Campbell or UNC Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anybody received a rejection letter yet?

Members don't see this ad.

just wondering if anyone here is going to the spring orientation at unc next week?! im going, hopefully it will be helpful! btw, does anyone else think its weird that we have to dress in business attire for an orientation?! i thought that was interesting, especially since unc doesn't have a dress code for everyday classes like some colleges do. plus this isn't the official orientation that we will have to go to in the fall..

on another note, has anyone on the waitlist heard back yet?! its been a few months since anyone has written on this thread, just seeing if anyone has updates. good luck to everyone still waiting :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
just wondering if anyone here is going to the spring orientation at unc next week?! im going, hopefully it will be helpful! btw, does anyone else think its weird that we have to dress in business attire for an orientation?! i thought that was interesting, especially since unc doesn't have a dress code for everyday classes like some colleges do. plus this isn't the official orientation that we will have to go to in the fall..

on another note, has anyone on the waitlist heard back yet?! its been a few months since anyone has written on this thread, just seeing if anyone has updates. good luck to everyone still waiting :luck:

Just got pulled off the waitlist! So I'll be there!

I still haven't heard anything. Does anyone know how many get waitlisted? It seems like its probabley a long list. I guess I'll wait it out an see what happens. I'm sure glad I've already been accpeted to CU. I guess that is where I am meant to be. I wonder what the attrition rate is here in NC.

At orientation this week Dr. Cox mentioned that they have 149 students...so there may be a few more spots available. Good luck!!

At orientation this week Dr. Cox mentioned that they have 149 students...so there may be a few more spots available. Good luck!!
OMg! I'm so happy things are moving along! Hopefully, I'll be joining you soon :)

I hope the limit isn't 150, if it is then I'm ****ed.

Guys, if it makes you feel any better...in a small group of 4 of us at pre-orientation...two of us were called last Thursday and taken off the waitlist...so keep the hope!!!

I got a call from Pam Goldston regarding the UNC satellite campus. Unfortunately, she called me cell phone, which I never answer, and I just realized this a week after she called *facepalm* And now I can't get a hold of her *facepalm*

Anyway - I'm probably going to decline the satellite campus and stay on the waiting list for chapel hill. Just letting everyone know that there is movement/activity on the UNC waitlist.

Also, I am out of state.

Just talked to Pam Goldston. There are still spaces for the satellite campus. Chapel Hill is still full.

Just talked to Pam Goldston. There are still spaces for the satellite campus. Chapel Hill is still full.

Damn...

So was the story that "everybody on the waitlist got in last year" just a myth? B/c that really gave me some hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn...

So was the story that "everybody on the waitlist got in last year" just a myth? B/c that really gave me some hope.
No, that was a fact. She said most cancellations happen in July/August. So sit tight.

Do they call or email you about a spot opening?

For the satellite campus, they call you
Well, yes, I'm not interested in that anymore as I declined admission to ECity campus. I'm just wondering if they call or email if you got pulled off the wait list for main campus.

Well, yes, I'm not interested in that anymore as I declined admission to ECity campus. I'm just wondering if they call or email if you got pulled off the wait list for main campus.
Crap...I didn't realize it was you (I didn't look at the username) - otherwise I wouldn't have responded :laugh:

Good luck with the waiting list.
It's pretty late in the admission cycle - late enough to realize that I will probably not be going to UNC. Even if a spot opens up, I do not think I will have time to get an apartment and all that stuff.

Crap...I didn't realize it was you (I didn't look at the username) - otherwise I wouldn't have responded :laugh:

Good luck with the waiting list.
It's pretty late in the admission cycle - late enough to realize that I will probably not be going to UNC. Even if a spot opens up, I do not think I will have time to get an apartment and all that stuff.

desmoulins,

Don't give up hope if your concern is the apartment and logistics of Chapel Hill. It's rather easy to get around due to public transportation and apartments/houses are available in spades. If you want to go to UNC, it's quite possible to set everything up with minimal time.

desmoulins,

Don't give up hope if your concern is the apartment and logistics of Chapel Hill. It's rather easy to get around due to public transportation and apartments/houses are available in spades. If you want to go to UNC, it's quite possible to set everything up with minimal time.
I heard from someone who works at UNC that some students have to commute from like 45 minutes away. Is that not true?

I heard from someone who works at UNC that some students have to commute from like 45 minutes away. Is that not true?

I mean only if you choose to. I've been looking at apartment availability, and it seems to be very reassuring. Also, July- August is when the most cancellations happen per Pam Goldston, so just have faith! Seriously, I'm still convinced all the wait list will go through.

I mean only if you choose to. I've been looking at apartment availability, and it seems to be very reassuring. Also, July- August is when the most cancellations happen per Pam Goldston, so just have faith! Seriously, I'm still convinced all the wait list will go through.

