Can anyone offer their opinions on which school is best overall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdqpdq

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
LECOM-B because it's cheap and has very well established extensive GME programs.

ACOM would be second. They have started GME, but not nearly enough and most are in primary care. However, they have decent rotation sites and their students did match really well.

All the rest are trash.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, but I probably wouldn’t put too much weight into the opinion of someone who calls four US medical schools trash. Ask current students if they are happy at their school, see if the residencies you are interested in receive people from that school on a consistent basis. Otherwise, your test scores, experiences, interests, and achievements are what you make them to be.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, but I probably wouldn’t put too much weight into the opinion of someone who calls four US medical schools trash. Ask current students if they are happy at their school, see if the residencies you are interested in receive people from that school on a consistent basis. Otherwise, your test scores, experiences, interests, and achievements are what you make them to be.
OP probably shouldn't take advice from a pre-med either. I have my reasons for calling them trash. What are your reasons? Those schools would be Ok if OP didn't have any other options, but the education and outcome at those schools are absolutely abysmal compared to other schools. Even their students would attest to that. Where exactly do you think I get my info about those schools from anyway? I mean there's a real bias against DOs already, and med school is already a big hoop to jump through, there's really no need to add more hoops on your path to residency by going to one of those schools. That's all I meant by trash.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
LECOM-B all the way, LMU-DCOM has an accreditation warning, LUCOM, KYCOM, WCUCOM have poor reputations. I personally interviewed at LECOM (seton hill) and loved it (obviously I cannot speak specifically on the LECOM-B)

Reactions: 1 user
I am very happy with this list of school, but regadless of my opinion what school would you choose based off of stats, reputation, etc..

LUCOM
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
KYCOM
WCUCOM
LECOM-B

Thanks!
I can't recommend Wm Carey, LUCOM. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.

Wm Carey: VERY high attrition rates and only a 92% placement rate for their Class of 2018. That means 8% of their grads are now unemployed, NOT doing residency. No SOAP, no scramble, no TRI. This is simply NOT acceptable. I expect they'll be put on probation very soon.

LUCOM: I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; they’re disingenuous about whether their strict lifestyle rules apply to medical students (they do); and their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology.

From the wise gyngyn: Liberty is poorly regarded due to the history of intolerance of their founding fathers. This school's reputation for intolerance puts its grads at a disadvantage at many reputable residency programs.

LMU: granted continuing Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. “Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring: This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.”

This is the only COM that has this level of accreditation status right now.

Reactions: 4 users

No, he's right. Those schools are trash and I would never suggest an applicant to apply to them. Do all of them have some phenomenal residency candidates? Yes, and it doesn't change anything because those students will straight up tell you they succeeded in spite of their school and not because of it.

Reactions: 1 users