painting yourself as a lover of academia in your personal statement is fine as long as it isn't overdone.
Always assert yourself as an intellectual and use silence to beat down the doubter. Don't ever make my mistake of trying to be humble.
I was reading Parva Naturalia on a bus. A girl really cute girl came over and asked "Are you an intellectual?". And I replied "Not really." She then smiled and said "So that's why you read Aristotle." She left on the next stop. I did not know what the hell had just happened. I tried to formulate a comeback but couldn't. What should I have said to get laid ????
I was reading Parva Naturalia on a bus. A girl really cute girl came over and asked "Are you an intellectual?". And I replied "Not really." She then smiled and said "So that's why you read Aristotle." She left on the next stop. I did not know what the hell had just happened. I tried to formulate a comeback but couldn't. What should I have said to get laid ????
Always assert yourself as an intellectual and use silence to beat down the doubter. Don't ever make my mistake of trying to be humble.
I was reading Parva Naturalia on a bus. A girl really cute girl came over and asked "Are you an intellectual?". And I replied "Not really." She then smiled and said "So that's why you read Aristotle." She left on the next stop. I did not know what the hell had just happened. I tried to formulate a comeback but couldn't. What should I have said to get laid ????
"Where is the nearest brothel?"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I prefer the opposite. Rather than referring your self to an intellectual, call everyone else a phony.
The Holden Caulfield technique!I prefer the opposite. Rather than referring your self to an intellectual, call everyone else a phony.
Well then I'm an intellectual.Sounds really arrogant - nobody who is actually an intellectual refers to themselves as an intellectual.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 648
- Replies
- 11
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 821