Can hours spent teaching Sunday School count towards volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drawingdentist

Dental Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I have been teaching Sunday School consistently for more than 3 years now. I understand that time preaching the bible might not be considered community service by some but besides teaching the bible I had a role as a mentor to the kids I taught. I would call them to check up on them every week, plan trips and drive the kids back and forth if they had no transportation. In addition, I was in charge of arts and crafts time and have built relationships with these students outside Sunday school. Should I include this as volunteering?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Yes, it does count. Volunteering is using your free time in any activity without being paid. I definitely would put that there and if you can put it in your personal statement that's awesome! I know schools like Loma Linda would like that a lot! Especially since it is more religious based.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! Yes, it does count. Volunteering is using your free time in any activity without being paid. I definitely would put that there and if you can put it in your personal statement that's awesome! I know schools like Loma Linda would like that a lot! Especially since it is more religious based.
Thank you so much for your response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I was also a teacher for Sunday school as well. I wrote a short description of it in my volunteer experience and even on some secondary essays, and none of the schools looked at my experience negatively.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I was also a teacher for Sunday school as well. I wrote a short description of it in my volunteer experience and even on some secondary essays, and none of the schools looked at my experience negatively.
Thank you for your response, will definitely include it then :)

Another fellow church volunteer here. I added it to my app and also had nothing negative about that come up!

YES. Definitely include it.