Thank you for being so optimistic! :)

It gives me hope!

45 minutes away? Some people may CHOOSE to do that, but it's definitely NOT a necessity. I work for a pharmaceutical company in Chapel Hill and quite a few coworkers work in Mebane (15 minutes away) because the cost of living is exponentially cheaper. Some people may live in Raleigh due to family circumstances, but that is definitely NOT the norm. There are tons of apartments in the area and I would be shocked if you had to commute more than 20 minutes.

Anyone heard back yet?
No, it's time to email her again. Btw, there were only 30 in-state people on the wait list to begin with. I know some people have gotten in, so it must be around 20 now, even though it's just a mere speculation.

Sooo Mrs. Goldston called me today with the news I've been waiting for: I'm off the waitlist and into the Pharmacy School for this Autumn!

Sooo Mrs. Goldston called me today with the news I've been waiting for: I'm off the waitlist and into the Pharmacy School for this Autumn!

Congrats!

I hate UNC at the moment. I start school in about a week and UNC doesn't start Aug. 24. So hopefully I'll hear if I get in or not before Aug. 18 so I don't have to start school and wait another damn week wondering if I got in or not.

congrats!! i know you've been waiting a long time for that call. :thumbup:

Congratulations! I'm so glad everything worked out for you!! And they made you wait long enough too lol

What about you? Have you heard anything?
I haven't heard anything but I am moving to Iowa at the end of the week. I would guess that there won;t be much movement anymore at most schools, especially one so highly regarded as UNC. (Maybe OSU and Cincinnati might have movement since they are on the quarter system and therefore start later but for most on the semester system I would guess that it's pretty much set.) It's so late that if UNC called me, it'd be too much work to possibly go there at this point (find a place, break lease with Iowa place, figure out how to get all my stuff there, paperwork, etc). School starts on the 23rd at Iowa.

I'll be a proud Hawkeye in the fall.
Good luck to everyone still waiting. Hopefully I'm wrong about not having a lot of movement.

I haven't heard anything but I am moving to Iowa at the end of the week. I would guess that there won;t be much movement anymore at most schools, especially one so highly regarded as UNC. (Maybe OSU and Cincinnati might have movement since they are on the quarter system and therefore start later but for most on the semester system I would guess that it's pretty much set.) It's so late that if UNC called me, it'd be too much work to possibly go there at this point (find a place, break lease with Iowa place, figure out how to get all my stuff there, paperwork, etc). School starts on the 23rd at Iowa.

I'll be a proud Hawkeye in the fall.
Good luck to everyone still waiting. Hopefully I'm wrong about not having a lot of movement.
It's still great you have plan B!
I'm glad in not the only one in this desperate attempt to move in time for classes on the 24th. Only I have to work all this week and only have the next week to find a place and move.
Good luck withe everything!

It's still great you have plan B!
I'm glad in not the only one in this desperate attempt to move in time for classes on the 24th. Only I have to work all this week and only have the next week to find a place and move.
Good luck withe everything!
OMG you haven't found a place yet???? You better start cracking!!!

I have a place in Iowa - I drove down there with a friend at the end of June. I was late in the apartment finding game (it's a college town so there are a lot of students looking for apartments) and there were a few not so desirable options (too expensive, shady area, etc.). Hopefully you're able to find a good place. If not, just start looking early next year so you only have to deal with a not so great apartment for one year.

But the packing/moving thing last minute kind of sucks. I'm only giving myself a week before classes start (a few days before orientation) I really don't need to give myself a ton of time to get settled like some people do, but it does make it a lot less hectic. But it's my own damn fault though - I procrastinate too much and then I am under pressure to move quickly lol

OMG you haven't found a place yet???? You better start cracking!!!

I have a place in Iowa - I drove down there with a friend at the end of June. I was late in the apartment finding game (it's a college town so there are a lot of students looking for apartments) and there were a few not so desirable options (too expensive, shady area, etc.). Hopefully you're able to find a good place. If not, just start looking early next year so you only have to deal with a not so great apartment for one year.

But the packing/moving thing last minute kind of sucks. I'm only giving myself a week before classes start (a few days before orientation) I really don't need to give myself a ton of time to get settled like some people do, but it does make it a lot less hectic. But it's my own damn fault though - I procrastinate too much and then I am under pressure to move quickly lol

No I honestly did not think I'd get in. I mean, I hoped to but realistically I didn't think I would. And of course, by Murphy's Law lol. It's ok, we are going to look at places Monday and move by Thursday hopefully. It's hard to judge from internet ads about the apartments. A couple looked nice and inexpensive and then I looked at reviews and police crime report-- and the first impression passed with flying colors... It's a tricky concept, especially in a rush. End up being stuck in some less than attractive situation.

