Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

calling programs

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by asrt101, Jan 7, 2009.

1. asrt101

Medical Student
    I've heard that in other specialties, the PD at a student's medical school will call the PD at the student's first choice program and put in a good word for the student. Is this something that is commonly done in pathology and if so, does it have much of an influence on the ranking process?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Napoleon1801

10+ Year Member

Wouldn't that kill your chances at your home school?

4. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know how much it would matter, if they have enough to say that would be important it's probably already in one of your reference letters. I also don't know how often it happens. I suppose it can't hurt though.

5. SeenTheLight

SeenTheLight Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, this happens. But at many programs, the PD is only part of the committee that decides the rank list. If more influential people are part of the committee, and the PD has relatively little political power, those phone calls will not help much.

6. HbyHA

HbyHA Fellowship, take 2.
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    and it won't help if the candidate is a bozo, either

7. Dral

Physician PhD 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I spoke with an Ortho attending about this and he said that as far as his field goes (He's my school's PD) he makes calls a lot if the student is that desirable. As far as losing the student to another school opposed to the home school? Well, there are tons of stellar applicants and if the PD has enough confidence in his program and in the student to make a 'best fit' choice, then he/she as a PD doesn't really have too much to worry about as I see it.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this works in Pathology. I guess it varies by PD.

8. gbwillner

gbwillner Pastafarian
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Programs can operate differently, but in general yes, it will help you. Path is a relatively small field, and personal communication can be HUGE. If the PD at your program of interest trained with/knows closely/was mentored by the attending who is calling on your behalf = Done deal, unless you are a total wanker and piss off everybody you interview with. During the comittee meeting the PD will say, "I got a call about this applicant from our good buddy John Doe who says this is the best medical student of all time and we should take him." Who's going to disagree with that?