Can DO Become a MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronez420

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I was talking to one of the doctors today and they were telling me if your doing DO in your 2nd year of DO you can take an exam and along with your DO degree you get an MD as well...

is something like this possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Ronez420 said:
Hello guys,

I was talking to one of the doctors today and they were telling me if your doing DO in your 2nd year of DO you can take an exam and along with your DO degree you get an MD as well...

No. You can take both the M.D. and D.O. boards, and thus be qualified to be a resident in an M.D. or D.O. program (although many M.D. programs will accept the D.O. board exams.)

Additionally, you can become licensed and board certified by all of the M.D. licensing and certifying bodies by taking all 3 steps of the M.D. boards.

You will retain the D.O. degree however.

Both degrees grant you full physician privileges in all states in the U.S.

Not only can you take both boards, but you are legally the same as a MD. If people give you crap about the DO, educate them about what a doctor really is and dismiss the notion of "MD's being the only real doctors"
Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
chadderdo21 said:
Not only can you take both boards, but you are legally the same as a MD. If people give you crap about the DO, educate them about what a doctor really is and dismiss the notion of "MD's being the only real doctors"
Good Luck

I second this.

*if you take the do and md boards then do you get lisenced as an MD and a DO after residency?

are you licensed as a DO and a MD both?

Ronez420 said:
*if you take the do and md boards then do you get lisenced as an MD and a DO after residency?

are you licensed as a DO and a MD both?

You are licensed as a physician.

Your degree is D.O.

There are 2 possible degrees you can get enroute to becoming a physician.

You are licensed under the M.D.s boards, however that does not alter the degree you have earned.

You can never get MD and DO license. You MD or DO is a degree only.

Once you are finished your degree you do your residency...either DO or MD or sometimes one year DO (rotation PGY1) and 2 years MD.

It is like getting a BS (Science Psychology) or a BA (Art Psychology). Both very similar and in some places identical. Maybe BA you take one or two more or different classes.

Similar to different names of MD degrees around the world.

docbill said:
You can never get MD and DO license. You MD or DO is a degree only.

Once you are finished your degree you do your residency...either DO or MD or sometimes one year DO (rotation PGY1) and 2 years MD.

It is like getting a BS (Science Psychology) or a BA (Art Psychology). Both very similar and in some places identical. Maybe BA you take one or two more or different classes.

Similar to different names of MD degrees around the world.

Bill, let's clarify something. Physician licensure is based upon completion of step 3 of either the COMLEX or USMLE. If we are to consider one of them DO licensure, and the other MD licensure, then yes, DO's can complete the MD licensure. The degree will obviously be unchanged, so one will still be a DO and not an MD.

Once you complete your residency, you can be board certified under one of many MD or DO associations (such as the american board of emergency medicine or the american osteopathic board of emergency medicine.) At this point you can become board certified with the MD or DO boards.

Thus you will be licensed and board certified through the allopathic route, and will retain the same exact qualifications that MD's have. At this point, there is no difference whatsoever between you and an MD, as far as qualifications are concerned. You will still have the DO initials after your name, however.

Ronez420 said:
Hello guys,

No!

First of all, it really doesnt matter later on MD/DO, it depends on ur work ethic and if ur a nice person or just an a$$.

BUT to answer OP, there is a way!! Do a search on google: Antigua Program. Then link around. They have a program to convert DO to MD without additional years. So u get a DO and MD (Carribean) degrees. I think it costs couple thousand dollars. It's basically a money making thing for Antigua I think. But there u go....u have ur answer. :D

PJ1120 said:
First of all, it really doesnt matter later on MD/DO, it depends on ur work ethic and if ur a nice person or just an a$$.

BUT to answer OP, there is a way!! Do a search on google: Antigua Program. Then link around. They have a program to convert DO to MD without additional years. So u get a DO and MD (Carribean) degrees. I think it costs couple thousand dollars. It's basically a money making thing for Antigua I think. But there u go....u have ur answer. :D

yup, they did it in California in the 60's with all of the DO's

---> it did help the profession, but no need to keep it up

i'm sure you'd put that MD after your name with pride (not)

Actually, it may seem sad, but it was that single action that allowed DO's to really make the advancements that they have, when you consider that California essentially said they considered an MD equivalent to a DO.

Yes, you can become an MD after you get a DO, by applying for and attending an MD-granting medical college.

i have heard of a very select few US allo schools who take incoming 3rd year transfers from DO schools...But like all transfers only in really compelling cases and only w/ very qualified students...Not sure what these programs are but I do think this exists.

crys20 said:
i have heard of a very select few US allo schools who take incoming 3rd year transfers from DO schools...But like all transfers only in really compelling cases and only w/ very qualified students...Not sure what these programs are but I do think this exists.

it's just like any other transfer (you can transfer between MD schools or from a DO to an MD school, but it is very very rare)

and, "because you want different initials by your name" will not be a good enough reason for them to even consider looking at your application

right on...neither will a dislike for your OMM class.

you can in NYCOM.
Actually, NYCOM has this program called APEP, for FMGs who want an American license, and some of them, once they get into the residency, take all steps of USMLE, and list only MD letters after their name, even though they can put both, MD,DO. So they get their residencies as US grads, which is easier if they went as FMGs, but call themselves MDs only, since it raises fewer if any questions.
It is just a little anecdote,but usually as you are certified, there is really no problem what letters you have after your name.

Khirurg said:
you can in NYCOM.
Actually, NYCOM has this program called APEP, for FMGs who want an American license, and some of them, once they get into the residency, take all steps of USMLE, and list only MD letters after their name, even though they can put both, MD,DO. So they get their residencies as US grads, which is easier if they went as FMGs, but call themselves MDs only, since it raises fewer if any questions.
It is just a little anecdote,but usually as you are certified, there is really no problem what letters you have after your name.

Otherwise many FMGs are MBBS w/o the USMLE cert that allows them to write MD. Our micr prof is an MBBS and many students think she has some wierd Master's Degree.