Now I'm sitting here wishing that I could have applied last year and gotten in.

I really wish that it happens 2 years in a row, that everyone on the waitlist gets the chance to get in.

They want you to dress nice since you will be taking your class photo on the first day. This will probably be the last time until graduation that all of the students from both sites will be there at the same time.

Do we have to attend both 20th and 24th? I'm moving and afraid I won't make it in time for Friday orientation. Anyone know anything about this?
Also, anyone bought clickers and books yet?

Got in off the out-of-state waitlist today. Not sure what I'm gonna do :(

Got in off the out-of-state waitlist today. Not sure what I'm gonna do :(

Yeah, in the same boat. Apartment market is pretty much hopeless... I don't know what to do myself. I know I will attend, might have to live out an ice cream truck though...

Yeah, in the same boat. Apartment market is pretty much hopeless... I don't know what to do myself. I know I will attend, might have to live out an ice cream truck though...

Hmmmmm ... Where exactly are you looking? I live in Chapel Hill and there are literally TONS of apartments in the area that have vacancies. Personally, I would look towards Mebane if you wanted to find a deal. You will have a 15-20 minute commute, but it's INCREDIBLY cheap out there and there are always apartments available.

Craigslist is also UBER beneficial; I found my condo rental on there and I know that in my neighborhood (Finley Forest) there are TONS of condos that are actively seeking renters. I THINK that you can get a 2 bedroom/2 bath for $900-1000 and a 3 bedroom/2.5 bath for around $1200 as a rental. It's not UBER cheap, but it's definitely workable.

I live in an apartment (Foxcroft Apartments if you're wondering) about 10-15 mins away from campus (by car) and I'm sure you can find good apartments in this area. Although if you do live near campus, I would suggest taking the buses to school b/c I hear parking is hard to find. That's what I'll be doing if I get in.

By the way, last week for those of us who are still waiting. Good luck to all!

If not, there's always next year ;)

Do we have to attend both 20th and 24th? I'm moving and afraid I won't make it in time for Friday orientation. Anyone know anything about this?
Also, anyone bought clickers and books yet?

You are supposed to attend both days of orientation. If you are not going to make it for Friday, I would inform the school.

Hmmmmm ... Where exactly are you looking? I live in Chapel Hill and there are literally TONS of apartments in the area that have vacancies. Personally, I would look towards Mebane if you wanted to find a deal. You will have a 15-20 minute commute, but it's INCREDIBLY cheap out there and there are always apartments available.

Craigslist is also UBER beneficial; I found my condo rental on there and I know that in my neighborhood (Finley Forest) there are TONS of condos that are actively seeking renters. I THINK that you can get a 2 bedroom/2 bath for $900-1000 and a 3 bedroom/2.5 bath for around $1200 as a rental. It's not UBER cheap, but it's definitely workable.

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't want to live 30 minutes away (Mebane) or in an incredibly cheap apartments and solve maintenance issues all year long. But that's a good pointer, thank you for you advice. We'll keep looking, Going out there today and probably I'll have to stay the night somewhere to make it to orientation. I might have to compromise- can't be too picky right now.

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't want to live 30 minutes away (Mebane) or in an incredibly cheap apartments and solve maintenance issues all year long. But that's a good pointer, thank you for you advice. We'll keep looking, Going out there today and probably I'll have to stay the night somewhere to make it to orientation. I might have to compromise- can't be too picky right now.

On the bright side, public transportation is pretty reliable in Chapel Hill. Of course, Mebane is MUCH too far away for public transportation. Having said that, beggers can't be choosers. However, if you live east of campus, you could always park at the Friday Center and take the bus line to campus. I think that it's a 15 minute ride according to my friends in med school.

BTW, since you are technically a graduate student, you can occasionally get a nifty discount on apartments. I was heading north on Greensboro street from Open Eye (common coffee house in Carrboro) and there is one really nice complex, with vacancies, and they offer a free months rent for graduate students.

On the bright side, public transportation is pretty reliable in Chapel Hill. Of course, Mebane is MUCH too far away for public transportation. Having said that, beggers can't be choosers. However, if you live east of campus, you could always park at the Friday Center and take the bus line to campus. I think that it's a 15 minute ride according to my friends in med school.

BTW, since you are technically a graduate student, you can occasionally get a nifty discount on apartments. I was heading north on Greensboro street from Open Eye (common coffee house in Carrboro) and there is one really nice complex, with vacancies, and they offer a free months rent for graduate students.
What is the name of it?

You are supposed to attend both days of orientation. If you are not going to make it for Friday, I would inform the school.

Would you recommend buying books before orientation or after? Will every single class need a book?