Can doctors carry their instruments on a plane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoboCommander

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say you are a surgeon and want to carry your first aid kit and scapal blades, and some other medical/surgical instruments and some painkillers with you on the airplane. Say you want to treat your family who lives in a 3rd world country in the middle of nowhere. Is it allowed?

Members don't see this ad.

Say you are a surgeon and want to carry your first aid kit and scapal blades, and some other medical/surgical instruments and some painkillers with you on the airplane. Say you want to treat your family who lives in a 3rd world country in the middle of nowhere. Is it allowed?

Sure, in your checked luggage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prescription medications are fine. I once had a knee hammer in my bag. the security quizzed me as to what it was and checked if it was sharp and all that....

The bigger, more obvious question is why you'd keep your family in a 3rd world country? I mean, if I was a whiz with the "scapal", I'd prolly set my family up somewhere nice, not Haiti. :idea:

YMMV.

The bigger, more obvious question is why you'd keep your family in a 3rd world country? I mean, if I was a whiz with the "scapal", I'd prolly set my family up somewhere nice, not Haiti. :idea:

YMMV.

The immigration people don't allow them to come to America. I have a huge extended family of about 50 relatives living in a poor remote area in China. When I become a surgeon I will be a superdoctor!

The immigration people don't allow them to come to America. I have a huge extended family of about 50 relatives living in a poor remote area in China. When I become a surgeon I will be a superdoctor!

You should become a Family Practitioner... unless your entire extended family only suffers from appendicitis. Anyway, assuming you will check everything in (don't try carrying a scalpel onto a plane), You can carry any equipment you can get your hands on. However, you cant truck a pharmacy with you. Besides that, you cant legally acquire your own pharmacy. You can only have meds that are prescribed to YOU, even if you're a doctor.

I hate to be a kill-joy, but I really cant imagine what good you would be able to do with a first aid kit, some surgical instruments, and a bottle of Advil.

Having done plenty of overseas medical/surgical missions, I find that DHL shipping works well. None of us had to carry instruments on a plane and found that all of our equipment arrived well.

How do medical missions work then?

I'm pretty sure we trucked what would constitute a small pharmacy with us when I went to Haiti on my mission trip. Nothing too exotic or crazy, but definitely a few antimalarials, antibiotics and other meds that you wouldn't get OTC.

Don't think we had a problem with customs, either.

So here's my question, I've been using venom for experimental therapy for neuromuscular conditions. Can I take my Snakes on a Plane?

Ed

So here's my question, I've been using venom for experimental therapy for neuromuscular conditions. Can I take my Snakes on a Plane?

[SIZE=-1]Not unless you have a problem with someone breaking out the phrase, "I'm tired of these motha ****ing snakes on this motha ****ing plane!!!!"[/SIZE]