Can a Psych Post Bac increase my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenniswonder04

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current grad student in a clinical/applied California MA Program in Counseling Psych with the primarily training students for MFT/LPCC licensure. I am at the end of my program and I am currently in practicum obtaining my hours in order to graduate. I had always been interested in doing research but I have never proactively pursued any research experience. Research intrigues me and I enjoy the scientific methods behind Psych. However, I know that I am nowhere near completive for a Ph.D. program. I majored in psych in my undergrad at a relatively small school and had no research training or exposure there. I graduated with a very low 3.10 GPA and no so stellar academic record.

In my current program I have been much more focused and challenged and have managed a 3.8 GPA. However, I know that grad school GPA is weighted much less than undergrad GPA. Further, my program does not focus on research but more on developing clinical practitioners.

I have looked at many doc programs and my interests tend to be more in the Counseling Psych arena. There are some schools I have narrowed down because I like their program and also have stellar faculty with similar interests of mine. Again, I am not at all completive for any of these program.

My question is whether attending a Post Bac psych program (post MA) in order to get research experience would help me become more competitive in the long run. There are some good post bac programs out there albeit, expensive. But I do want to increase my chances in the application process.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest working as a research assistant for a few years rather than getting a post bac.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed--rather than attending a formal post-bac program, since it sounds like the main thing you need is research experience, trying to find work as a research assistant would be more helpful (and may even include a salary). Worst-case, you can offer to volunteer if you can't find any paid positions.

Reactions: 1 user